• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predict the starting D line in training camp

panthers55

Im not sure how Brown dosent start. Meeks likes him wayyyy to much. Im not saying that he is the next coming of Dwight Freeney but he has the same skill set and size that Brown does. Id like to see Peppers, Kemo, Lewis, Brown. But Im not going to be surprised if Johnson or Brayton start the first few weeks just to give Brown some time to learn. Same thing with Irvin, he could start by week 5 or 6 if Lewis isnt getting it done.

Im not sure how Brown dosent start. Meeks likes him wayyyy to much. Im not saying that he is the next coming of Dwight Freeney but he has the same skill set and size that Brown does. Id like to see Peppers, Kemo, Lewis, Brown. But Im not going to be surprised if Johnson or Brayton start the first few weeks just to give Brown some time to learn. Same thing with Irvin, he could start by week 5 or 6 if Lewis isnt getting it done.

That is the thing, you know that Brown is going to start at some point, the question is how soon. I think if we had a poor line or were rebuilding, he would start right away like Peppers did in 2002. But I expect that Brown will not be ready by the start of the season. As the season wears on and he proves himself, he will get more playing time.

i think the comparisons to Dwight Freeney are unjust right now...Brown has some downsides that Freeney did not but going againt otah in practice will fix that.

Pretty sure that when Everett Brown is on the field, it'll be at the same time as Peppers.

As far as Peppers backup, I'm sure Johnson will remain his main backup. Meaning, should Johnson break the starting lineup, he'll slide over, and Brayton will step in.

Not going to get my hopes up over Johnson ~ just will hope he'll continue to contribute positively.

Will be interesting to see how much play time Everett Brown gets as the season goes on.

Brayton, Lewis , Kemo, Peppers - 1st and 2nd down

Brown, Johnson, Lewis, Peppers - 3rd down

Why would they switch sides on Kemo and Lewis from last year? Kemo played mostly over the center in a 2 gap read with Brayton playing a 2 gap read over the tackle. Lewis and Peppers both played a 1 gap read in the 3 and 5 techniques.

Lewis isn't very good taking on double teams and needs to spilt the gap and get upfield. iIf you switch Kemo and Lewis you make the left side of our line very vulnerable to running plays.

Do you think that Meeks will switch the line assignments and go more one gap penetrating style or keep Kemo in a 2 gap run stopping style like last year?

And why do you think that Johnson will do better against big heavy guards in pass rush situations than Brayton would, who is arguably faster than Johnson is.

Not criticizing just wanting to see your rationale.

Peppers, Lewis, Kemo, Brayton

Maybe on for sure passing downs

Peppers, Johnson, Brayton, Brown

I would love for them to employ this. Although it makes Lewis much much more expendable, so if we did start doing this I could see a replacement for Lewis on the horizon.

Why would they switch sides on Kemo and Lewis from last year? Kemo played mostly over the center in a 2 gap read with Brayton playing a 2 gap read over the tackle. Lewis and Peppers both played a 1 gap read in the 3 and 5 techniques.

Lewis isn't very good taking on double teams and needs to spilt the gap and get upfield. iIf you switch Kemo and Lewis you make the left side of our line very vulnerable to running plays.

Do you think that Meeks will switch the line assignments and go more one gap penetrating style or keep Kemo in a 2 gap run stopping style like last year?

And why do you think that Johnson will do better against big heavy guards in pass rush situations than Brayton would, who is arguably faster than Johnson is.

Not criticizing just wanting to see your rationale.

I was just listing who might be out there, not how they would line up.

I think Johnson will beat out Brayton this year. The rest of the line will prob be the same with Johnson moving to the middle and Brown playing the Left side on passing downs. I think Brayton will be no more then a rotational guy that will play both DT and LE. With injuries though that could all change.

I would love for them to employ this. Although it makes Lewis much much more expendable, so if we did start doing this I could see a replacement for Lewis on the horizon.

Yea, I don't think Lewis would appreciate being pulled out on passing downs too much.

Archived