• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

King & Rosario

Cat Fanboy

Jeff King is a hell of a tight end. We have the most dangerous receiver in football lining up out wide...that's plenty of passing threat to stretch the field guys.

1 WR is not plenty of passing threat..as good as smith is..if he had a young #2 or a Good pass catching TE he could be a lot better

I've got to agree with Baschski... between Smith and Moose, the field gets stretched. We need a number 3 WR more than a catching TE.

A strong, blocking TE is more important with our running game, as well as to put a good chip block on a DE in passing situations. I'd love to have a Wesley Walls again, but how many times a game do we really need to throw to a TE?

Look at the great TEs in the league today: Gates and Gonzalez (you used to be able to add in Shockey and Crumpler). They are fine athletes, but they became the bread and butter of their offenses because, well, they didn't have ANY other top flight receivers. How many great receivers played for San Diego, Kansas City, the Giants and Falcons?

We've got some good tight ends, and they can catch, but they are more serviceable doing what they are already doing. There are other things that need more fixing than this.

I've got to agree with Baschski... between Smith and Moose, the field gets stretched. We need a number 3 WR more than a catching TE.

A strong, blocking TE is more important with our running game, as well as to put a good chip block on a DE in passing situations. I'd love to have a Wesley Walls again, but how many times a game do we really need to throw to a TE?

Look at the great TEs in the league today: Gates and Gonzalez (you used to be able to add in Shockey and Crumpler). They are fine athletes, but they became the bread and butter of their offenses because, well, they didn't have ANY other top flight receivers. How many great receivers played for San Diego, Kansas City, the Giants and Falcons?

We've got some good tight ends, and they can catch, but they are more serviceable doing what they are already doing. There are other things that need more fixing than this.

The funny thing is that everybody thinks Crumpler is so great and everybody wanted him here so much, but he was only .6 yards per carry better than King, who we all crucify as not being able to get yards after catch? WTF?

King is strong at blocking and has very sure hands. He is not used as he was in Va Tech and that was in the Red Zone where he was a touchdown genius, I don't know why... (and no, I'm not a Tech fan, but I live close, I am a Jeff King fan though)...

Don't have a problem with using the TE in run support. However, we can not expect to have continued success just runniing the football. Considering our #2 is more of a possession WR and our #3 WR is unknown at this point, a TE that can stretch the field a little and draw attention away from Smith makes our offense very hard to defend. We don't necessarily need a Gonzalez- or Gates-caliber TE (though it would be a nice luxury to have). We just need to use all of our weapons to open the running game more. More recieving threats translates to less defenders in the box, and our running game would be a nightmare for opposing defenses to stop. Again, look at Pittsburgh: dominant running team, but uses their TE's effectively enough to diversify their offense and make it tougher for opposing defenses. If Fox can try being just a little less conservative with the TE's, this could really push our offense to the next level IMO.

The funny thing is that everybody thinks Crumpler is so great and everybody wanted him here so much, but he was only .6 yards per carry better than King, who we all crucify as not being able to get yards after catch? WTF?

King is strong at blocking and has very sure hands. He is not used as he was in Va Tech and that was in the Red Zone where he was a touchdown genius, I don't know why... (and no, I'm not a Tech fan, but I live close, I am a Jeff King fan though)...

Have to agree with you on King's blocking. He is solid so those folks expecting to see him gone are going to be disappointed. King does have good hands and can catch the ball.

His route running could use some help and he doesn't use his arms enough in order to keep the linebacker off of him like Moose can. His issue with YAC is that he is almost always blanketed by a defender and doesn't ever get free. I can't tell if they don't set him up to catch it in a seam instead of in front of the defender or something else.

I watch him every year in training camp and he always looks ahead of the other tight ends and he makes some very good catches and he looks kinda fast. I never seem to see him make the same plays in the season. I can't figure it out. I always think he is going to have a breakout season. I would like to see that as much as you would.

King is going to be here as he is relatively cheap and reliable. I would love for him to be a steal as well.

Don't have a problem with using the TE in run support. However, we can not expect to have continued success just runniing the football. Considering our #2 is more of a possession WR and our #3 WR is unknown at this point, a TE that can stretch the field a little and draw attention away from Smith makes our offense very hard to defend. We don't necessarily need a Gonzalez- or Gates-caliber TE (though it would be a nice luxury to have). We just need to use all of our weapons to open the running game more. More recieving threats translates to less defenders in the box, and our running game would be a nightmare for opposing defenses to stop. Again, look at Pittsburgh: dominant running team, but uses their TE's effectively enough to diversify their offense and make it tougher for opposing defenses. If Fox can try being just a little less conservative with the TE's, this could really push our offense to the next level IMO.

I'm pretty sure our running game was a nightmare for opposing defenses regardless of how many balls our TE's were catching. Honestly, as long as Double Trouble is tearing it up on the ground and Smitty is breaking open a big play once in a while, our offense will put up plenty of points. We saw it all last season and there's no reason to believe that we will be any worse.

Rosario sucks. I hope he gets cut.

I said it in another thread and I truly believe Rosario is on his way out. I think Barnidge will pass not only Rosario on the depth Chart but King too. Jeff King has been solid for us. His run blocking cannot be underestimated, but Barnidge is 6'5" and has been improving his blocking. He is a huge target with very good hands.

Rosario for whatever reasons delayed surgery until after the draft. Why? I haven't heard of a valid reason. My only thought is he is not dedicated to the team. Seems he should of had the surgery after the season and been at least partially recovered before the mini-camps and OTA's. He will probably miss most of pre-season. Maybe he saw the light at the end of the tunnel and figured he would be better off being on the IR then being cut.

With the addition of Fiammatti we will carry two FB, and Lloyd and Kasey make two kickers. I don't see a need for three tight ends. I may be wrong and it is only a gut feel but I believe Rosario is gone.

There is better talent on this team than to keep a 3rd TE. Though Rosario is good he kinda reminds me of Colbert. Showed promise his rookie season and garbage since. I believe he is Odd man out but will be employed with another team.

Go Panthers

Archived