• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Goodbye David Gettis

Zod

The way he was treated? You mean paid to do his job and given opportunities to compete only to get injured every year and still not even know where to line up properly in preseason this year? Yeah. What horrible treatment.

Can you calm down a little bit bro? Once again I'm not your enemy. Don't take things so personally as I didn't intend to offend you

Campbell is on the list...

Missing:

Gettis

Clausen

Russell

Could it be??? Teh Jimmay claimed? Is this perhaps the reason we don't have a PS QB yet?

Bruce Campbell is on that list, not DJ.  DJ was the one released yesterday as waived/injured. 

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/08/28/its-ted-ginn-jr-vs-david-gettis-for-carolina-panthers-3rd-wide-receiver-spot/

Either way, both receivers will get playing time, but I truly believe that Gettis deserves the no. 3 receiver spot. He has worked very hard to come back from injury, not to mention the fact that Ginn already has a spot secured as a return man, while Gettis can only play receiver.

I really thought he was in the mix. This is a couple of days ago but probably before his hammy tweak.

1. Gettis had 10 catches for 100+ yards in the preseason while AE had 2 for 35.

Gettis while not playing for 2 years has more production then AE.

2. I've already stated I put more weight on what you do against outside competition then what you do against Teammates. This is my opinion and it will never change. It is different thing facing guys not allowed to hit you then guys that are.

3. Cam isn't a good practice player. AI was never a good practice player and never liked practice.

Jake wasn't a starter his 1st game here because Rodney Peete was a better practice player. How did that work out again??

Who had more drops this preseason?

Who had more problems lining up in the right place?

You have a guy that is dropping passes in practice and dropping passes in the preseason.  By your own metric Armanti out performed him having a higher YPC and no drops.

Just because another guy got more snaps and therefore had more catches =/= he had more production.

BTW, just for history's sake, the reason Rodney Peete started over Jake is because he had just been given an extension after starting 14 games the season before.

The staff was eager to play Jake over Peete because he was outperforming him in practice.  That is why Rodney Peete got exactly one half to prove himself before he was yanked for Jake.

As a matter of fact there were some that thought Peete should start even though Jake was outperforming him because Jake had only thrown 86 passes in his career and only had 3 TDs and 5 picks and had not looked like an NFL QB in his limited time (which is why he had to go to Europe) whereas Peete had proven himself as a capable starter the previous season.

At the 10, 000 foot view of this thread it is apparent that there is much more involved in this exchange than simply David Gettis was waived/injured.

You've got the RR detractors that want this to be more evidence of why he sucks.

You've got the AE detractors that want him to have been the cut despite the coaches and GM deciding that he earned his roster spot.

You've got the folks who think that coaches carry personal vendettas and play favorites to the detriment of the roster and want this to be an example of that.

You've got the folks that think GM's will cut a player from a former GM in favor of one they brought in and let their ego prevent an unbiased evaluation.

You've got the classic fanboys that hate the fact their guy got cut loose.

You've got the Gettis detractors that wanted him gone.

Finally, you've got the folks that look at this situation and said he flashed potential his rookie year, was hurt and missed nearly the next two, failed to get noticed or impress to finish last year, failed to impress early in preparation for this year, flashed a few catches late, and then pulls up lame for the final audition. Sorry Gettis, the clock ran out on you here. Good luck in the future.

I'm firmly entenched in the last group.

It is, however, entertaining to watch this get dragged out for so long.

Carry on soldiers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

At the 10, 000 foot view of this thread it is apparent that there is much more involved in this exchange than simply David Gettis was waived/injured.

You've got the RR detractors that want this to be more evidence of why he sucks.

You've got the AE detractors that want him to have been the cut despite the coaches and GM deciding that he earned his roster spot.

You've got the folks who think that coaches carry personal vendettas and play favorites to the detriment of the roster and want this to be an example of that.

You've got the folks that think GM's will cut a player from a former GM in favor of one they brought in and let their ego prevent an unbiased evaluation.

You've got the classic fanboys that hate the fact their guy got cut loose.

You've got the Gettis detractors that wanted him gone.

Finally, you've got the folks that look at this situation and said he flashed potential his rookie year, was hurt and missed nearly the next two, failed to get noticed or impress to finish last year, failed to impress early in preparation for this year, flashed a few catches late, and then pulls up lame for the final audition. Sorry Gettis, the clock ran out on you here. Good luck in the future.

I'm firmly entenched in the last group.

It is, however, entertaining to watch this get dragged out for so long.

Carry on soldiers.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

winning post.

and I'm in that last group as well.

i have been waiting for this thread for a while and you guys did not disappoint.

the truth of it is that Gettis was the low man on the totem pole. He wasn't going to beat out Smitty, Lafell, Hixon or ginn for a roster spot. that left him competing with Armanti for the final job and Armanti outperformed him throughout the preseason (but but but the preseason games!)

He was likely only placed on IR so they team could avoid a possible lawsuit with him claiming he was only cut because he was hurt, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered IRing a player in the last year of his deal.

Archived