• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Goodbye David Gettis

Zod

We as fans get too emotionally attached to players. Coaches can't be this way. Remember John Fox and his veterans? As for the excuses, I've been seeing a lot less of them this year. Most fans are in put up or shut up mode.

That's my point Red. I feel Gettis was a victim of Rivera and his 'veterans.' We mentioned some earlier in the thread - Legadu, Nakamura, etc. For whatever reason, he also favored LaFell despite a less than stellar sophomore year and gave Gettis little to no chance to prove himself on the field when healthy again.

I have repeatedly cited what Phil Simms said during the broadcast last year about how explosive Gettis was in practice and how he would be "a big part of our offense for years to come." Yet, LaFell continued to play subpar football for a #2, Armanti keeps a spot, and now we bring in Hixon, who only stayed on the sidelines as long as he did because he knew the coaches weren't going to give it to anyone else - because it was handed to him.

This crap is what has kept us where we've been for the last 4 years or so... not cutting a 3rd year, 6th round WR, but giving spots to players who haven't earned based purely on favortism of being a "pro's pro."

CRA, I'm sure you've played sports throughout your life under different coaches. You're telling me you never saw a player work hard, do everything he could to contribute to his team, and yet, he just never gained any favor with the coach?

By your statement, you're assuming Rivera is NEVER wrong in personnel decisions or on-field decision making. I've seen enough of Rivera to side with Gettis on that spat.

what was the spat about? what was the context? was this a on-going problem? was this rivera just being bitchy or had gettis crossed a line that he shouldn't with his coach?

lot's of people seem to be talking about that one incident as if they knew everything about it and definitely enough to know that rivera was in the wrong just because they don't like him.

i'm not fan of rivera, but this thing with gettis...meh. i just think it's sad that with gettis' performance his rookie year he couldn't get healthy enough or get his poo together enough that he couldn't beat out edwards who actually impressed the people that mattered, guys like ricky proehl.

btw, not a big edwards fan either.

Gettleman makes the roster. Gettle. Man.

Since when did roster decisions become solely the GMs job? Where is this coming from? So coaches no longer tell GMs how they feel about players or what they need to run their system, their preferences, etc.?

So was Gettleman here last year when Gettis was healthy and Rivera left him to sit on the bench while LaFell and Louis Murphy spent most of the season dropping passes?

CRA, I'm sure you've played sports throughout your life under different coaches. You're telling me you never saw a player work hard, do everything he could to contribute to his team, and yet, he just never gained any favor with the coach?

By your statement, you're assuming Rivera is NEVER wrong in personnel decisions or on-field decision making. I've seen enough of Rivera to side with Gettis on that spat.

Usually a reason...

now, that reason could be proven over time to be false. But generally something occurs to give off that initial thought.

We don't know much about Gettis...

We do know Rivera is a players coach. Players like him.....even if fans don't

That's my point Red. I feel Gettis was a victim of Rivera and his 'veterans.' We mentioned some earlier in the thread - Legadu, Nakamura, etc. For whatever reason, he also favored LaFell despite a less than stellar sophomore year and gave Gettis little to no chance to prove himself on the field when healthy again.

I have repeatedly cited what Phil Simms said during the broadcast last year about how explosive Gettis was in practice and how he would be "a big part of our offense for years to come." Yet, LaFell continued to play subpar football for a #2, Armanti keeps a spot, and now we bring in Hixon, who only stayed on the sidelines as long as he did because he knew the coaches weren't going to give it to anyone else - because it was handed to him.

This crap is what has kept us where we've been for the last 4 years or so... not cutting a 3rd year, 6th round WR, but giving spots to players who haven't earned based purely on favortism of being a "pro's pro."

Broadcasters always talk players up or down. It's meaningless, just talk to fill airtime.

Since when did roster decisions become solely the GMs job? Where is this coming from? So coaches no longer tell GMs how they feel about players or what they need to run their system, their preferences, etc.?

So was Gettleman here last year when Gettis was healthy and Rivera left him to sit on the bench while LaFell and Louis Murphy spent most of the season dropping passes?

Where did this reputation of Gettis having great hands come from? We've all known he was a speedster with some talent, but you can't tell me he was any better than LaFell or Murphy at catching the ball.

what was the spat about? what was the context? was this a on-going problem? was this rivera just being bitchy or had gettis crossed a line that he shouldn't with his coach?

lot's of people seem to be talking about that one incident as if they knew everything about it and definitely enough to know that rivera was in the wrong just because they don't like him.

i'm not fan of rivera, but this thing with gettis...meh. i just think it's sad that with gettis' performance his rookie year he couldn't get healthy enough or get his poo together enough that he couldn't beat out edwards who actually impressed the people that mattered, guys like ricky proehl.

btw, not a big edwards fan either.

I could be way off, but to me it doesn't take much of a leap to assume Gettis, fresh off the PUP list, was demanding to be given a chance to play and Rivera chose to either leave him inactive or let him run a meaningless 1 or 2 plays a game after we are getting blown out.

Considering the guys performance behind Smitty and what he did his rookie year, if I was Gettis, that would be enough to piss me off.

My understanding of the preseason is if you make plays CONSISTENTLY you make the roster........gettis did that imo but there must be something other then that idk just seems fishy and we as fans deserve a explanation imo i'm perfectly fine with cutting a guy for a reason but it's just not clear what exactly he got cut for

Where did this reputation of Gettis having great hands come from? We've all known he was a speedster with some talent, but you can't tell me he was any better than LaFell or Murphy at catching the ball.

I didn't say he did have great hands... in fact, despite always being a big supporter of his, I said his one drawback was he tended to catch with his body and not with his hands.

But that's my point FP, he didn't have to have great hands to beat out what was in front of him. Again, from his perspective, wouldn't you be itching to get out there?

I can't say I've seen or even heard from any legitimate real sources of Rivera's alleged favortism that is being talked about here. As for bringing in players like Naanee or Nakamura, what about Hurney? He was the GM here.

I'd hardly call Lafell's sophomore year less than stellar. While sharing catches with Steve, Legedu, Greg and Shockey, he still managed to get 36 catches for 613 yards and 3 touchdowns with a 17 yard average and 91 yard long.

Archived