• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Aspect of an Uncapped Year

jramsey4

Very good article. I think it is funny that the players union says "If there is an uncapped year then they will never agree to another salary cap" I think this is a way to get the owners to agree on another cap. The players will screw themselves into the ground because, and someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I read where not only is there no cap but there is no bottom either.

In the long run the players better realize that they are sitting on a golden goose. You cook the goose and you might not find another one.

I do believe it is time for a rookie salary cap as well. One poster put on the PFT that no rookie no matter what his credentials are should make more than a vet. I think there should be 4 or 5 year deal with a option to renegotiate after two years.

As of the start of free agency, there were only 8 teams that had less than $10 million in cap space and 15 with more than $20 million. The bottom line is that teams are not spending what they are currently allowed. There might be an owner that decides to buy a lombardi (Danny or Jerry) but it likely will be the exception, not the rule. Players that think that an un-capped year will make for oodles of available money are in for a rude awakening. To the OP, with no cap, teams will cut to create a roster spot. Dumping salary won't matter unless a cap return is expected and the union insists that it won't come back.

Yeah, I think we're going to find out who the truly greedy players are, can anyone say TO? We'll also see who the truly desperate teams are as well...

We already know who those teams are....and two of the biggest are in the NFC East.....cough...Dallas....cough....Washington.

The lack of a spending floor is what will screw the players. Teams like Tampa are typically tens of millions under the cap and that is only because they have to spend that much. if they could spend less they probably would.

And there will be a salary cap in 2011 if there isn't one in 2010 so teams would have to structure any contract to fit under that cap. Sure they could give unlimited money in 2010 but how many teams really want to give all the money to a player up front? Seems most folks prefer to do just the opposite. Exactly how many folks would this affect? Seems the negatives far outweigh the positives for the players. I can see the owners not wanting a cap but mostly from a cost savings point of view not the fear that teams would try and buy a championship.

The lack of a spending floor is what will screw the players. Teams like Tampa are typically tens of millions under the cap and that is only because they have to spend that much. if they could spend less they probably would.

And there will be a salary cap in 2011 if there isn't one in 2010 so teams would have to structure any contract to fit under that cap. Sure they could give unlimited money in 2010 but how many teams really want to give all the money to a player up front? Seems most folks prefer to do just the opposite. Exactly how many folks would this affect? Seems the negatives far outweigh the positives for the players. I can see the owners not wanting a cap but mostly from a cost savings point of view not the fear that teams would try and buy a championship.

This may have changed since Gene Upshaw died but the NFLPA representative said if 2010 is UNCAPPED they will not allow a cap anymore. So I wouldn't bank on 2011 being capped.

I personally believe that they are smart enough not to screw with a good thing but I have been wrong before.

Go Panthers

This may have changed since Gene Upshaw died but the NFLPA representative said if 2010 is UNCAPPED they will not allow a cap anymore. So I wouldn't bank on 2011 being capped.

I personally believe that they are smart enough not to screw with a good thing but I have been wrong before.

Go Panthers

That was Upshaw who was known for taking public stances and being argumentative. The new rep is a lot more savvy and won't be making those kind of statements. Truth is that the cap will help the players more than hurt them and players are finding that out. The bigger issue will be how much the owners want to take back since they feel they are paying too much now. The players would likely be willing to keep things as they are and aren't looking for more. The owners are the ones pushing the envelope not the players.

The cap floor issue is a bigger concern than the ceiling and the biggest issue is the overall percentage which the players receive from all revenues.

Archived