• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Spartanburg hotels for training camp?

KintnerBoy

If you can get into the Marriott, that's definitely the place to be. You're a five minute walk away.

I guess being on a budget will limit my choices. Wanting to stay 2 days or I would pay a lot more for a room. Hoping to get one for around 50 bucks a night. Looks like I'll just drive a few miles back and forth which isn't a problem.

Any of you going down there the first couple of days of camp? Can't wait to go. Excited!

Panthers_Lover usually puts out a good list. I remember she tells everyone not to stay at that Days Inn, which has been corroborated. The Marriott is a good choice. I think all of the writers stay there.

Yes, I have a good list ... I'll pull it out and update it.

But NEVER, EVER consider staying at the Days Inn. Yes, it's across from Wofford, but it's like it's in a different world. You really don't want to stay that -- especially if you have family with you.

I'll post my list shortly.

Meat's right, though -- there are a lot of nice places on the west side and they're not a long drive at all. Couple of new ones over there, too. Near restaurants, movies, shopping, etc.

Give me a bit to pull up my list and get it posted.

I don't have my comprehensive list with me ... must be on my portable drive at home. Here's some quick info, though:

For full visitor info, go to www.visitspartanburg.com.

Keep in mind, though, that the Convention & Visitors Bureau pretty much has to list any hotel property, good or bad. These are my opinions, based on their list:

Marriott -- If you have the budget, it's the best downtown/close hotel to camp. You can walk from there -- a bit of a hike, but not too bad. It's also close to the central business district with restaurants like Groucho's (sandwiches), Justin's Steakhouse (upscale, lunch and dinner -- excellent cuisine!), Lime Leaf (Thai), Monsoon Noodle House (Chinese), Miayoko's (Japanese, sushi), Delaney's Pub (Irish pub, good food, live music, etc.). AND, Wild Wing Cafe will be back open by training camp! The Marriott also has a restaurant and a bar. There are a couple of smaller eating establishments within walking distance, too -- a new sandwich shop is opening close by and a Japanese sake/sushi place is across the street. Short driving distance is Mellow Mushroom, Venus Pie (great pizza), Peddler Steakhouse and more.

Asheville Highway/Highway 176 area (off Business I-85) -- about a 5 minute drive to camp. Courtyard Spartanburg (older property, but not too bad), Extended Stay America (not really sure the quality and clientele), Fairfield Inn. All are at Hearon Circle.

Also off Business I-85, a bit further south (west, here) -- Residence Inn and Radisson Hotel & Suites. Both pretty good properties. Residence Inn is right next to the Cracker Barrel.

More to come ... (got to go to a meeting).

West side -- This is near I-26, just east (south) of I-85. It's about 10 minutes to camp.

This area is very commercialized with a number of nice, newer (and brand new) hotel properties. It is near the mall (not the greatest, but has Sears, Dillards, Dick's Sporting Good, Bed Bath and Beyond. There's also a Costco there.) Close by are lots of eating options -- City Range (steak), Chandi's (variety), Hooter's, Olive Garden, Outback, Fatz, Chief Wings & Firewater, others, along with a range of fast-food options.

Comfort Suites (458 Blackstock Road, 864-699-6700) -- brand new (near mall, restaurants, movie theater)

Days Inn (don't judge this one by the North Church Street one!) (200 N. Blackstock Road, 864-574-4286) -- same area as Comfort Suites

Hampton Inn & Suites - Westgate (801 Spartan Blvd., 864-699-2222) -- same area

Holiday Inn Express - Westgate (895 Spartan Blvd., 864-699-7777) -- same area

Still West side, John B. White Sr. Blvd./Reidville Road area (still near malls, shopping, restaurants, including Denny's and Waffle House, etc.):

Sleep Inn (501 S. Blackstock Road, 864-595-4040)

Southern Suites Spartanburg (1993 Reidville Road, 864-587-5995)

Super 8 Motel (488 S. Blackstock, 864-576-2488)

Nearby Boiling Springs area (north of camp, about a 8-10 minute drive):

Best Western Spartanburg Inn (814-7663)

Comfort Inn & Suites (814-2001)

Days Inn - Boiling Springs (814-0560)

If I haven't listed something, ask me and I'll tell you what I know.

Oh, there's a bed-and-breakfast, Inn on Main, in downtown. Nice property. (319. E. Main St., 585-5001)

The Inn on Main is nice and reasonable.

Second to the Marriott, the bar there is a great place to hang out- nice pool tables.

Gerharts is the place to grab a drink. John Fox and staff are seen there every year at some point.

Yes, Inn on Main is nice.

Gerhard's is great. I didn't mention east side eateries, but there are more ... Four Seasons, Ruby Tuesday (also one in Westgate area), Vern's and Heavenly Ham (further out). Then, of course, there's Ike's!

Not to mention the Beacon ....

BTW -- Let me mention that the Panthers Party will be held on Monday, Aug. 3, from 5 to 8 p.m. at camp. While we don't have a specific practice schedule, we're hoping for a 6:40 p.m. practice. There will be Top Cats, Sir Purr, entertainment, best fan contest, games, etc. Stay tuned for details (www.teamspartanburgsc.org).

EDITED: Well, I see that the schedule came out while I was gone, and we DO have a 6:40 p.m. practice that Monday!

Archived