• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post-cut Guards, who will we pick up?

Zcustom

There is a really interesting position battle for RG in Detroit right now.

They have three solid NFL veterans: Dylan Gandy, Jake Scott and Leroy Harris, they couldn't pass up the opportunity to draft Larry Warford when he fell to them in the 3rd.  With the LG position solidified with Rob Sims and second year man Rodney Austin, it is likely that one of the three veterans competing for the RG spot will be released.

This is aided by the fact that the Lions really like UDFA Darren Keyton who can also play back-up Center.

It is possible, if Warford wins the starting role (which I assume the Lions are pushing for) 2 of the 3 veteran guards could be released.

Look for Dylan Gandy, Jake Scott, Rodney Austin, Rob Sims or Leroy Harris  to hit the market after final cuts are made.  That is just too many highly paid players for one position.

There WILL be solid guys to pick up? We will be lucky to get anything worthwhile. I'm not saying we can't or wont try to find something. But getting any real improvement is unlikely. Am I the only one who would like to see a trade maybe?

The most likely pull for Gettleman, and not nearly as favorable as getting a player from the Detroit roster would be pulling a young cut from the Giants roster.

They have Boothe and Snee in starter roles at guard and multiple young quality backups along the line including S Caspers (3rd year) , M Jasper (2nd year), Stephen Goodin (2nd year), Chris Degeare (3rd year), etc.

7th round draft pick Eric Herman could likely be hidden away on their practice squad.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/2/4282956/2013-nfl-draft-eric-herman-new-yrok-giants-ohio-university

The most likely pull for Gettleman, and not nearly as favorable as getting a player from the Detroit roster would be pulling a young cut from the Giants roster.

They have Boothe and Snee in starter roles at guard and multiple young quality backups along the line including S Caspers (3rd year) , M Jasper (2nd year), Stephen Goodin (2nd year), Chris Degeare (3rd year), etc.

7th round draft pick Eric Herman could likely be hidden away on their practice squad.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/2/4282956/2013-nfl-draft-eric-herman-new-yrok-giants-ohio-university

I thought this after Zod mentioned it...but why would the Giants cut young cheap guys if they have older guys with injury concerns?

Archived