• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers claim TE from Jets off waivers

He is camp fodder, unless he shows differently in camp. Which won't happen because Barnidge looked good in Summer School according to the Charlotte Observer. So just forget it he will not make the team.

You may very well be right, but playing devil's advocate, he doesn't look to be any lesser than the Cat's #2 and #3. He'd defiantly need to show out in camp, but you never know.

He is camp fodder, unless he shows differently in camp. Which won't happen because Barnidge looked good in Summer School according to the Charlotte Observer. So just forget it he will not make the team.

I think he will be a camp fodder also, but there are always hidden gems. It's just nice to read about new talent or new less talented people coming in, it's just a nice spark every once in a while. Anyway, I just think it funny that the guy is already 29 years old, very old for a rookie.

Part of the job description of most backups, especially a backup TE, is to be apart of the special teams. Rosario was shown some flashes but if it weren't for that TD that won the game in San Diego all anyone would remember of Rosario is how he missed assignments on two ST plays that resulted in blocked punts.

I think sometimes fans forget that the competetion to make the team can't come down to just who is the better TE or LB or CB. STs is just a big a part in winning games and a lot of times players are cut not for their play at their respected position but rather their ST play.

I could see a competition between King and Barnidge for the starting spot but after that it very well could come down to ST play and that is where a guy like Davie could still a roster spot.

Looking around a bit more, he's a decent blocker that happens to catch balls, looks to me to be more than fodder, he could compete for one of the spots behind King. He doesn't have the college stats of Rasario or Barnidge, but he's pretty much the same physically. Arkansas is a run first team (sound familiar) none of their TE's have big stats.

"Meanwhile, tight end Andrew Davie has decided to leave early to enter the NFL Draft. And while his departure will be a loss for the Razorbacks when it comes to blocking and goal-line situations, it shouldn’t affect the team nearly as much as when McFadden and Jones left."

Edit: one more link

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/246192/

He's a blocker for sure...

I found another site that states he is 6-4, but that is still pretty tall.

Link

With such low stats in three seasons, I would think his specialty is blocking though.

The franchise that once drafted and started quarterback Chris Weinke

I like how the dick head mentions this like it has any relevance 8 years afterwards. And what in the flying f*ck does it have to do with us signing Davie?

Part of the job description of most backups, especially a backup TE, is to be apart of the special teams. Rosario was shown some flashes but if it weren't for that TD that won the game in San Diego all anyone would remember of Rosario is how he missed assignments on two ST plays that resulted in blocked punts.

I think sometimes fans forget that the competetion to make the team can't come down to just who is the better TE or LB or CB. STs is just a big a part in winning games and a lot of times players are cut not for their play at their respected position but rather their ST play.

I could see a competition between King and Barnidge for the starting spot but after that it very well could come down to ST play and that is where a guy like Davie could still a roster spot.

i like Barnidge but i dont think he is no were near takeing the starting spot from king

I like how the dick head mentions this like it has any relevance 8 years afterwards. And what in the flying f*ck does it have to do with us signing Davie?

I'm with you, but giving the devil his due, the baseball first, older guy trying to make it in the NFL, while being irrelevant does correlate.

I still think Barnidge will take the number 2 spot. He has everything you want in a TE. He broke the roster in his first year and to be a TE on Jon Fox's team and do that says something. Most players dont see time till year 2.

I still think Barnidge will take the number 2 spot. He has everything you want in a TE. He broke the roster in his first year and to be a TE on Jon Fox's team and do that says something. Most players dont see time till year 2.

I'm with you.

I think we'll see big things from Barnidge this year.

All we did was say he is good enough to give him a shot iin camp to see what he can do. He likely won't make the active roster. If he shows promise we might put him on the practice squad and see if we can develop him. With a failed career in baseball already you know he is hungry and will work hard to do whatever he can whether that is the practice squad or not.

His numbers were not that impressive. Here is the link to his Arkansas pro day numbers since he wasn't invited to the combine.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=3688727

With a 4.8 40 and only 20 reps in the bench press, he doesn't seem all that fast or strong. He was listed at 6'4" and 257. He is no threat to unseat a current player but could be useful as a backup and fourth teamer.

i like Barnidge but i dont think he is no were near takeing the starting spot from king

I agree. It isn't between Barnidge and King but Barnidge and Rosario. With our two end sets we will usually see King and either Rosario or Barnidge. What makes Barnidge unique is that he has the speed of a receiver and the size of a tight end. He is the first tight end we have had in forever who could actually stretch the field.

With us running the ball over 50% of the time, King will be on the field alot. Last year we actually put Barnidge out wide on a few occasions. Only threw him the ball one time (that I remember) though, and it wasn't close.

Archived