• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How refreshing, a coach who takes responsibility

JawnyBlaze

John Fox was  a type A person and he was paid quite well. 

I've hoped Rivera could get his act together and have probably defended him for things that I felt weren't his fault too much. Everyone here loved him his first season for being so aggressive. Fan's opinions are formed to easily and change overnight. I was never impressed with Rivera since he was first introduced. Hi words just never made sense but everyone here ate that crap up.

The problem is, he was only paid well after he experienced success. Coming into the job, his pay was nothing special.

JR's philosophy seems to be that he wants to see coaches prove themselves before he opens up the wallet. While I understand his reasoning, he will never get a hot prospect that way. We are destined for more Don Caper, John Fox, Ron Rivera type hires.

The problem is, he was only paid well after he experienced success. Coming into the job, his pay was nothing special.

JR's philosophy seems to be that he wants to see coaches prove themselves before he opens up the wallet. While I understand his reasoning, he will never get a hot prospect that way. We are destined for more Don Caper, John Fox, Ron Rivera type hires.

Of the top coaches, who was paid handsomely to take the job. Jim Harbaugh....but who else? Most of them were just coordinators who proved themselves after being hired. I'm not saying he shouldn't pay for the best but realistically what usually happens around the league?

You want a legit coach?

How about a guy whose defense includes guys like Terrence Newman and Vontaze Burfict whose unit haven't allowed a 300 yard passer in 19 games?

The Walkthrough: Absurd Stats Edition/

I have been on and off this train for a while now.

Personally, I want to bring in someone who can make Cam and this O a top priority.  I want to see the "next step" in Cam's career, and see if he is really a 90-100 million dollar QB before we have to make that call in two years.

Not sure that Zimmer would want to play that ballgame.

I have been on and off this train for a while now.

Personally, I want to bring in someone who can make Cam and this O a top priority. I want to see the "next step" in Cam's career, and see if he is really a 90-100 million dollar QB before we have to make that call in two years.

Not sure that Zimmer would want to play that ballgame.

Take a moment to look up the Bengals coaching staff.

Pay special attention to the guy with the title "special assistant to the head coach / running backs coach".

Take a moment to look up the Bengals coaching staff.

Pay special attention to the guy with the title "special assistant to the head coach / running backs coach".

Give me that deal today, and I would be stoked.

Why do I feel that JR will not make that move though?

Coughlin is not coming to Carolina.  He has two Superbowl rings and a solid regular season record.  He's been successful everywhere he's been.  Why would a 67 year old coach want to come to one of the worst franchises in the NFL to crap on the twilight of his HOF career?

Give me that deal today, and I would be stoked.

Why do I feel that JR will not make that move though?

I'm thinking more about Dave Gettleman right now.

Gettleman is tight with Ernie Accorsi.

Accorsi helped run the Giants in the 90s, a time when the team was run by a fella named Bill Parcells.

Zimmer was the defensive coordinator for Parcells when he coached the Cowboys.

Parcells is one of many who believes Zimmer is overdue for a head coaching job.

If the dots connect...

I'm thinking more about Dave Gettleman right now.

Gettleman is tight with Ernie Accorsi.

Accorsi helped run the Giants in the 90s, a time when the team was run by a fella named Bill Parcells.

Zimmer was the defensive coordinator for Parcells when he coached the Cowboys.

Parcells is one of many who believes Zimmer is overdue for a head coaching job.

There's often a reason that a coordinator hasn't made the step up to a head coaching job.  Rivera was interviewed by something like 10 teams for a head coaching job and was rejected by all of them except the brilliant Carolina Panthers.  Zimmer has gone through tragedy after tragedy so maybe that's his reason, or maybe he's just comfortable being a coordinator.  I don't know how many teams have interviewed him for a head coaching position but I'm sure he's had some chances.  Sometimes a coach understands that you might have a better chance winning a Superbowl as a coordinator than as a head coach.  Lord knows he'd have a better chance winning one in Cincinnati than in Carolina (as crazy as that sounds....)  Not all coordinators are gunning for head coaching positions like Chudzinski.  

.......  Bring in a big name coach.  A Cowher, Gruden type.  

I hear ya on this.   I do not know much about Wisenhunt , but maybe add him to the list.  Better yet, lets convince Dungy to come out of retirement.  Bottom line is no more coordinators and no college coaches.  Bring in a guy who has actually won on the NFL level.  Otherwise you end up spending time on finding out first if the coach is any good.  Forget that.  To figure out and see if we actually do have the talent we need to take the question mark about our HC away.  

Archived