• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

steve mcnair dead in apparent murder suicide

Fiz

tough break by two dummies. I cannot lay blame because I am not perfect but I have never cheated and that seems to be the root of this evil that has been done. Cheating is bullpoo (post vows). I have eyes and hormones too and it ain't that tough (only been married for 5.5 years).

It's the classic chicken or egg if one really wanted to lay blame tho. Is it her fault for knowingly slanging it to an older married man with kids or his fault for not controlling his middle-aged urges and making all the advances that a professional quarterback in the NFL can offer?

They are both dead now so it really doesn't matter.

However you are also not a multi millionaire that consistantly has some of the most attractive ladies imaginable doing everything to get your attention. Who knows what his family life was like also.

I can see how easy it is for athletes to fall into this trap. They spend their whole life playing the sport and being adored by all. Then they retire and all that is gone and they don't know what to do with themsleves. I am sure they long for that attention again,

I heard Chris Mortenson say yesterday that over 70% of NFL athletes get divorced within 3 years of retiring. If that is true, it is pretty astounding. Regardless, it is hard to say how easy it is for you to resist temptation and try so easily to compare it to the temptation Steve (and other athletes) have. Not trying to make excuses or defend his actions, but it is a mcuh different life than you and I live.

RIP Steve and may his children find peace and remember their dad for all the good he has done.

However you are also not a multi millionaire that consistantly has some of the most attractive ladies imaginable doing everything to get your attention. Who knows what his family life was like also.

I can see how easy it is for athletes to fall into this trap. They spend their whole life playing the sport and being adored by all. Then they retire and all that is gone and they don't know what to do with themsleves. I am sure they long for that attention again,

I heard Chris Mortenson say yesterday that over 70% of NFL athletes get divorced within 3 years of retiring. If that is true, it is pretty astounding. Regardless, it is hard to say how easy it is for you to resist temptation and try so easily to compare it to the temptation Steve (and other athletes) have. Not trying to make excuses or defend his actions, but it is a mcuh different life than you and I live.

RIP Steve and may his children find peace and remember their dad for all the good he has done.

I just thought of a really funny sick joke. Too soon?

Heard that too. Depends on your outlook I guess. No excuse for the ones that are fathers, especially. They should have learned that there's more than themselves to think about.

Some people thought the movie "Fatal Attraction" did more for fidelity than any other morality lesson.

If you believe that - and I think it's possible - I wonder if the circumstances surrounding McNair's death could serve as a bit of a cautionary tale for some of the NFL's married fellows who are feeling that "itch" to cheat.

Perhaps a few of these guys, when faced with temptation, will think to themselves "Look what happened to Steve McNair. If it can happen to a big star like him, it could happen to me too."

I'm likely reaching here, but you never know.

I hate to be the one to say this, but....I bet you there were hundreds of players who thought about taking the Rae Carruth way out of their marriages. They married someone in college, became famous and realized how easy it was to get with women much prettier than the ones they married...suddenly the old lady sounds like a nag every time she opens her mouth.

Of course, only Carruth DID it, as far as we know, but I bet you there are lots of them who thought about it. I personally witnessed two players wives going batshit crazy on their husbands.

I hate to be the one to say this, but....I bet you there were hundreds of players who thought about taking the Rae Carruth way out of their marriages. They married someone in college, became famous and realized how easy it was to get with women much prettier than the ones they married...suddenly the old lady sounds like a nag every time she opens her mouth.

Of course, only Carruth DID it, as far as we know, but I bet you there are lots of them who thought about it. I personally witnessed two players wives going batpoo crazy on their husbands.

Husbands only, or husbands and fathers? Carruth didn't just go after his lady.

And just out of curiosity, was Fred Lane one of the people whose wives you saw?

so because they are rich and famous they get a pass????

NO

I know you are trying hard to make this not an issue but if you cheat on your wife you have done something wrong..especially with some waitress half your age when you have kids at home. I don't care how much money you have or how much people adore the sport that is your profession. If anything you should be held more accountable.

I am not trying to sound self-righteous here because this has nothing to do with me personally but I do believe that a very large part of why celebrities are always getting into trouble and acting like children is due to the public making excuses for them and trying to paint them as some kind of victim of their successes.

I just don't agree there.

It seems very silly to hear all the people in the "know" talking to the media about how great a guy he was and to hear all the fans who have never even met the guy talk about what a tragedy it is when the guy and his immature actions have led to two unnecessary deaths including his own and a shattered family.

I am sure if he knew that young trim would cost him his own life he would stay away from the spoils of success but apparently his family was not as important as his own life to him and thus the risk was taken.

Doesn't sound like a great man or a victim to me.

If you believe that - and I think it's possible - I wonder if the circumstances surrounding McNair's death could serve as a bit of a cautionary tale for some of the NFL's married fellows who are feeling that "itch" to cheat.

Perhaps a few of these guys, when faced with temptation, will think to themselves "Look what happened to Steve McNair. If it can happen to a big star like him, it could happen to me too."

I'm likely reaching here, but you never know.

McNair didn't seem to learn much from his own drinking and driving episode. I doubt most of these guys are of the frame of mind that they learn from others' issues, especially since a lot of it is excused by the public and by everyone else for years due to their fame/status as an athlete. McNair's first DUI included. That cop treated him with favoritism and that's why he got off with that charge. You think that he wasn't drunk that night his gf was pulled over? If he wasn't, they would have let him drive the car home since it was registered to him.

Think about what Cris Carter said at/about the rookie symposium. They think they are teflon, nothing or nothing serious will happen to them consequence wise (beyond what Goodell does). Usually they are right.

Heard that too. Depends on your outlook I guess. No excuse for the ones that are fathers, especially. They should have learned that there's more than themselves to think about.

But no one knows what was going on with Steve and his wife. That could have been broken for a long time. Like so many other couples there may have been an agreement between the two of them. Maybe Steve's wife has had a boyfirend for the last 5 years that Steve knew about....we just don't know. For whatever reason, Steve wasn't worried about hiding his relationship much by getting this girl a condo , an Escalade, and posing with her on vacations together. I dunno.....just palying Devil's advocate and it sucks kids are involved.

As far as other players learning from the mistakes Steve apparently made.....I think it will wake many of them up at first but in the end the temptation will lure them back. Men are stupid..... it's what we do and that "stuff" has amazing power over us and our egos.

Husbands only, or husbands and fathers? Carruth didn't just go after his lady.

And just out of curiosity, was Fred Lane one of the people whose wives you saw?

No. Fred was gone when I started. I never even saw Carruth. His trial was going on when I started working there.

Archived