• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Goodbye David Gettis

Zod

I can't even think of anyone talking him up. Smitty says good things about LaFell and Armanti, and even mixes praise with his critiques of Norman. But what was ever said about Gettis.

I can't remember what game it was, and I don't care enough to go through the games and look bsck, but I distinctly remember Smitty coming up to Gettis and talking him up on the sidelines after a possession. I believe it was after he made a couple of catches.

i honestly thought just from a numbers perspective that gettis would make it and battle for the #4 or #5th spot but i never thought they would only keep 5 recievers.

i think weakness in other areas forced this to happen.

weak OL.

injured RB corps (namely stewart) in a year the run was supposed to play a bigger role.

weak TE corps (we have pass catchers that can't block and blockers that can't catch)

weak secondary (although that takes more away from other places on defense).

carrying 6 WR was just a luxury that we couldn't afford. gettis getting hurt at the wrong time while hixon got healthy and produced and ginn stepped it up another level was his undoing.

we don't know how long he was going to be out for, but the FO/coaching staff does and they probably just didn't think they could afford to hold a limited spot for him esp. when there's really not a whole lot of difference between him and the other 3 guys who were fighting for a spot.

i can understand people questioning Rivera, when you give guys like fua and naka numerous chances while making some questionable roster cuts that's what you ask for but i'll be over it and ready for next sunday

Sometimes as a coach you have to do the best with what you got..... Rivera isn't a HC/GM.

If he is given slop....he still has to use it. He still has to give it chances especially at spots we were comically bad in.

Hard for RR for example to just bench Nakamura since the only S he had last year to replace him was publically knocked by our owner and was a very inconstant player.

If you are not in the film room or at practice you don't know what the fug is going on. It sounded as if he played terribly at camp in shorts.

Just because he had a few catches in preseason games doesn't mean he was performing at a high level physically or mentally.

Whatever the reason may be there is indeed a reason, and I feel pretty confident that a coach on the hot seat wasn't just playing favorites over guys who performed worse than he did.

It's pretty obvious in his comments and decisions to me, Red. Nakamura's mistakes such as giving up a blocked punt against Tampa, giving up a TD and then that 60-yard loaf of bread to White in the final minute or so against ATL alone, were enough to get him cut from a winning team. Instead, Rivera wouldn't even officially bench him, going as far as opening up in 3 safety packages so he could still call him a starter, lol.

What has Byron Bell done to keep his job, unchallenged? He is a great guy, and I appreciate his character, but that doesn't mean he should be given a job unchalleneged.

Same thing with Legadu, and thrn they tried to convince us of how Ajirotutu was the second coming of Vincent Jackson... Do you think Ajirotutu was better than Gettis? I don't. And yet, they spent all of last preseason running him with the 1s IIRC, until he stone handed himself into being cut. Now look at this season, and I'm not sure if Gettis even got a rep with Cam (although I think I remember him getting 1 or 2 vs Baltimore).

Pretty sure those are examples of favortism.

No argument for Nakamura's failures. He's still here for now, but that could change. With Bell, who is to say Rivera doesn't want to upgrade there, but Gettleman doesn't want to use the cap space? He works with what he's got.

Legedu was brought in to compete and help the other guys learn the offense. Gettis had already injured his knee in practice in August. Tutu was signed in September. The world couldn't stop turning for Gettis. He can't stay healthy.

A bit surprised he didn't make the final 53. He seemed to be showing enough upside to keep around and develop further.

Personality wise I have always liked what I have heard from him whenever he gets interviewed...seems to have a decent head on his shoulders. He also seems to get open quite a bit. I now he was playing against scrubs during the pre-season, but while he was out there both Derek and Jimmy almost always threw the ball once they looked his way. To me the biggest things that are holding him back are injuries, catching, and not playing ST.

I wish him a speedy recovery and am intrigued to see where he will get his next chance

Sometimes as a coach you have to do the best with what you got..... Rivera isn't a HC/GM.

If he is given slop....he still has to use it. He still has to give it chances especially at spots we were comically bad in.

Hard for RR for example to just bench Nakamura since the only S he had last year to replace him was publically knocked by our owner and was a very inconstant player.

But shouldn't you have the guts to make the decision that best gives your team a chance to win in soite of all the external influences?

Naka may have cost us two games ALONE last season, and yet, technicslly remained a starter.

And I'm having a really hard time getting this sudden movement towards Rivera being a mute victim, completely stripped of his ability to speak or make decisions on his roster. When did we start bringing in San Diego scrubs? Is that all the GMs doing? No. Rivera asked for those players. So he isn't just "given slop," he help makes it himself.

But shouldn't you have the guts to make the decision that best gives your team a chance to win in soite of all the external influences?

Naka may have cost us two games ALONE last season, and yet, technicslly remained a starter.

And I'm having a really hard time getting this sudden movement towards Rivera being a mute victim, completely stripped of his ability to speak or make decisions on his roster. When did we start bringing in San Diego scrubs? Is that all the GMs doing? No. Rivera asked for those players. So he isn't just "given slop," he help makes it himself.

Naka is above average special teamer and is no longer a starter and took a massive paycut. so i don't know why you keep bringing him up when the two players are completely different in ability and their situations.

No argument for Nakamura's failures. He's still here for now, but that could change. With Bell, who is to say Rivera doesn't want to upgrade there, but Gettleman doesn't want to use the cap space? He works with what he's got.

Legedu was brought in to compete and help the other guys learn the offense. Gettis had already injured his knee in practice in August. Tutu was signed in September. The world couldn't stop turning for Gettis. He can't stay healthy.

As far as Bell, just one of many examples and you could be right. But, Rivera DOES indeed have say in roster moves, he just may not have the final say, so I'm not going to clear him of responsibility in what we have to work with.

As for the Gettis/Tutu example, I'm saying look at the opportunities Tutu was given in 2012 when Gettis was already ruled out at least through week 1, versus the ones Gettis was given this preseason, in-game. Tutu was virtually in the same battle Gettis was, and yet, Tutu was given every opportunity to win a top 3 WR spot and Gettis was relegated to running with scrubs.

I don't intend to beat a deadhorse, I'm just saying usually where there is smoke, there is fire... and Rivera has a laundry list of decision making failures both in-game and personnel-wise to make me question his evaluation skills.

Naka is above average special teamer and is no longer a starter and took a massive paycut. so i don't know why you keep bringing him up when the two players are completely different in ability and their situations.

I keep bringing him up because he kept a roster spot and continued to start LAST SEASON despite costing us two games by himself. Teams that have a winning culture would've fleeced themselves of him pretty damn quick, and he wouldn't have had a chance to take a paycut and stick around another year. He was given a roster spot even though he lost us games, including on special teams, which he is supposedly "above average" at, lol... Pretty simple.

Archived