• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taylor looks to add moves

scpanther22

"(Baker helps) you get to focus on the negative things -- which for me is being a one-move guy. I'm trying to pattern myself to be a guy that always keeps the offensive line guessing. When you keep the offensive line guessing, you'll have a good day."

Speaking for myself, I like change," Taylor said. "I don't like the same stuff every day. With Coach Baker, we've got drills thrown at us every day since mini-camp. For me personally, I like it, because you're working different things

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-1/negative-focus-positive-result/2dc7f366-da2b-4e9f-9d2c-3acfd0e64ab8

He seems to be one of the guys on the bubble unless we keep 5 DEs. What are his chances of making the roster this year??

i agree a lot of people think he is a lock to make the team and i dont see it like that...5 DEs i still dont see but you never know

This.

I can see us keeping 5 DEs unless Brown plays lights-out in TC. Going by last year and the history of Meeks, Brayton could be considered a DE/DT tweener.

And this.

the only way i say he sticks is that we have brayton as a DE/DT..

Taylor fits the mold of Meek's D from Indy. Not saying our D will be the same, we have different personnel to utilize, but Taylor does fit something he's familiar with.

4 DEs (Pep, Johnson, Brown, Taylor)

4 DTs (Kemo, Lewis, Irvin, +1 TBD in camp, the +1 is our weakest area and I'm not sold on Irvin yet, either)

+ Brayton, who is .5 DE and .5 DT

Brayton doesn't count as just a DE, he counts as both (or neither, depending how you view a half full glass of water). Teams keep the best players usually, so I could see us keeping 5 DE and 3 DT if we don't get an upgrade of talent at DT when/if Pep signs long term. Of course in reality it would be 4.5 DE and 3.5 DT.

too bad he's going to get cut.

Weren't you one of those who tried to tell me that McClover was a lock to make it over Taylor?:D

Seriously though, Taylor had about as much production as Charles Johnson did as a rookie, and he did it with less playing time. I wouldn't count him out just yet...especially with Meeks on board. Speed is definitely an asset in his defense.

Besides...John Fox likes Taylor. You can tell by how many times he brings his name up when reporters ask him a general question about his DE's. That doesn't mean Taylor is a lock, of course, but it has to count for something when you have the HC in your corner.

Weren't you one of those who tried to tell me that McClover was a lock to make it over Taylor?:D

Seriously though, Taylor had about as much production as Charles Johnson did as a rookie, and he did it with less playing time. I wouldn't count him out just yet...especially with Meeks on board. Speed is definitely an asset in his defense.

Besides...John Fox likes Taylor. You can tell by how many times he brings his name up when reporters ask him a general question about his DE's. That doesn't mean Taylor is a lock, of course, but it has to count for something when you have the HC in your corner.

fox liked brinkley a lot too but i still think he will be cut

fox liked brinkley a lot too but i still think he will be cut

It don't matter one bit who you or I like, though. Fox likes Taylor...that does matter. He may still be cut just because of the numbers, but he has a much better chance than you think he does.

I don't think it's at all out of the question for Johnson and Brayton to both play some DT either, since both of them have already done it before, and Meeks is not averse to using undersized DT's to rush the passer.

For the record, I liked McClover too...until I realized that he can't play the DE position. Taylor has already proven that he's better than McClover ever was or ever will be, though.

Edit...I just noticed that you were talking about who Fox liked. I don't ever remember him mentioning Brinkley unless he was asked a specific question about him though. In fact, I can't even remember anybody asking about Brinkley in the first place.

I think it would be a good Idea to carry 5 DEs.

take something from the Giants when they won the super bowl, if you can keep the pass rush comming with fresh legs into the 4th quarter you are gonna get the sacks and the turnovers, with our lack of DT pass rush ( and IMO general DT weakness besides Kemo ) I think having our ends create pressure consitently throughout the game is going to be needed.

and Taylor fitting Meeks style should help him.

now to get the roster space to have 5 DEs, I dont know someone said if Goodson works out at KR/PR/RB/WR he will help save a spot or two.

Archived