• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post-cut Guards, who will we pick up?

Zcustom

Reading this thread is also a lesson in the stupidity of over analyzing a preseason game. Jut look at everyone complaining about how our DEs suck. 

I think some of that stems from a simple misunderstanding of the D-line.  

The best DE's in the world are going to look rather mediocre if they are not paired with good DTs.  There are a variety of reasons for this.  The most obvious being blocking assignments.  If the lineman are able to block the DTs without using a double team, this increases the emphasis on blocking the DEs (especially bull-rushing DEs)  Also, if the QB has a well developed pocket to sit in due to lack of interior push, it can appear that the DEs are just not applying any pressure at all. 

*This is just another reason to be really excited about our defense this season!!!

There is a really interesting position battle for RG in Detroit right now.

They have three solid NFL veterans: Dylan Gandy, Jake Scott and Leroy Harris, they couldn't pass up the opportunity to draft Larry Warford when he fell to them in the 3rd.  With the LG position solidified with Rob Sims and second year man Rodney Austin, it is likely that one of the three veterans competing for the RG spot will be released.

This is aided by the fact that the Lions really like UDFA Darren Keyton who can also play back-up Center.

It is possible, if Warford wins the starting role (which I assume the Lions are pushing for) 2 of the 3 veteran guards could be released.

Look for Dylan Gandy, Jake Scott, Rodney Austin, Rob Sims or Leroy Harris  to hit the market after final cuts are made.  That is just too many highly paid players for one position.

In other words, ignore everything P55 says.

There are also whisperings around the NFL that Seahawks CB Antione Winfield may be cut.........

is he better than Florence at this point? I honestly do not know, I'm not being sarcastic. 5 years ago I would have been all over him. 

Also Seahawks have by far the best secondary in football so that isn't too surprising. 

Archived