• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bucky Brooks dont know $$$$

CatfanMO

As others have said, this list isn't a list of the best backs so much as a list of the most durable consistent backs which by necessity requires that the runner is a featured back in primarily a one back system.

The argument could be made though that Turner has been no more consistent than Williams and that Westbrook is no longer durable. In fact Williams had more yards rushing than Westbrook has running and receiving.

I see his point. The premise is WORKHORSE BACKS. To me that means teams where the carry split isn't close to even. The five guys he names are THE bellcows for their offense right now.

Pretty much.

He used to be an NFL scout. Browns were his last team I think.

Actually, his last team was the Panthers, from 2003 to 2007.

(I knew he was a Panthers scout, but had to check his bio for the years)

He started writing bits for for Pro Football Weekly a long time back (a "scout's take" or something of that sort. I think). And while I disagree with leaving Beason off the top 5 ILB list, I've generally found Brooks knows of what he speaks.

Worth noting that in his receiver list, he ranks Steve Smith above Larry Fitzgerald (Andre Johnson is his number one, and Randy Moss second). He also ranks Julius Peppers as the league's third best edge rusher.

I can't overlook him putting Briggs as an ILB. Or the way he deliberately left off running backs because they weren't a "workhorse" even though many weren't situational running backs.

His inclusion of Briggs had to do with the way that he's used in the Bears scheme. that, and the fact that he seems to think that at this point in their respective careers, Briggs might be better than Urlacher.

As to the RB question, I don't see it as that different then those articles that rank the best RB tandem or three-deep QB package. It's just a certain slant on the topic, nothing really more than that intended.

In fairness, we don't really know how good DeAngelo would be if he were the sole "workhorse" back, and honestly I'm fine with that. I'd rather have the best team overall than individual superstars.

His inclusion of Briggs had to do with the way that he's used in the Bears scheme. that, and the fact that he seems to think that at this point in their respective careers, Briggs might be better than Urlacher.

As to the RB question, I don't see it as that different then those articles that rank the best RB tandem or three-deep QB package. It's just a certain slant on the topic, nothing really more than that intended.

In fairness, we don't really know how good DeAngelo would be if he were the sole "workhorse" back, and honestly I'm fine with that. I'd rather have the best team overall than individual superstars.

But he's still relegated to a lot of the roles an OLB has to play. I have no problem with him saying Briggs is better than Urlacher, I have been saying it since about midway through last season. It's that the people who he included do not fit with who really is the best. Maybe there is a bit of him not wanting to put Carolina players up in the top 5 on DE/ILB/WR/OT/OG/RB for being accused of bias but he knows exactly how much better Beason is than a lot of these guys...

Well I would have no problem if it were "top 5 workhorse running backs", but it was top 5 running backs. It's very misleading to the people who open up the page, especially when it's being run alongside Woodson/Faulk's lists which don't make such distinctions.

Actually, his last team was the Panthers, from 2003 to 2007.

D'oh. I had that current media-ex-Browns scout thing confused. That's Jeremy Green who's media and was a scout for the Browns I think. I knew Brooks' name was familiar and that he used to be a scout.

Archived