• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taylor looks to add moves

scpanther22

Taylor is going to make the team. Even if he didn't see a lot of play defensively he was used a fair amount on special teams and did a good job of it. If nothing else that will earn him points with Fox and the rest of the coaching staff.

I think it would be a good Idea to carry 5 DEs.

take something from the Giants when they won the super bowl, if you can keep the pass rush comming with fresh legs into the 4th quarter you are gonna get the sacks and the turnovers, with our lack of DT pass rush ( and IMO general DT weakness besides Kemo ) I think having our ends create pressure consitently throughout the game is going to be needed.

and Taylor fitting Meeks style should help him.

now to get the roster space to have 5 DEs, I dont know someone said if Goodson works out at KR/PR/RB/WR he will help save a spot or two.

this is a prob..we did this last year..and what happens is our DE get pressure but the QB just steps up because our DT are doing nothing..this or the OT will just push the DE around thats when we need the DT to put the rush on.

I think it would be a good Idea to carry 5 DEs.

take something from the Giants when they won the super bowl, if you can keep the pass rush comming with fresh legs into the 4th quarter you are gonna get the sacks and the turnovers, with our lack of DT pass rush ( and IMO general DT weakness besides Kemo ) I think having our ends create pressure consitently throughout the game is going to be needed.

and Taylor fitting Meeks style should help him.

now to get the roster space to have 5 DEs, I dont know someone said if Goodson works out at KR/PR/RB/WR he will help save a spot or two.

i agree. we need to have 9-10 on the DL and i fully believe we can have 9 on the 53 man roster without sacrificing too much depth other places. we HAVE to keep that constant pressure on the QBs this year more than ever. we have to have the fresh legs to do it. we have to have no less than 18 roster spots dedicated to the Oline.

this year is going to be won or lost in the trenches.

No, that definitely was not me.

I'm Sorry then. It's hard to remember all those people that were on the "Predator" bandwagon, or the one's who were sure that Taylor would fail (or more likely wanted him to fail) just because he went to UNC.

I think that Taylor makes it and Brinkley is the odd man out. Taylor has good speed and agility which makes a great rotation. I'm looking forward to seeing what and how we do in Preseason. But I say we should move Brayton to DT, Pep at RE, Brown at LE rotate Johnson and Taylor on unexpected defensive plays. But the toss up is still btw Johnson and Brown. We'll c

He is on the bubble but I dont see him getting cut. There are always gonna be injuries and if not he still was very good last year as a Rookie. The will find a spot for him unless he just has a horrible camp.

It don't matter one bit who you or I like, though. Fox likes Taylor...that does matter. He may still be cut just because of the numbers, but he has a much better chance than you think he does.

I don't think it's at all out of the question for Johnson and Brayton to both play some DT either, since both of them have already done it before, and Meeks is not averse to using undersized DT's to rush the passer.

For the record, I liked McClover too...until I realized that he can't play the DE position. Taylor has already proven that he's better than McClover ever was or ever will be, though.

Edit...I just noticed that you were talking about who Fox liked. I don't ever remember him mentioning Brinkley unless he was asked a specific question about him though. In fact, I can't even remember anybody asking about Brinkley in the first place.

i rem fox talking about brinkley durning cuts last preseason..when they wanted him over some other guys so they put him on PS..but i dont think he makes the team anyway

this is a prob..we did this last year..and what happens is our DE get pressure but the QB just steps up because our DT are doing nothing..this or the OT will just push the DE around thats when we need the DT to put the rush on.

I know what your saying, I think it was a big problem last season, saw it game in and game out.

but at this point unless one of the DTs on the roster steps up ( lewis may from time to time ) we cant do much about that, but might as well bring as much pressure as possible to make up for it.

The team likes to carry nine DL guys. Looking at what they have now, five of the nine being DEs isn't a huge stretch, especially if guys like Brayton and Johnson can play both spots (a NY Giants style rush scheme).

Brian Baker was easily the most entertaining coach to watch during minicamp. I think he may just turn out to be a steal of a hire. I love that he's teaching a variety of pass rush moves.

Peppers knows his share but it's been pointed out that most of his sacks come on bull rushes. If he were equally successful with a larger arsenal of moves, who knows?

Likewise, Everette Brown's highlights show a decent arsenal but a decided preference for the dip and rip. With a wider variety used consistently and honed under Baker's guidance, he could be just the complementary threat we've needed.

We'll see.

Archived