• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

R.i.p.

Jangler

http://www.mercurynews.com/tv/ci_14266711

Pernell Roberts, a versatile actor best remembered for his portrayal of the handsome eldest Cartwright son on the classic television western "Bonanza" and later as the lead character in the medical drama "Trapper John, M.D.," died at his Malibu home Sunday. He was 81.

His death after a two-year battle with cancer was confirmed by his wife, Eleanor Criswell.

Roberts became a star as Adam Cartwright, the heir apparent of the fictional Ponderosa ranch, a role he filled from the show's debut in 1959 until 1965, when he left the cast despite the series' immense popularity. "Bonanza" remained on the air for eight more years without him.

The longest-running TV western after "Gunsmoke" and the first to be broadcast in color, "Bonanza" broke the mold for its genre with its emphasis on character development over gunplay.

J.D. Salinger...

NEW YORK — J.D. Salinger, the legendary author, youth hero and fugitive from fame whose "The Catcher in the Rye" shocked and inspired a world he increasingly shunned, has died. He was 91.

Salinger died of natural causes at his home on Wednesday, the author's son said in a statement from Salinger's literary representative. He had lived for decades in self-imposed isolation in the small, remote house in Cornish, N.H.

Boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Archived