• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Predict the starting D line in training camp

panthers55

I figure while we are waiting we can all make predictions about what we will see in training camp. Who will start at the beginning of camp. Who will surprise and win a starting spot. Who will be the backups.

Let us know why you predict what you do. It's slow right now and this will pass the time.

I will go first.

Beginning of camp

LE- Brayton (running and short yardage package)

LE-Johnson (passing downs)

LT- Kemoeatu(running packages) Brayton slides over on passing downs

RT-Lewis (if healthy) If not maybe Hayden orr Irvin

RE-Peppers (Taylor backing him up)

End of Camp

LE- Johnson surprises and starts after bulking up in the offseason.

LT-Kemo with Harvey backing him up

RT-Irvin surprises but Lewis still starts but Irvin gets some work on the second team.

RE-Peppers with Brown as his backup. Taylor will also be quick and deserve a roster spot. We take 5 DEs into final cuts week.

At DT, Hayden wins a spot as well at least until we pick up someone cut by another team or still unsigned. Favorite is on the bubble along with Williams and Irvin. At least 1 or two make it to the practice squad. Irvin make be the surprise at tackle and could earn a roster spot if we are afraid he will not clear waivers and don't want to lose him.

At DE, Hilee and Brown fit the Meeks mold. It will be interesting to see how guys like Brayton do in his new scheme versus quicker pass rushers who may not be as stout against the run. I figure we will keep at least 4 DEs more likely 5.

Agree or disagree and why?????

I figure while we are waiting we can all make predictions about what we will see in training camp. Who will start at the beginning of camp. Who will surprise and win a starting spot. Who will be the backups.

Let us know why you predict what you do. It's slow right now and this will pass the time.

I will go first.

Beginning of camp

LE- Brayton (running and short yardage package)

LE-Johnson (passing downs)

LT- Kemoeatu(running packages) Brayton slides over on passing downs

RT-Lewis (if healthy) If not maybe Hayden orr Irvin

RE-Peppers (Taylor backing him up)

End of Camp

LE- Johnson surprises and starts after bulking up in the offseason.

LT-Kemo with Harvey backing him up

RT-Irvin surprises but Lewis still starts but Irvin gets some work on the second team.

RE-Peppers with Brown as his backup. Taylor will also be quick and deserve a roster spot. We take 5 DEs into final cuts week.

At DT, Hayden wins a spot as well at least until we pick up someone cut by another team or still unsigned. Favorite is on the bubble along with Williams and Irvin. At least 1 or two make it to the practice squad. Irvin make be the surprise at tackle and could earn a roster spot if we are afraid he will not clear waivers and don't want to lose him.

At DE, Hilee and Brown fit the Meeks mold. It will be interesting to see how guys like Brayton do in his new scheme versus quicker pass rushers who may not be as stout against the run. I figure we will keep at least 4 DEs more likely 5.

Agree or disagree and why?????

Agree, and you hit the nail right on the head with the statement that I bolded above. Nice Post.

I'd love to see Brown surprise everyone and grab the starting spot by the end of camp but I think the D-line will stay where it is right now for the most part. I see Brown working in on passing downs in the beginning of the season and maybe starting during the 2nd half of the season once he improves against the run. I am confident Irvin will make the roster, too.

Johnson, Kemo, Lewis, Peppers

Brayton will be thrown in for Johnson when the coaching staff is trying to guess what plays will be running plays, and Brown will be thrown in for Peppers when the coaching staff is trying to guess what plays Peppers will take off.

:lurk5: I think that Brown will break into the starting lineup. Johnson does stand in his way though. But keep in mind of what we gave up to get Brown, we did't do that for him to ride the pine, he'll start and we'll mix it up throughout the season by throwing in Johnson, Taylor and maybe even Brinkley. We can possibly use Brayton more as a DT. His speed and strength will serve us well there.

:lurk5: I think that Brown will break into the starting lineup. Johnson does stand in his way though. But keep in mind of what we gave up to get Brown, we did't do that for him to ride the pine, he'll start and we'll mix it up throughout the season by throwing in Johnson, Taylor and maybe even Brinkley. We can possibly use Brayton more as a DT. His speed and strength will serve us well there.

we wont carry 6 DE...and if brown can hold LE then he will start but i dont know if he can this year..i think charles johnson will start this year and there will be a lot of rotation..with brown

we wont carry 6 DE...and if brown can hold LE then he will start but i dont know if he can this year..i think charles johnson will start this year and there will be a lot of rotation..with brown

How many DEs we keep will be a key issue. We will want to keep Brown obviously and guys like Taylor fit into the speed rush of Meeks. Still Johnson showed good ability to get to the quarterback last year and was improving against the run. Brayton is by far our best run stopper on the left side and still got 4 1/2 sacks of the quarterback.

So which will we keep and how much will Fox influence Meeks to focus on stopping the run versus Meek's previous emphasis of getting to the passer at all costs as quick as possible.

That is why for me it isn't as cut and dried as it was in years past when we knew Trgo's scheme.

end of camp:

LE: Charles Johnson

LT: Tyler Brayton

RT: Maake Kemoeatu

RE: Julius Peppers

passing situations:

LE: Fresh Legs/Charles Johnson

LT: Damione Lewis

RT: Julius Peppers/Fresh Legs

RE: Everette Brown

I really think it's in our best interest to get Tyler Brayton situated as a DT. He has proven before in the past he can play the position, he's JUST big enough, and there's no way he can be worse against the run than Lewis.

Also I think moving Peppers inside on passing situations would allow Brown to really move freely into the backfield with J pep demanding significant attention.

end of camp:

I had forgotten we had signed Fresh Legs to a deal this year. I doubt he makes the roster though. He just doesn't have the size or speed that we need at the position. I think he is camp fodder.:lol:

end of camp:

LE: Charles Johnson

LT: Tyler Brayton

RT: Maake Kemoeatu

RE: Julius Peppers

passing situations:

I really think it's in our best interest to get Tyler Brayton situated as a DT. He has proven before in the past he can play the position, he's JUST big enough, and there's no way he can be worse against the run than Lewis.

Also I think moving Peppers inside on passing situations would allow Brown to really move freely into the backfield with J pep demanding significant attention.

I doubt Brayton plays tackle on run downs. Kemo will be our left tackle on running downs (actually lined up closer to the center last year). Unless we play a 1 gap scheme across the board this year, Johnson and Brayton would get mowed over in run defense. Brayton and Kemo make a much better duo. Johnson can play DE but it would require Kemo to help him from that side. It depends on Meek's scheme. I also don't see Kemo moving to the right side. If Lewis isn't the guy we will likely fill in with Irvin or Hayden or a player we pick up.

As for passing downs, I could see Peppers moving inside every now and then but mostly will play right end. He is too valuable maintaining the edge and pursuing the quarterback to let him get caught inside. I also would put Brayton at LT before I put Lewis there.

Archived