• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

R.i.p.

Jangler

Larry Gelbart

He co-wrote the 1982 film, Tootsie, a classic comedy, and said of its star, Dustin Hoffman, with whom he reportedly had "creative differences," "Never work with an Oscar winner who is shorter than the statue."

Larry Gelbart had much more success when he wrote the book for Stephen Sondheim's A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum in 1962, which brought Borscht Belt humor to ancient Rome, and it was a great fit. He moved to London then, "to escape religious freedom in America," he joked, but got called back in the '70s to help create M*A*S*H, the classic TV series that ran longer than the war in which it was set.

After all those successes, the barber's son didn't need to work, at least for money. "I need to write to find out what I'm thinking," Larry Gelbart said. "I've been doing it professionally almost 60 years, so if I don't like it I've wasted a lifetime... . I work on several things at once, then I'm never finished."

Larry Gelbart got cancer last year. But in December, when spurious reports winged around the Web that he had died of a massive stroke, he once again wrote his way out of pain with a one-liner

Roc Raida of the X-ecutioners... he won the 95 DMC. Dude was wicked behind the wheels of steel... of lesser known, he was the DJ for Busta Rhymes' live sets.

This death bothers me more than others I've heard about... Roc was a cool dude and a hell of a Dj

Roc Raida of the X-ecutioners... he won the 95 DMC. Dude was wicked behind the wheels of steel... of lesser known, he was the DJ for Busta Rhymes' live sets.

This death bothers me more than others I've heard about... Roc was a cool dude and a hell of a Dj

• 3 weeks later...

Archived