• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Would You Rather Have? A Prime Stephen Davis or DWILL.

Guest RT81

lol I don't think anyone on the defense was saying:

"Oh damn it Dwill, did you really have to score so fast?"

I agree. Managing the clock is great, but I doubt any coach is going to fault a player for being able to torch the entire defense and break one for a touchdown.

It's Williams, hands down.

20 touchdowns is 20 touchdowns, and Stevie only had 8 in '03.

Williams has more game to him as well, he has power, but with speed and elusive vision to complement it.

I agree. Managing the clock is great, but I doubt any coach is going to fault a player for being able to torch the entire defense and break one for a touchdown.

I remember in the Tampa MNF game Fox blabbered something in Williams' ear because he broke a run and ran for the TD instead of kneeling or ending the play with a first down. It was getting late in the game.

I don't think so either, but over a period of the game, it makes a difference that they don't have time to rest up between repetitions. This has been discussed and the general consensus was that scoring rapidly and not giving the defense time to rest is not really a good thing in the long run, sure, it's exciting for the fans, but since defense wins championships, well there you go...

That said, I love me some Williams and Stewart.

The problem wasn't the offense scoring so fast so much as the defense being built to bend but not break. That means they are out on the field a long time and are focused on not giving up the big play versus getting a turnover and giving the ball back to the offense.

If our defense was as big play as our offense, this wouldn't be a problem. The problem was that our defense was not built to compliment a big play offense as I hope that Meek's defense is given that Indy under Manning was a big play offense.

Our offense is an attacking offense which is what our defense needs to be as well.

The problem wasn't the offense scoring so fast so much as the defense being built to bend but not break. That means they are out on the field a long time and are focused on not giving up the big play versus getting a turnover and giving the ball back to the offense.

If our defense was as big play as our offense, this wouldn't be a problem. The problem was that our defense was not built to compliment a big play offense as I hope that Meek's defense is given that Indy under Manning was a big play offense.

Our offense is an attacking offense which is what our defense needs to be as well.

And I don't disagree with a word you just wrote. I just know there has been a bit of a problem with the defense lately and went devil's advocate. Doesn't mean I like Williams or Stewart any less, I love those guys. I was just looking at it from a different angle, valid or not. And it appears popular opinion says it was the wrong tone. Not a problem, I love the makeup of the team...

And I don't disagree with a word you just wrote. I just know there has been a bit of a problem with the defense lately and went devil's advocate. Doesn't mean I like Williams or Stewart any less, I love those guys. I was just looking at it from a different angle, valid or not. And it appears popular opinion says it was the wrong tone. Not a problem, I love the makeup of the team...

And I wouldn't disagree with your contention that our defense last year was not a good compliment to our offense and indeed did get worn out at times. But you already know that I absolutely hated our cover 3 last year and as injuries mounted especially to our defensive tackles and both Harris and beason were banged up we were incredibly porous. For what it is worth I am delighted that Trgo is gone and was shocked when he was given another contract. I have no idea how Meeks will fare but with our talent it can't be worse. I hate the bend don't break strategy. And as you note, it is ever worse when it is on the field all day.

davis.

nothing breaks down a defense more effectively than a runner who doesn't go down on first contact, breaks tackles almost at will, and methodically chews up the clock while moving the chains.

it makes the opposing defense exhausted and suspect to big plays, and the opposing offense off the field and out of sync.

sometimes the best and most important stats are the ones that aren't so obvious on paper.

I'm confused with all this "Davis gets 3 yards every time" and "Davis doesn't go down on 1st contact"... Same case can be made with DWill...

Anyhow, I'd take Deangelo over Davis any day. He can be a weapon on the ground, out of the backfield, or line him up outside. And he wears down a defense just as well if not better than Davis did...

man thats a tough one! you have davis who pounded defenses, then foster was the break away runner. now you got d will who is the break away runner and stewart who pounds the defense. im gonna give the edge to dwill....only because in mid season you always had a feeling dwill was gonna break a 30yrd run and score. and w/stewart w/another year under his belt, is only gonna make williams better and more rested.

still love davis tho!!!!!!

Its tough....but I am going with Williams.

Every year he has been here, he has impressed.

They are two totally different backs, but Williams speed and strength is truely amazing.

Moving the chains is great, but scoring the TD'S is what counts most.

Stew has more speed than we give him credit for.

Dwill punishes people a lot more than we give him credit for.

everyone please read this and quit trying to put labels on these 2 backs...

DWill isn't just a scat back and Stew doesn't just pound the defense... They are really one of both the same with different running styles.

Hell, I'd take Stewart over Davis TBH... but that's knowing Stew is 10X faster than Davis and that Davis broke down after he was with us. (granted he was playing football long before he got here, but he only gave us one good year)

A Stewart in his prime might be a lot better than a Davis in his prime.. But this is all speculation like this thread offers..

Archived