• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Goodbye David Gettis

Zod

I'm glad this little story is coming to a close, along with the Pickles'.

I'm tired of hearing about us clinging on to hopefuls who either cannot produce because they're bad players, or more accurately in the case of Gettis, can't stay healthy enough.  I don't wish either guy any ill-will.  I just want their spots to go to someone who can make a difference in the here and now.

Gettis can't do that.  Pickles can't do that.  They were projects that have essentially come to a close.

Time to move on and let Gettlemen do the job he was hired to do.

We're still reeling from that fire sale Richardson ran on us around the lock out and that jacked up 2011 draft.  Time to start looking at the future rather than clinging to hopes and dreams about players we like, but just haven't panned out.

I keep bringing him up because he kept a roster spot and continued to start LAST SEASON despite costing us two games by himself. Teams that have a winning culture would've fleeced themselves of him pretty damn quick, and he wouldn't have had a chance to take a paycut and stick around another year. He was given a roster spot even though he lost us games, including on special teams, which he is supposedly "above average" at, lol... Pretty simple.

regardless of what you think of naka, he shouldn't have been put in that situation at all, you can thank marty hurney for that. what he is really good at is being a backup/special teams player. he excelled when he was a raven at that/ and that is his ceiling. Naka didn't actually lose us games in the grand scheme of things, Marty Hurney did because he didn't equip Rivera with talent and so he was forced to play Naka.

The two situations are entirely different because the reciever position has more depth than the safety position. it was just him and another guy. The reciever position had 5 other people. you can't "fleece" yourself of a player when there is only one other player left and he is a 7th round guy.

pretty simple.

No denying Gettis' talent but if re injured his hamstring it was probably time to move on. He wouldn't be seeing the field for weeks anyway. Eventually you have to show up on the field. I think Gettleman has had enough projects on the team. He's going to pick a WR next year for sure.

do you know why rivera wasn't giving gettis a shot? no leaping. no assuming. you tell me why he was.

now whatever the actual reason for that was....a player was demanding. a player. telling his coach what to do. do you not see a problem with this? one guy is the boss. the other is an employee. one guy is trying to figure out how to win a game. the other one wants the coach to focus on him.

sorry, but even if the narrative i'm hearing is based in actual events and not conjecture, i can't blame gettis for wanting his shot and i can't blame rivera for not caving when some player was "demanding" something from him in a game he's trying to manage and, putting him in his doghouse.

gettis "got in rivera's face".

sorry....that's not going to make me sympathetic to his case. if this was something that other players were doing regularly, i might think it was a rivera problem. since this wasnt something that we saw other players do i think it's a gettis problem and i don't have a problem with him being put in his place.

I agree with this in theory, but just from a pure personnel standpoint Gettis was an asset in my book. Many of you are trying to make it all about Gettis, Armanti or whomever, but let's all take our Panther Blue colored glasses off and see our receiving corps for what it really is---one helping of beast, hope and desperation.  Deep down in your heart, do you really think that the Carolina Panthers have the luxury of casting talent and promise off into the wind, regardless of how fragile that you may think that it is?  People, those who are in the know around the NFL---from managers to coaches, writers and analysts, to fans with varying degrees of knowledge---believe that Cam needs more weapons. Many believe that our WR corps is Smitty...and a collection off bench players that should only be starting as a last resort. Now, I am hoping that all these people are wrong, and that Rivera and G-man have seen something that our eyes haven't.  All this being said, I think that we should have kept Gettis. But, it is what it is, and now I will just wait with anticipation---if not a little trepidation--- and hope that Ginn, Hixon and Edwards can Gettlemagically step up their game to sights unseen throughout this point in their respective careers.

Once again fp has ended this thread. Why are we still talking about this?

because some people can't understand that it takes more than physical talent to make it in the NFL amongst other things like not injuring yourself while stretching before a game when you already have an injury prone stigma.

To be honest, I disagree with this move and I think its mainly a Gettleman call. His loyalty to Hixon overshadowed the skills that Gettis has shown through 3 Preseason games and Training Camp where Hixon was involved in one half of one game and made the roster. Hixon is also know for not being healthy or finishing a season.

I think this is a bad call.

To be honest, I disagree with this move and I think its mainly a Gettleman call. His loyalty to Hixon overshadowed the skills that Gettis has shown through 3 Preseason games and Training Camp where Hixon was involved in one half of one game and made the roster. Hixon is also know for not being healthy or finishing a season.

I think this is a bad call.

could be on DG, but I dont think RR ever liked Gettis either.

Archived