• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Would You Rather Have? A Prime Stephen Davis or DWILL.

Guest RT81

If my team also has an elite offensive line, DeAngelo Williams.

If my team does not have an elite offensive line, Stephen Davis.

Williams has more quick burst acceleration that allows him to diagnose the holes a lot better than Davis did and despite how fast it looks like DeAngelo runs, Davis and Williams had about the same speed in the open field. One of the major knocks on Williams coming out was that very fact. His acceleration was incredible and his shifty running style was impossible to defend, but his pure speed was questionable.

We also must remember that Davis' prime didn't happen in Carolina. He was 29 years old when he came here. Right on the cusp of that dreaded 30 year mark for running backs where the legs start to go. Steve Spurrier had under utilized him in Washington after him being the absolute centerpiece of the Redskins for three years with 1,300+ yards per season. Those years were probably the best years of Davis' career and prime. He ran behind a nothing line and grinded out yards better than anybody else in the game during those years.

Davis was a back that thrived on contact, and DeAngelo is a back that thrives on making the first tackler miss and racking up from there. The problem with Williams' style is that it takes time for those holes to open up and it takes talent for those holes to open up. But once they do, nobody is better at reading and diagnosing those than Williams.

Stephen Davis could run up the back of a lineman for 3 or 4 yards on every play, even if the offensive linemen were getting zero push. I think that fact makes him more valuable as a 30-35 carry per game back. With Williams, it's either 10-15 yards or 1 or 2.

everyone please read this and quit trying to put labels on these 2 backs...

DWill isn't just a scat back and Stew doesn't just pound the defense... They are really one of both the same with different running styles.

Hell, I'd take Stewart over Davis TBH... but that's knowing Stew is 10X faster than Davis and that Davis broke down after he was with us. (granted he was playing football long before he got here, but he only gave us one good year)

everyone needs to stop trying to say they're the same.

they're not.

williams is a scat back...even when breaking tackles, he's more slippery than physical. he doesn't initiate contact and he's more apt to try to out manuever defenders vs. taking them head on.

he may have the tools to be a more physical runner, but he prefers to use his skills over his muscle.

stewart is the exact opposite. he may possess the tools to be more elusive, but he prefers to be more physical. he'd much rather dare defenders to bring him down vs. making them miss.

Rep for this tough question

But what I think you didnt really notice was "prime". Not just 2003 davis or 2008 d.will. So in that, I give it do Davis of course

But year vs. year... gotta go with the d.will last year. That was some amazing stuff. It was clear if we ran with him against the Cards... we would have crushed them birds

I'm confused with all this "Davis gets 3 yards every time" and "Davis doesn't go down on 1st contact"... Same case can be made with DWill...

Anyhow, I'd take Deangelo over Davis any day. He can be a weapon on the ground, out of the backfield, or line him up outside. And he wears down a defense just as well if not better than Davis did...

i saw plenty of plays last year when DWill was taken down behind the line on first hit..

Williams hands down, at the same point career wise Deangelo is miles ahead. People forget Davis wasn't even a solid starter until his 4th year, his only claim to fame before 99 was getting his ass kicked by Westbrook.

Through 3 years Deangelo has 1918 more yds 18 more TD's and a grand total of 1 more fumble than Davis had in his first 3 years.. Yep That's right Williams has had 23 career TD's vs 2 fumbles. He's almost halfway to Davis' career TD mark, and that's without being considered a goal line back. He's on his way to becoming a bonafied stud.

I don't think 08 was a fluke for Deangelo, and if he repeats it or even comes close a few more times he'll be in the realm of elite.

i saw plenty of plays last year when DWill was taken down behind the line on first hit..

and I saw plenty of plays that Davis could only dream of..

Just sayin, I'd take DWill hands down..

I don't remember too many where he was taken down due to it being all his fault. But I'll also be the 1st to tell you my memory is horrible, esp at my age. ;)

Stew has more speed than we give him credit for.

Dwill punishes people a lot more than we give him credit for.

They are really one of both the same with different running styles.

everyone needs to stop trying to say they're the same.

they're not.

williams is a scat back...even when breaking tackles, he's more slippery than physical. he doesn't initiate contact and he's more apt to try to out manuever defenders vs. taking them head on.

he may have the tools to be a more physical runner, but he prefers to use his skills over his muscle.

stewart is the exact opposite. he may possess the tools to be more elusive, but he prefers to be more physical. he'd much rather dare defenders to bring him down vs. making them miss.

You just said the same thing I did... lol

They both possess the ability to run with strength/power and speed. DWill obviously more agile and Stew obviously more power. They both have their own styles is what I said which is what you are arguing, for some reason?

I saw this as more of a personal preference question rather than a "who's better" question. Personally I perfer to see a smash mouth runner.

If you are asking who is the better of the two then the reasoning and answers completely change. By the numbers, Williams is clearly the better back if you are comparing the two to the same point in each career. But seeing how Davis' career is over and Williams isn't its hard to compare more than that.

This is a tough question because what if DeAngelo Williams is not in his prime yet. Maybe his break out season last year was just a taste of things to come in the future. Last year he had 1,515 yards. What if he has 1,700 yards or more this season? Last year he racked up 18 touchdowns. What if he racks up 20 touchdowns or more this season? He average 5.5 yards per carry last year, maybe he averages 6.0 yards a carry this year. His longest run last year was a 69 yarder, but what if he has a 75 yarder. The point I am trying to make is, I don't think DeAngelo Williams is in his prime yet. After watching this guy last year I truly believe he can be the best running back in the NFL today.

Archived