• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Offseason Spotlight on Delhomme

Liminy

The major reason Jake got this size extension is simple..we had to. Over the last 2-3 years, Marty "Wimpy" (I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today) Hurney restructured Jake's and Peppers contracts several times to free up cap space for other players. Unfortuneately Wimpy didn't read Peppers right and when he refused to sign what was probably the largest defensive player contract (at the time) we were screwed. The restructurings catapulted Peppers salary up to $16.7 million when franchised. Obviously, Marty didn't plan for this and it left us so cap strapped that we were forced to do more creative cap contracts. I believe Jake's restructurings had already guaranteed 8 of his $10 million salary for this year, so we had to go out 5 years and give $20 million guaranteed to be able to free up enough cap space to pay draftees and fill out a 53 man roster.

Hopefully, this teaches Wimpy a lesson about future restructurings, because someday when Tuesday comes the hamburger either won't be there or will be to rotten to eat.

I live in Charlotte and most of the fans were angry when Delhomme got his new contract. They want the Panthers to replace him with The Golden Calf of Bristol. Really I agree. In games against Oakland and Arizona (the playoff one) he threw 24/61; 277 yards; 2 TDs and 9 INTs. Carolina should not have given him the extension and instead they should have gone after a younger QB (maybe made a deal with New England for Cassel). This deal in the long run will not benefit the team and they will be lucky to make the playoffs with their schedule.

Dumbasses never cease to amaze me.

The major reason Jake got this size extension is simple..we had to. Over the last 2-3 years, Marty "Wimpy" (I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today) Hurney restructured Jake's and Peppers contracts several times to free up cap space for other players. Unfortuneately Wimpy didn't read Peppers right and when he refused to sign what was probably the largest defensive player contract (at the time) we were screwed. The restructurings catapulted Peppers salary up to $16.7 million when franchised. Obviously, Marty didn't plan for this and it left us so cap strapped that we were forced to do more creative cap contracts. I believe Jake's restructurings had already guaranteed 8 of his $10 million salary for this year, so we had to go out 5 years and give $20 million guaranteed to be able to free up enough cap space to pay draftees and fill out a 53 man roster.

Hopefully, this teaches Wimpy a lesson about future restructurings, because someday when Tuesday comes the hamburger either won't be there or will be to rotten to eat.

I don't know that Pepper's holdout could have been anticipated. He ends up holding out for months giving us the cold shoulder and now comes back apparently willing to sign a similar deal to the one he turned down 6 months ago. If he had signed it 6 months ago, all the problems and cap space would be fixed. Plus we could have played harder ball with Gross instead of letting him have his way. I agree that his extension to Jake was brought on by necessity but I don't think that he could have anticipated what he had to pay Gross, that Pepper's would want out, and that the contract to Jake would look bad in light of his playoff debacle. For example if we beat Arizona instead of lose, who would be complaining about the Delhomme contract (minus a few malcontents)

We did restructure Pepper's contract repeatedly and that did come back to bite us. And I expect that Hurney realizes it was a mistake. Hurney is still learning as this is his first GM gig. And he already seems to have learned the lesson about going out and getting high priced free agents who rarely live up to their price tag.

So hopefully he does learn from this and manages for all contingencies. Still if Pepper's signs by the 15th and Jake bounces back this year, Hurney will look like a genius by next spring.

It is so nice to read thoughts from Panther Fans. The funny thing is though, when I read post in here, I'm not sure if they're from Panther fans or not. Yeah I admit, Dellhomme is not the best QB in the leage, maybe not even in the top 10 and yes he's taken the bulk of the responsibility for the loss against the Cards. But he has accomplished a lot. Bringing in another QB was a thought in my mind as well, but I never thought that we should get rid of him. You don't get rid of a QB with that type of leadership and especially one that knows the system. You fix his faults and push him by bringing in some comp. I don't know how much faith we have in McCown, the one game he played in, they wouldn't even let him throw the ball. But yet we kept him on the roster. Besides, who else could we have brought in that could make an impact other than Cutler. but his character would have disrupted our chemistry. I would have liked for us to have drafted Freeman or Bomar. But of course Freeman went to high for us to take and we would've been using one of our picks on a QB and not other pressing positions. I think that Fox and Hurney did a great job filling holes with good players. There haven't been many players drafted by these two that didn't pan out or and had poor character issues. I'm looking forward to the season. A True Panther Fan

If Fox would play the same game if he had Elway as our QB as he would with Jake, then heaven help us. I'm afraid, though, he might be right. Statistically speaking, I agree with Fox....running the ball consistently nets you more yardage and scores over the course of a season, and a punt isn't a bad play. But, statistically speaking, only 1 team in 32 wins the Superbowl.

Archived