• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers claim TE from Jets off waivers

6-6 275.... That's a big SOB for a TE. If he can block and play special teams he may have a better chance than y'all think for the Panthers who use the TE more like an outside guard.

Yeah, I was thinking that while I was typing my response. I must remember who our team is. Although King is excellent at blocking and also at catching, (just not yards after the catch), a man that big might be hard to ignore, (though we don't often go for big men often)...

6-6 275.... That's a big SOB for a TE. If he can block and play special teams he may have a better chance than y'all think for the Panthers who use the TE more like an outside guard.

I found another site that states he is 6-4, but that is still pretty tall.

Link

With such low stats in three seasons, I would think his specialty is blocking though.

All I could find

Overview

The former minor league baseball player figures to be a key part of Arkansas’ offense in 2008 at tight end/H-back. An effective blocker on the edge in the running game, he also has good hands and is adept at running after the catch in the passing game. He enters fall camp listed as the second-team tight end behind sophomore D.J. Williams. He had a solid spring with two catches for 20 yards in the Red-White Spring Game. In the two other major scrimmages, he had five catches for a team-high 113 yards on April 11 and two receptions for 28 yards on April 19. In the first scrimmage, he had a long reception of 63 yards and a 22-yard touchdown catch from Casey Dick.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — The Carolina Panthers are taking another chance with a former minor league baseball player.

The franchise that once drafted and started quarterback Chris Weinke claimed rookie tight end Andrew Davie off waivers from the New York Jets on Thursday. The 26-year-old spent four seasons in the St. Louis Cardinals farm system before switching to football.

The 6-foot-4, 275-pound Davie caught 24 passes for 199 yards and six touchdowns in three season at Arkansas. He went undrafted in April and signed with the Jets.

Davie will provide depth in training camp behind starting tight end Jeff King and backups Dante Rosario and Gary Barnidge.

hello fodder.

Not so fast... he looks to have the tools 6'4" to 6'6' 275lbs 4.95 40, six TD's as a backup. Solid blocker with good hands and good after the catch. It looks like he was stuck behind a better guy, but may be able to compete for a spot.

Archived