• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Goodbye David Gettis

Zod

i've heard gettis being compared to brandon lloyd temperament/mood wise.

And this is the other thing I've mentioned in the past but wanted to avoid mentioning in this thread at the risk of further incriminating myself as a "Gettis fanboy," lol... and that it is pretty much conjecture, but it goes into the whole favortism thing

I can't remember who said or wrote it, but I remember a player or reporter referring to Gettis as a "different dude" or in other words, aloof, eccentric, or awkward... at least that's how it came off. I don't think that is a quality that Rivera cares for.

I didn't say he did have great hands... in fact, despite always being a big supporter of his, I said his one drawback was he tended to catch with his body and not with his hands.

But that's my point FP, he didn't have to have great hands to beat out what was in front of him. Again, from his perspective, wouldn't you be itching to get out there?

Yeah, and I would do that by working my ass off and doing everything my coaches said without running my lip. No matter how you slice it, Gettis earned nothing with his rookie performance. Like Smitty says "you have to treat every play like you could lose your job." If Gettis was getting into it with Rivera he deserved to get cut for being an idiot.

Gettis has no ST ability, he's has sub par hands. His route running is sub par...ect... There's question's about his work ethic and how much he loved football. His biggest trait was his speed, Ginn Jr brings the speed factor as well as being able to play ST.

Edwards is a typical slot WR, he's gotten really crisp with route running and has shown good body control and catch ability in drills, camp, practice and Fan fest. 

Hixon is the vet depth player who is football savvy and learns playbooks easily and can help out Lafell and the other younger receivers. 

For those that think the not loving football doesn't carry a lot of weight with Rivera, it does. Rivera is a football guy who loves the game and that's a big reason why he respects Edwards so damn much and it's a big reason why Edwards has remained with the team long enough to show the improvement he has shown this off season. 

And this is the other thing I've mentioned in the past but wanted to avoid mentioning in this thread at the risk of further incriminating myself as a "Gettis fanboy," lol... and that it is pretty much conjecture, but it goes into the whole favortism thing

I can't remember who said or wrote it, but I remember a player or reporter referring to Gettis as a "different dude" or in other words, aloof, eccentric, or awkward... at least that's how it came off. I don't think that is a quality that Rivera cares for.

nor should it be. especially when the guy can't learn the playbook and his one opportunity to run with the 1s he doesn't know where to line up. Then he was disrespectful to the head coach last year. what do you think is going to happen? thats why i wasn't surprised but dissapointed because gettis has talent. But i think he is a headcase who thought something was owed to him. and there are incidents to back up those claims.

i have a feeling gettis isn't liked by anybody in that panthers locker room.

nor should it be. especially when the guy can't learn the playbook and his one opportunity to run with the 1s he doesn't know where to line up. Then he was disrespectful to the head coach last year. what do you think is going to happen? thats why i wasn't surprised but dissapointed because gettis has talent. But i think he is a headcase who thought something was owed to him. and there are incidents to back up those claims.

i have a feeling gettis isn't liked by anybody in that panthers locker room.

I can't even think of anyone talking him up. Smitty says good things about LaFell and Armanti, and even mixes praise with his critiques of Norman. But what was ever said about Gettis.

I could be way off, but to me it doesn't take much of a leap to assume Gettis, fresh off the PUP list, was demanding to be given a chance to play and Rivera chose to either leave him inactive or let him run a meaningless 1 or 2 plays a game after we are getting blown out.

Considering the guys performance behind Smitty and what he did his rookie year, if I was Gettis, that would be enough to piss me off.

do you know why rivera wasn't giving gettis a shot? no leaping. no assuming. you tell me why he was.

now whatever the actual reason for that was....a player was demanding. a player. telling his coach what to do. do you not see a problem with this? one guy is the boss. the other is an employee. one guy is trying to figure out how to win a game. the other one wants the coach to focus on him.

sorry, but even if the narrative i'm hearing is based in actual events and not conjecture, i can't blame gettis for wanting his shot and i can't blame rivera for not caving when some player was "demanding" something from him in a game he's trying to manage and, putting him in his doghouse.

gettis "got in rivera's face".

sorry....that's not going to make me sympathetic to his case. if this was something that other players were doing regularly, i might think it was a rivera problem. since this wasnt something that we saw other players do i think it's a gettis problem and i don't have a problem with him being put in his place.

I can't say I've seen or even heard from any legitimate real sources of Rivera's alleged favortism that is being talked about here. As for bringing in players like Naanee or Nakamura, what about Hurney? He was the GM here.

I'd hardly call Lafell's sophomore year less than stellar. While sharing catches with Steve, Legedu, Greg, and Shockey, he still managed to get 36 catches for 613 yards and 3 touchdowns with a 17 yard average and 91 yard long.

It's pretty obvious in his comments and decisions to me, Red. Nakamura's mistakes such as giving up a blocked punt against Tampa, giving up a TD and then that 60-yard loaf of bread to White in the final minute or so against ATL alone, were enough to get him cut from a winning team. Instead, Rivera wouldn't even officially bench him, going as far as opening up in 3 safety packages so he could still call him a starter, lol.

What has Byron Bell done to keep his job, unchallenged? He is a great guy, and I appreciate his character, but that doesn't mean he should be given a job unchalleneged.

Same thing with Legadu, and then they tried to convince us of how Ajirotutu was the second coming of Vincent Jackson... Do you think Ajirotutu was better than Gettis? I don't. And yet, they spent all of last preseason running him with the 1s IIRC, until he stone handed himself into being cut. Now look at this season, and I'm not sure if Gettis even got a rep with Cam (although I think I remember him getting 1 or 2 vs Baltimore).

Pretty sure those are examples of favortism.

Edit: you can add Pilares on kickoffs and Fua in general on this list as well.

Archived