• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the Compact Disc dead?

Zcustom

I just bought "Kids Bop 24" because my daughter loves that sh*t and since I love her I don't mind buying it for her and playing it as loud as she wants as we roll gangsta style down the road with all the windows down.

That is the first CD I have bought in several years though. In fact I recently moved and took about 250 CD's and started going through them and reminiscing then about 15 minutes into that I realized I would never listen to them and threw them all into a dumpster never to own a CD again.

I just bought "Kids Bop 24" because my daughter loves that sh*t and since I love her I don't mind buying it for her and playing it as loud as she wants as we roll gangsta style down the road with all the windows down.

That is the first CD I have bought in several years though. In fact I recently moved and took about 250 CD's and started going through them and reminiscing then about 15 minutes into that I realized I would never listen to them and threw them all into a dumpster never to own a CD again.

Aw, dude... I would have come and got them all from you... provided you're within a couple hours driving distance...

Too late on this too.  They'll last a few more years in the Walmart 4.99 bin but stores like BestBuy have been making plans to phase them out and free up floor space for years :(.

I'm still holding out hope that it doesn't happen. With music it's different because you really lose no quality with getting it digital and in my opinion digital is a lot superior when it comes to music. But when it comes to movies I doubt very seriously that digital will ever be as good as bluray. 

1. If you don't have a really good internet connection you can't stream in HD

2. Those streaming sites could just go away at any time and then you'd be fuged out of your entire collection

3. It's just as easy to just pop in a DVD or bluray

Things like Netflix instant and ultra violet are nice but they're really no replacement for actual physical media. 

Well this has been a kick in the nuts.

still not going to tell my bandmate he was right, fuger

You should buy a bunch of cheap thumb-drives instead and put your music on them and sell those at shows, etc.  You don't need a ton of space for an album.

we can get download cards, they have a code on them you put into itunes or cdbaby and download the album.

I'm still going to have some CD's pressed for live shows, people do still buy them at shows, plus I want one for my own personal discography.

at this point my main concern for my own music is recording quality, It still sucks to see CD's go away though, at least now I know that statement makes me old

I still buy CDs.  I still prefer to have a hard copy of an album even when I rip it to iTunes or to my MP3 player.  I don't think they're completely dead, but they are in many ways dying.  The convenience of MP3s and MP3 players are just hard to ignore these days.  Especially when many can plug right into your CD player in the car.

DVD's are dead with arrival of Blu-ray, which will probably be the last physical format for videos.

DVDs have a little more life in them than people think. The jump from DVD to Blu Ray wasn't as dramatic as VHS to DVD, so adopting the new format doesn't really appeal to many people.

I find the typical didigtal formats (e.g. mp3) and devices to be less convenient to use and a lower quality sound than popping in a CD, so I don't own an mp3 player and still listen exclusively to CDs or CDs riped in a lossless format (huge files). To answer the question though yes, digital media is taking over for a multitude of reasons and CDs will likely be marginalized entirely in the near future.

How is a digital format less convenient? That's probably the main reason people make the switch. I have ~800 albums worth of music on an ipod that I take to work. It fits right there in my pocket. I'm not taking 800 CDs around with me.

You can rip music to lossless files and no sound quality is lost. Even if you rip at a 256kbps bitrate, the difference is almost nonexistent, even on high end systems.

Archived