• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Appreciation for David Newton

JawnyBlaze

I just wanted to mention how much better the NFCS blog at ESPN has been since they broke it up with individual writers assigned to teams.  David Newton has been a HUGE upgrade over Pat Y.  I like how he has been getting more in depth with his observations and comments, writing more about specific players and nuances of our game rather than Pat Y's usual basic "Panthers suck because they've had 3 losing seasons in a row" drivel.  The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that Pat is more often than not positive about is Cam.  Newton usually seems more unbiased (but with a positive tone) which is what I like to see.

I just wanted to mention how much better the NFCS blog has been since they broke it up with individual writers assigned to teams.  David Newton has been a HUGE upgrade over Pat Y.  I like how he has been getting more in depth with his observations and comments, writing more about specific players and nuances of our game rather than Pat Y's usual basic "Panthers suck because they've had 3 losing seasons in a row" drivel.  The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that Pat is more often than not positive about is Cam.  Newton usually seems more unbiased (but with a positive tone) which is what I like to see.

Completely agree. He's provided excellent coverage. Reminds me of the days of Steve Reed and DGantt.

But Yas is a genius. He predicted Brandon Beane would be our GM!

If you feel like you need a good cry today, imagine what our team would currently look like if Beane HAD become our GM.  Imagine what our cap situation would be looking like, imagine who we might have taken with our first pick of the draft (Teo?).  I'm running the warm bath and sharpening my razors just thinking about it.

I like what I've read from David Newton so far. Amused at the irony of his last name too :lol:

Regarding Pat: In his Charlotte Observer days, Yasinskas was arguably the second best Panther reporter on the beat (behind Gantt) but I think having the whole NFC South to cover hurt the quality of his work. He seemed to get lazy about Panther related stuff.

The GM search really pointed that out, with his insistence that Beane was a leading candidate (turned out he was never even in consideration) and then after the hire, his telling a chat questioner that Gettleman had never done any college scouting (even a cursory reading of his bio told you that was wrong).

Between that stuff and his seeming animosity toward Steve Smith, maybe getting back on the Bucs beat - where he started - was the best thing for him.

Archived