• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How refreshing, a coach who takes responsibility

JawnyBlaze

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/08/coughlin-wants-to-take-blame-off-elis-shoulders/

I think this may have been alluded to in another thread, but here's a link to Coughlin taking ownership of the responsibility of the team's performance like a HC should.  And this is a guy who's already more than proven himself able to take a team that is NOT the best in the league by any stretch and win the league championship...twice.  If anyone on that club is above reproach it's Coughlin.  Hell, if the Giants fire him I honestly wouldn't mind if we rented him for 4 or 5 years.  I know there'd be growing pains, but with the abundance of young talent on this team, it would set a foundation and mental toughness that would last well beyond his tenure.

We are going to be in a pickle.

Any big name new coach will want his own QB.  Whether that is Cam or not, remains to be seen.  What if Coughlin told Gman, "hey, I will come, but not convinced we keep Newton".  Are you on board?

I remember players were complaining how strict he was. There were a few cartoons made about it which was hilarious. That just shows you that winning cures everything. Let us win like 5 in the row, a lot of these threads will disappear.

Yea, I remember that too.  That's what I meant by growing pains.  But I firmly believe it's that heavy hand that keeps his team mentally tough at the end of the season when other teams are wearing down that's won them two SBs.  That's why they tend to get hot at the end of the season.

Any big name new coach will want his own QB.  Whether that is Cam or not, remains to be seen.  What if Coughlin told Gman, "hey, I will come, but not convinced we keep Newton".  Are you on board?

That's a tough question.  Ultimately, if Coughlin (or any other HC) let Cam go, brought in their own QB and was successful, that's enough for me.  I want it to be Cam, I fully believe in him and I like him as a person (as much as any disconnected fan can) and a player but my loyalty is to the team.  Not any one player.

I love Cam, but big name coaches are big name coaches for a reason.  A proven SuperBowl winning coach comes in here with a gameplan, and if he thinks Cam isnt the answer, so be it.

In reality though, I think you will see big name coaches look at Cam and see a talented QB who just needs to be shown what it takes to win.  I would be drooling to coach this Panthers team if I were a big name coach looking to get back into coaching.  Its a team expected to lose and nationally a team people laugh at, and if a coach can come in here a win, the legacy grows for them.

This is why I want to see Rivera gone.  Bring in a big name coach.  A Cowher, Gruden type.  

We will never get a good coach as long as Jerry Richardson owns this team.  JR doesn't care about appeasing the fans or even winning(which is apparent with 4 winning seasons in soon to be 19 years) he only cares about his profit margin unfortunately.  I am 100% sure he is one of the laughing stocks amongst the league owners.  

The sooner he doesn't own this team anymore the better off the team will be.

We will never get a good coach as long as Jerry Richardson owns this team. JR doesn't care about appeasing the fans or even winning(which is apparent with 4 winning seasons in soon to be 19 years) he only cares about his profit margin unfortunately. I am 100% sure he is one of the laughing stocks amongst the league owners.

Silliness. Your statement is self-refuting.

You say Richardson doesn't give a poo, he only wants to make money.

Richardson would make a POO load more money if this team was a championship team.

Put away your conspiracy theories. Occam's Razor gives you the only answer you need... Richardson has a bad team because he hires incompetent people to run his team.

Silliness. Your statement is self-refuting.

You say Richardson doesn't give a poo, he only wants to make money.

Richardson would make a POO load more money if this team was a championship team.

Put away your conspiracy theories. Occam's Razor gives you the only answer you need... Richardson has a bad team because he hires incompetent people to run his team.

If you're ok with a 20% winning percentage(in terms of winning seasons) that is your prerogative.  How is it a "conspiracy theory" when the Panthers have only had 4 winning seasons in 19 years?  Here is a tidbit for you, he bought into the NFL for $250 million.  The team is now worth $1.2 billion that is damn near a 400% increase in the value of the team.  As long as he keeps raking in that much money he won't care to put a winning product on the field because he really doesnt have any incentive to spend the money to win because our fanbase will continue to line his pockets no matter what.  If he was as dedicated to our fans as we are to his team we would be contenders every year.

Let his profit margin drop significantly and I bet we would see some big changes with this team.

Also to your point about him hiring incompetent people to run his team, you know why he does this?  It is because he is cheap as hell and doesn't really care about winning.  As the old adage goes "You get what you pay for."

We will not land any legit coach as long as JR is owner.

Successful head coaches are type A's who want control of the team. Jerry is a type A who will not relinquish control and he will not pay any real coach to come here.

We'll get a coach from the giants. It will be shittty perry fewell or super shittty Kevin gilbride.

Zero faith that he will let getts really run this team. We will continue this trip to mediocrity for as long as JR is owner, which could be another 20 years.

John Fox was  a type A person and he was paid quite well. 

I've hoped Rivera could get his act together and have probably defended him for things that I felt weren't his fault too much. Everyone here loved him his first season for being so aggressive. Fan's opinions are formed to easily and change overnight. I was never impressed with Rivera since he was first introduced. Hi words just never made sense but everyone here ate that crap up.

Archived