• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Aspect of an Uncapped Year

jramsey4

I just thought of something. When most people think of how a uncapped year could help a team they only think it allows them to sign more talented and expensive players, but there is another side. It could potential allow teams that have players that they consider busts, over-payed, or just unneeded to unload them.

Normally a high salary guy also has a big signing bonus. When a team cuts them whatever the amount of the bonus is remaining is counted against the cap immediately (even though the money is technically payed all up front). Do u see where I'm going with this? The money would be counted in an uncapped year. So this leads me to the conclusion there could be some very talented (but maybe unsuccessful in there NFL careers) and young players available. That could potential be a young project QB that we could pick up and not have to use a draft pick.

So do you guys see anyone out there that you might like to get that could realistically be let go in this situation?

This is something I've been wondering, exactly how would the uncapped year work? On the surface I would think every team would simply pay off every contract clear the books and start from jump street, but I don't believe that's the way it would work.

What are the restrictions, if a cap is re-instated does the total current payroll go against the new cap? I'm to lazy to research it, how did that work when the cap was first established? I'm pretty sure something like that happened, it's what burst the SF balloon right?

This is something I've been wondering, exactly how would the uncapped year work? On the surface I would think every team would simply pay off every contract clear the books and start from jump street, but I don't believe that's the way it would work.

What are the restrictions, if a cap is re-instated does the total current payroll go against the new cap? I'm to lazy to research it, how did that work when the cap was first established? I'm pretty sure something like that happened, it's what burst the SF balloon right?

I brought up the idea last week about Peppers signing a new long term contract and having the majority of the money to be paid next year. I wonder if they can do that?

I could certainly see that scenario, why wouldn't you. You kwow there's gonna be another salary cap, it'd just be stupid otherwise...

I brought up the idea last week about Peppers signing a new long term contract and having the majority of the money to be paid next year. I wonder if they can do that?

Yeah I hope someone who knows will chime in..... It could actually work somewhat in the Panthers favor if the can clear the books. The core is in place, but they're currently on of the most cap strapped teams, and capital isn't a problem.

I could certainly see that scenario, why wouldn't you. You kwow there's gonna be another salary cap, it'd just be stupid otherwise...

Yeah exactly clear the books and start fresh, talk about leveling the playing field. I think at least in the short term the Panthers would come out ahead, because they have a young base they could potentially lock up.

Yeah exactly clear the books and start fresh, talk about leveling the playing field. I think at least in the short term the Panthers would come out ahead, because they have a young base they could potentially lock up.

Yeah, the Panthers would definitely benefit from that scenario...

The problem arises when he signs said deal and they get a deal done so no uncapped year occurs and we become cap strapped just because of Peppers's deal

I can easily see a scenario where the owners agree to a new CBA, but keep 2010 as an uncapped year. A lot of owners would like to do this.

You will see a lot of players dumped because all of the prorated bonus's that get accelerated into that one year (2010) won't really hurt a team.

Plus a lot of potential Free Agents won't be an FA until 2011, if the rules stay the same. In the current CBA, with an uncapped 2010, about 250 players who would normally be eligible for FA because of their years in the league will not because the CBA under those circumstances will add a year to be eligible for FA.

Plus the final four teams in the playoffs cannot sign free agents who's contracts have simply expired. They could if they were cut. For example: if the Panthers had not franchised Peppers and his contract expired, he would be a free agent. BUT if this would have happened in 2010 under the Current CBA, then Arizona, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Baltimore would not be eligible to sign him.

You wont see this happen.

The PU and Goodell understand that a CBA has to be in place. No one will want to see a hold out, and thats more of a possibility than an uncapped year.

A new deal will include some type of Rookie salary and money getting to the Vets.

Its already in the works, so i EXPECT something to happen- they have 10 months!

Archived