• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers QB Corps ranked 6th in the NFL ???

E CaT PanTHer

ahead of the Eagles, Patriots, and Colts ... ?? They're saying that Josh McCown can come in and still lead us to the playoffs if Delhomme gets hurt.

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/sports-qbrankings/1/

6. Panthers: Jake Delhomme, Josh McCown, Matt Moore, Hunter Cantwell

Delhomme is set as Carolina's franchise quarterback and one of the better clutch arms in the business, plus with two division titles and a Super Bowl trip on his resume. If Jake goes down, their backup should keep them headed toward the playoffs. McCown has been a part-time starter in the league, but mostly on bad teams like Arizona and Oakland. Moore was overmatched in three emergency starts as a rookie in '07, but is young enough for the Panthers to groom for the future. -- Adrian Hasenmayer (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

I don't think it's far fetched at all to think that McCown could lead this team if something happened to Delhomme. The guy has experience, he's athletic, and this is the first time since he was in high school that he's had the same OC for two years in a row, which could be a big big deal for his progress. Plus, he has never had this good of a running game to help him out.

how was Moore overmatched in 3 emergency starts? He went 2-1 as a starter and if wasn't for some questionable calls against Dallas would have gone 3-0 (against all division winners)............that single sentence proves the guy didn't event do his research or watch the guys.

I think that ranking stems from the fact that we don't rely as heavily on the quarterback position as most teams, due to our running game. I wouldn't consider our corps as No. 6 in the league per se, but they're right that there is a chance McCown could lead us to the playoffs should Delhomme go down.

By the way, does anyone think Cantwell might replace Moore if he has a good camp?

I think that ranking stems from the fact that we don't rely as heavily on the quarterback position as most teams, due to our running game. I wouldn't consider our corps as No. 6 in the league per se, but they're right that there is a chance McCown could lead us to the playoffs should Delhomme go down.

By the way, does anyone think Cantwell might replace Moore if he has a good camp?

I dont think its possible at all unless he completely blows away the coaching staff and Moore gets seriously injured. moore has shown in the reg season he can win games and lead the team. Hard 2 pass that up unless we know Cantwell is the next sure thing.

ahead of the Eagles, Patriots, and Colts ... ?? They're saying that Josh McCown can come in and still lead us to the playoffs if Delhomme gets hurt.

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/sports-qbrankings/1/

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9735822/Positional-Power-Rankings:-QB-packages

Did they edit the rankings since this was posted? The one I am viewing has us in 9th. In fact, it has the Pats, Colts, and Eagles rated right ahead of us.

Edit: This is a duplicate thread.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/14535-ranking-qb-packages.html

I dont think its possible at all unless he completely blows away the coaching staff and Moore gets seriously injured. moore has shown in the reg season he can win games and lead the team. Hard 2 pass that up unless we know Cantwell is the next sure thing.

Don't get me wrong, I normally wouldn't even consider it. I'm actually a big Moore fan and I think he has what it takes to be a starter or, at the very least, a damned good back-up.

That being said, here's where I'm coming from: McCown is unquestionably the team's number two right now. Aside from experience, I see McCown and Moore as similar quarterbacks.

Cantwell, on the other hand, is a different quarterback, for better or worse. Once projected to be drafted in the first round, he has good size and more of an arm than probably any of our three quarterbacks.

Of course, his accuracy and decision-making could be improved upon.

The 2007 season was an exception, but normally most teams don't need their third quarterback to start. If that's the case, would the team rather take a chance on someone like Cantwell rather than Moore, who may never start for the Carolina Panthers?

Don't get me wrong, I still think Moore stays and I think he is a good quarterback. I just wonder if the Panthers would like to see what Cantwell can offer, as well.

Based on my observations from some of the OTAs (which I saw in person) Cantwell will probably be on the practice squad. He has a very slow delivery and his arm strength is not as strong as Moore's. He fell down a few times during the QB drills due to lack of footwork probably stemming from always being in the shotgun at Louisville. I can't say I saw much of him in college but from the few days I watched him he has a long way to go to make a team in this league.

Archived