• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Theory

Is it any coincidence that the Peppers' stand off ends with a Julius that is ready to talk long term deal in the same 24 hour time frame that the first three of the draft picks (three of the most hyped up players, no less) sign their own contracts far ahead of what is the teams usual schedule for that sort of thing?

I can't connect the dots (I'm no wizard on the business end of football). Thoughts?

I think the only way the drafted signings could have anything to do with the Peppers signing is that the FO has a good idea of what type of money they have to deal with now. They knew all along the type of money that the tag would tie up, but now it is in stone. That is of course unless there has been serious talks about a new deal, which would give them the extra money to go ahead and sign the draftees. But I wouldn't think they would make those signings based on speculation of a possible deal.

Therefore, my theory is that it is unrelated.

Peppers played it well if he was trying to get a fat check....He got 17 mil and maybe lots more. Peppers maybe has 5 years left and he is looking for that last payday that will set him and his grands for life.

I got a buzz so I cant read your ? very well.

I wrote the question half drunk so you'd think the two would cancel out lol.

P55 is right though- there is already a draft pick $$$$ pool in place- the FO and picks just have to agree to certain terms within that.

But with that said, If Pep does a long term deal it give us more room no matter what, and they can just hook him up with a big signing bonus.

we still have a couple more guys who we will sign, we always do...

Peppers played it well if he was trying to get a fat check....He got 17 mil and maybe lots more. Peppers maybe has 5 years left and he is looking for that last payday that will set him and his grands for life.

Peppers was getting money regardless, he was already offered a contract giving about that much money. There was no point in him waiting this long if all it was about happened to be the cash...

It makes sense to be trying to sign draft picks and younger players now so there's actually a contract in place before the labor stuff goes off.

Personally, I think Peppers has realised no one is going to want to sign a 30 year old to a marquee contract to have him change positions.

I'd have to go with the take that the lack of any action from other teams is probably the biggest factor here. Never much fun for someone to find out they aren't as popular as they thought they were.

It's a theory though. Peppers being as private as he is, doubt we'll ever get much more insight.

It makes sense to be trying to sign draft picks and younger players now so there's actually a contract in place before the labor stuff goes off.

Personally, I think Peppers has realised no one is going to want to sign a 30 year old to a marquee contract to have him change positions.

I disagree with you on that point.

I think there are quite a few teams that would sign him to a big contract....near Haynesworth money. The problem is that they are not willing to part with 2 first round picks AND that type of contract.

If Peppers had hit FA, he would have signed a BIG contract elsewhere.

Archived