• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why all the Fan Hate for Peppers????

carolinaAl

I don't expect players to be loyal to their team when $$ calls. It's nice when they are, but it's unrealistic to expect. He has every right to do what he feels best for him financially. For me the disappointment lies in the public comments of his and his agent's. He didn't have to make his feelings public to try to get what he wanted.

I don't expect players to be loyal to their team when $$ calls. It's nice when they are, but it's unrealistic to expect. He has every right to do what he feels best for him financially. For me the disappointment lies in the public comments of his and his agent's. He didn't have to make his feelings public to try to get what he wanted.

Maybe the thinking is that if they make his feelings known publicly, the fans could put more pressure on the front office to trade him or let him walk. I'm not saying that method is effective at all, but why else would they do it? Every year a few impact players in the nfl announce publicly they don't want to play for their team anymore. Boldin also did that this year. I'm sure that they have already privately told the FO, but feel added discontent from the fans may help them out. IDK, just throwing it out there. Also, I'm pretty sure the FO knew early last season that they would have to use the tag on Pep once he turned down a contract to make him the highest payed DL in the league.

And this is really the issue. I think most folks realize it is a business and that players are not going to be loyal like they used to be. Frankly most teams aren't loyal to the players either. But in his effort to get the best deal and widen his list of potential suitors he didn't need to throw the organization under the bus. If he had kept his unhappiness private he could have made it clear to other teams he wanted to leave without broadcasting it on TV and radio.

It also wouldn't have made him look like he is coming back with his tail between his legs if he hadn't been so adamant in his comments. I don't know why he felt public comments were necessary to his strategy but then again I can't see where he had much of a strategy throughout.

carolina never wanted to trade him...and they want to give him a long term deal.

why do people not seem to understand this?

If the Panthers were free to trade Peppers they would have been foolish to not even listen to or take offers from other teams.

I will post a reason for some of the "hate". One of the things that bugs me about the whole process was the "I dont want to hurt the franchise" comments. When in some ways that is exacetely what Pep did. Just like the article another posted on the board regarding that Gross would have gotten the tag instead - as a result of the Pep issue the Panthers might have been able to sign some key backups and even add some free agents. Instead the team couldn's so that has hurt the depth on the team, which can be critical if the O-line has injuries. So Pep made it impossible for the team to trade him, and now he might want a long term deal????? When if that was in place than the cap issue this offseason is not a problem.

If you stop and think about this situation, Peppers really did not hurt the franchise from his actions.

If he had signed the tender earlier, he would still count $17M against the cap.

The only way things would have ended up different is if the Panthers then traded him. Based on how much the Panthers wanted to keep him, I doubt very seriously if any other team would have offered us enough to garner the trade.

If not, we would be in exactly the same situation that we are in today....with Peppers signed for 1 yr and $17M tag.

The only other thing he could have done was sign a long term deal before FA started. I respect his right to seek a contract elsewhere....he is not obligated to sign long term with us.

I still hope he gets traded.

why? there is no logical reason to want Peppers gone. you want him gone so we can bring in inferior talent? On the current roster, losing Pep would have a bigger effect than losing Smith, Williams, Jake, or Beason for the upcoming year. He is the DL right now until "hopes" become reality.

And this is really the issue. I think most folks realize it is a business and that players are not going to be loyal like they used to be. Frankly most teams aren't loyal to the players either. But in his effort to get the best deal and widen his list of potential suitors he didn't need to throw the organization under the bus. If he had kept his unhappiness private he could have made it clear to other teams he wanted to leave without broadcasting it on TV and radio.

Exactly. His agent would have been free to go to any team and see if there was any interest in making an offer from what I understand. No need to speak of it publicly at all, IMO. Say Carey had gone to all 31 other teams or however many Pep wanted him to go to and found no interest, or no offer they were interested in. He then could have just come back and signed the tender and engendered little ill will, IMO. I don't think there are too many people who would have begrudged his testing his market value. Certainly I wouldn't have.

It also wouldn't have made him look like he is coming back with his tail between his legs if he hadn't been so adamant in his comments. I don't know why he felt public comments were necessary to his strategy but then again I can't see where he had much of a strategy throughout.

And I have read that his agent's saying he is amenable to a LT deal could also be viewed as a way to get fans "back on his side" more than a real desire. Certainly, that's a possibility.

Archived