• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bringing Barner and Stewart into the mix

neverlosethefeeling

I'm really interested to see how they use Barner but I get a feeling it will be sparingly until he proves he can hold onto the football and make the most of his opportunities. I'm wondering if he takes over kick off return duties from Armond Smith or if he gets any sort of significant time as a back this week. Have a feeling he will only see 3-5 snaps on offense as he gets back into game shape, gets healthy, and really learns his role in the offense. Would love to see some read-option with Cam and Barner and I think that would be ideal for Kenjon. We need to find creative ways to get Barner in space to really maximize his potential although I liked that he ran low and downhill for a smaller guy in pre-season. He seems really shifty in tight areas and tends to hide behind offensive linemen and always fall forward. 

I'm really interested to see how they use Barner but I get a feeling it will be sparingly until he proves he can hold onto the football and make the most of his opportunities. I'm wondering if he takes over kick off return duties from Armond Smith or if he gets any sort of significant time as a back this week. Have a feeling he will only see 3-5 snaps on offense as he gets back into game shape, gets healthy, and really learns his role in the offense. Would love to see some read-option with Cam and Barner and I think that would be ideal for Kenjon. We need to find creative ways to get Barner in space to really maximize his potential although I liked that he ran low and downhill for a smaller guy in pre-season. He seems really shifty in tight areas and tends to hide behind offensive linemen and always fall forward.

Why does everyone act like Barner has a fumble issue.

Why does everyone act like Barner has a fumble issue.

Because he fumbled on his first touch in pre-season and had a miscommunication with Jimmy that led to another fumble whether it was directly his fault or not. Not saying it is an issue with him but ball-sercurity sealed our fates in one game already and younger backs typically have trouble handling the rock compared to older guys in the league. He also hadn't played football for about a month until last week so who knows if rust and contact will be a factor for him. 

Glad we're getting Barner and Stewart back..

I'm a little worried about fumbles from the new guys though.  (Stewart is new to the season and has not really had game time in a long time).            Dwill has already dropped the rock that cost us  game and I fully believe that he will not drop the rock again.    I'm not confident that our rookie rb and our rb that just had surgury,  will protect the ball like Dwill, as we move forward.

Because he fumbled on his first touch in pre-season and had a miscommunication with Jimmy that led to another fumble whether it was directly his fault or not. Not saying it is an issue with him but ball-sercurity sealed our fates in one game already and younger backs typically have trouble handling the rock compared to older guys in the league. He also hadn't played football for about a month until last week so who knows if rust and contact will be a factor for him.

Well, Williams has 2 in 3 games and is a vet. Poo happens.

He probably needs to be worked in slowly and take some shots to get use to it again.

I think Barner has potential to be our best overall RB. I hope to see him worked in over the next few weeks

I'm ready for Barner and Stewart to get back b/c it will give us more depth and versatility in the backfield.  Right now I feel at times we are trying to pace DWill so that he can be fresh in the 4th.  With KB and JS, it allows us to have a fresh back in there at all times, not to mention all of them being home run threats.  

I think the best is yet to come for this team.  

I've always wondered why they didn't split halves instead of carries. Have Stew pound them in the first half and have D-lo come in fresh for the second half. It would allow them to get into their rhythm and wear defenses out. Add Barner for change ups and Tolbert for short yardage/fullback/short passes etc..

KB returned to practice last week. Stewart is eligible to come off of PUP in two weeks and looks "strong" according to a Joe Person tweet from today.

And in a soon-to-be-released Person tweet, he will announce that Stewart will go on IR.  I hope I'm wrong here, but I doubt it.  We heard how good he looked offseason just before we found out he was in pain just walking.  Love JStew, but I'm not convinced we'll see him in uniform this year. At all.

Archived