• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

R.i.p.

Jangler

b0014feca2ca.jpg

By DERRIK J. LANG, AP Entertainment Writer Derrik J. Lang, Ap Entertainment Writer – Thu Sep 17, 11:53 am ET

LOS ANGELES – Henry Gibson, the veteran comic character actor best known for his role reciting offbeat poetry on "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In," has died. He was 73.

Gibson's son, James, said Gibson died Monday at his home in Malibu after a brief battle with cancer.

After serving in the Air Force and studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, Gibson — born James Bateman in Germantown, Pa., in 1935 — created his Henry Gibson comic persona, a pun on playwright Henrik Ibsen's name, while working as a theater actor in New York. For three seasons on "Laugh-In," he delivered satirical poems while gripping a giant flower.

After "Laugh-In," Gibson went on to appear in several films, including "The Long Goodbye" and "Nashville," which earned him a Golden Globe nomination. His most memorable roles included playing the menacing neighbor opposite Tom Hanks in "The 'Burbs," the befuddled priest in "Wedding Crashers" and voicing Wilbur the Pig in the animated "Charlotte's Web."

His recent work included playing cantankerous Judge Clarence Brown on ABC's "Boston Legal" for five seasons and providing the voice of sardonic, eye-patched reporter Bob Jenkins on Fox's "King of the Hill." In 2001, Gibson returned to the stage in New York in the Encores! New York City Center production of Rodgers and Hart's "A Connecticut Yankee."

Gibson is survived by three sons and two grandchildren.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090917/ap_on_en_tv/us_obit_henry_gibson

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/14/teddy.pendergrass.obit/index.html

R&B legend Teddy Pendergrass died Wednesday evening, his former publicist said. He was 59.

Pendergrass, known for smash love ballads such as "Turn Off the Lights" and "Love TKO," died after a long illness, according to Lisa Barbaris, who described herself as a close friend and his last publicist.

He died at a hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he was born.

His family did not reveal details about his illness, but said it was related to complications from a 1982 car accident, Barbaris said.

Not that I watch the show, but kind of a sad story no matter if you are rich or poor.

Jennifer Lyon, who placed fourth on "Survivor: Palau" in 2005, died at her home in Oregon Tuesday night, PEOPLE has confirmed. She was 37.

The reality TV star was first diagnosed with stage-three breast cancer a few months after she wrapped "Survivor," and opted for a modified, radical bilateral mastectomy, followed by courses of chemotherapy and tamoxifen, a drug used to prevent recurrence.

"In the summer of 2004, I felt something in my right breast that didn't feel normal," Lyon told PEOPLE in October 2005. "I thought it was probably scar tissue related to my breast implants. So I let it go — for a long time."

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2010/01/23/actress_jean_simmons_dies_at_80

Actress Jean Simmons Dies At 80

January 23rd, 2010 10:15am EST Post a comment Add to My News

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Jean Simmons, the lovely, ethereal film star who played Ophelia to Laurence Olivier's Hamlet, sang with Marlon Brando in "Guys and Dolls" and costarred with Gregory Peck, Paul Newman and Kirk Douglas, has died. She was 80.

Simmons, who won an Emmy Award for her role in the 1980s miniseries "The Thorn Birds," died Friday at her home in Santa Monica, her agent Judy Page told the Los Angeles Times.

Simmons had lung cancer.

Already a stunning beauty at 14, Simmons made her movie debut in the 1944 British production "Give Us the Moon."

Several minor films followed before British director David Lean gave the London-born actress her breakthrough role of Estella, companion to the reclusive Miss Havisham in 1946's "Great Expectations." That was followed by the exotic "Black Narcissus," and then Olivier's Oscar-winning "Hamlet" in 1948, for which Simmons was nominated as best supporting actress.

She would be nominated for another Oscar, for best actress for 1969's "The Happy Ending," before moving largely to television roles in the 1970s, '80s and '90s.

Her other notable films included "Elmer Gantry" (with Burt Lancaster), "Until They Sail" (with Newman), "The Big Country" (Peck), "Spartacus," (Douglas), "This Earth Is Mine" (Rock Hudson), "All the Way Home" (Robert Preston), "Mister Buddwing" (James Garner) and "Rough Night in Jericho" (Dean Martin).

Archived