• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I know I know PRESEASON.... But should we be concerned about Cam's accuracy?

CardiacCats

i was listening to the game on the radio, and Eric Davis and Mick disagrees with your assessment. they said he made throws where the ball was dropped, or knocked out the hands of the WR by the defender. if not, he has faced pressure all night because of no OL help. has he missed passes, sure but again what QB doesnt. i also heard Eric say that WR were not getting open and the route timing was off.

Lafell all day, but "he doesnt get enough targets".

i love cam, but that doesnt mean im not allowed to be concerned.

but why?we have seen him hit guys all over the field, and even in pre season guys have not been helping him out. i have seen NFL QBs make some bad throws, but their WR/TE or whoever bailed them out with nice catches. go look at RG3 pass to Garcon in the saints game last year. he threw the ball behind him, and high and Garcon made a helleva catch and scored. we just do not have the talent to help mask our QB bad throws like every one else

To an extent. There's nothing wrong with missing some throws, especially with the lack of run game and Oline.

However it's the kind of throws he's missing. The ones where there is minimal pressure and a open reiecever at a makeable distance at (usaually) first down plus territory . These throws he shouldn't be missing as often as he does.

More then one competent analysis has noticed this. It's fixable, it's preseason, and Newton is a hard worker so I'm not overly worried. But clearly it's something that he's not perfected ( at least as much as one reasonably can). These easy misses can add up big time during a game, so hopefully it's diminished during the regular season.

but why?we have seen him hit guys all over the field, and even in pre season guys have not been helping him out. i have seen NFL QBs make some bad throws, but their WR/TE or whoever bailed them out with nice catches. go look at RG3 pass to Garcon in the saints game last year. he threw the ball behind him, and high and Garcon made a helleva catch and scored. we just do not have the talent to help mask our QB bad throws like every one else

deep balls he is among the best in the league. those medium and short passes are off sometimes. like i said earlier its not a major concern of this team. i think cam is a strength and if this offense succeeds it will be through him. i just think that its worth acknowledging. i dont like how people are just trying to shut down the point of this topic. this forum in general is bad about encouraging certain conversations. so many posters get shot down for discussing something that is relevant.

Yup Yup!

The problem is: I see all type of young QB's (Cincinatti, Wash, Seattle, etc.) QB's get bailed out by great catches from bad throws all the time. However,  you rarely see that happen with Carolina. 

Geesh, even average receivers on other teams, come back for the ball or make great catches, bailing out their QB's. 

When is Cam ever going to get that. It's almost like, if he doesn't throw it into the receivers hands (with out moving them), they'll drop the pass or not get to it. Maybe that's why some Huddlers, always want him to be perfect on every throw (hands in the air)?

SMH

We have also seen him throw high and behind and make poor decisions, shouty footwork etc. 

Yes there is reason for concern. 

We need him to improve plain and simple. 

Cam Newton was one of the best in the NFL in completion% of passes over 20 yards at 43% (I think he was second).

And he threw a lot of passes over 20 yards.

Missing guys 20 yards down field is not something to worry about.  Some of the shorter throws like the one he missed to Olsen was bad, but those things happen.

If we scrutinize every throw we are going to drive ourselves insane.

Archived