• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Movies- Film vs video

pstall

I'm kinda torn. Film to me gives a movie a more authentic look. Video looks to crisp at times and now with HD it gives strange color that I don't think adds to the overall movie.

It's almost like cd's for music. Sure you got more room to add songs but that compression sucks the ambience out of the song. Yeah vinyl is the daddy but I understand the need for portability.

Some tech is just not as good as some old stuff.

I think that if HD video were around when Hitchcock was making movies, he would have used it.

You don't hear about many people wanting to shoot in 16mm instead of 35mm...

I appreciate directors who can make the mechanics of film, or the process used, work for them in telling their story. You used to be able to get away with a lot of things with film that you can't using video - but you can fix it all in post with video a lot easier.

Lord of the Rings is a great hybrid example of a movie that uses both technologies - shot on film, transferred to HD video for post (digital grading of environments a big part of that) and then back to film. The movie looks great and was put together with care.

Crap like Transformers is just hack directed, with lots of geeks sticking lots of cool stuff on the screen so you don't care. LOTR, for the most part, used the effects to enhance the story and draw you into the characters (although there were a few scenes that were quite over the top) - for example, the Rohirrim getting ready for their charge against the Orcs at Minas Tirith.

Legolas against the Oilphaunt was just retarded.

And yeah, nothing like HD sports - when they do closeups. I find that when for example, they show the whole line of scrimmage, the sampling seems to make people look a lot fuzzier than when the camera focuses on a single person.

Archived