• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers, ProBowl, Popularity Contest ?

QuasiYoda

a few hundred thousand fan votes vs. a couple of hundred coaches and players votes.

who's vote do you think weighs more?

more than likely, coaches and players are going to vote for their fellow comrads, and if not....chances are they'll vote for whoever the majority of the fans voted for.

after all is said and done, the pro bowl consists of players and coaches that the fans want to see....regardless of what the so called rules of the voting system are.

That makes no sense at all. The votes weigh 1/3 fans, 2/3 players and coaches. The actual number of votes are irrelevant.

Players and coaches know how important it is to win the distinction so I expect they take it seriously and not as a popularity contest. And there are new guys in the probowl that the average fan has never heard of.

Guys like Jordan Gross for example made it in because of the players not the fans.

And the coaches for the pro-bowl are selected based on the previous year playoff results.

??????????????????

That makes no sense at all. The votes weigh 1/3 fans, 2/3 players and coaches. The actual number of votes are irrelevant.

Players and coaches know how important it is to win the distinction so I expect they take it seriously and not as a popularity contest. And there are new guys in the probowl that the average fan has never heard of.

Guys like Jordan Gross for example made it in because of the players not the fans.

And the coaches for the pro-bowl are selected based on the previous year playoff results.

??????????????????

Yeah, I actually used that line of unreasoning before and realized I was nutz for doing so. 1/3 is 1/3, it doesn't matter how many are voting. If it only counts 1/3, then that's what it counts...

Yeah, I actually used that line of unreasoning before and realized I was nutz for doing so. 1/3 is 1/3, it doesn't matter how many are voting. If it only counts 1/3, then that's what it counts...

Then again fan voting seems to be very lopsided. How do you explain 4 Redskins players getting in on offense when they EASILY had one of the worst offenses in the league?

Then again fan voting seems to be very lopsided. How do you explain 4 Redskins players getting in on offense when they EASILY had one of the worst offenses in the league?

Coaches and players got it wrong?

I don't think coaches and players are any less guilty of favoritism at all, not at all.

Coaches and players got it wrong?

I don't think coaches and players are any less guilty of favoritism at all, not at all.

Well I can't speak for the players or coaches, although I think the coaches would probably be the best evaluators for such a thing. I just know when Eli Manning makes it to the Pro Bowl over many better QB's in the NFC, there is a problem.

I was watching a thing about the Pro bowl on Espn, last year when the results were released. The former players on the show, said that players would vote for team mates and other players they knew wouldn't make it in. So they would have less competition at there position. So it's skewed on both ends of the vote process, Not just on the fans side.

It might not mean a whole lot anymore, but the players still get to go to Hawaii and usually contracts have Pro Bowl bonuses tied into them in one way or another.

As for the weighted votes it depends on the situation if the coaches and players will make a difference. Say player A receives a million votes and player b only receives 500k. Then the player vote most likely wont make a difference, even if player B has better stats. Odds are that player isn't going to receive enough coach and player votes to replace the fan voting. Otherwise I doubt that the FB for the Redskins makes it in last year without that promotion from Washington. ( I think he deserved it for the most part, not because of last season per say though)

Archived