• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

King & Rosario

Cat Fanboy

I remember everyone talking about Rosario's athelicism (s?) last year and comparisons to Gates/Gonzo, and watched him make some great catches -

but it's King who always seemed to be clutch on that long 3rd down when the ball wasn't chucked to Smith.

Maybe our TE's are spending most of the time blocking for the Train that's coming but it would be great to see just a few more passes to both these guys.

We may never have Walls back but both can be used more effectively imo.

Like I said in another thread, as long as Jake is our QB the TE position will never be a weapon for us. I would like to see more passes to the TE's as well but what can you do when your QB only see's #89?

Hmmm... come now now.

These 2 got less action than in '07, because we didn't have nearly the same running game, AND we had like 7 millions QB's in '07 as well. They weren't all on the same page with Smitty either.

(07)Jeff King - 46 catches, 2 TD

(08)Jeff King - 21 catches, 1 TD

(07)Dante Rosario - 6 catches, 2 TD

(08)Dante Rosario - 18 catches, 1 TD

13 less balls to those to alone.

Our Running game is our "bread and butter". If they coach thinks the run is gonna get it done, then so be it. the TE's will block. That's always what Fox has wanted to do, because he's a run oriented guy.

If we passed more I think we'd see more to the TE's. Jake liked it when more TE passing plays were put in... but then the line stepped up and the running game came back. and TADA... Back to blocking.

At least that's what I've seen.

I'd like to see them more involved too. But, as a philosophy, I don't think it's big in Fox/Davidson scheme of things. But when they are called. the mostly work. That's what matters.

and to the OP...

but it's King who always seemed to be clutch on that long 3rd down when the ball wasn't chucked to Smith

I think Dwayne Jarrett was more clutch with his 3rd down plays to be honest.

I dunno, I'm tired. but that's what I see.

Contrary to popular belief, Delhomme does not "lock in" on Smith. Any quarterback with a receiver of Smith's calibre would be crazy not to target him as much as possible. More often than not, Smith is going to come away with the catch.

I remember in one of the game's last year (struggling to remember which), Stewart was wide open with no one remotely close to him. I was amazed that with all that time to throw, he didn't chuck it up to the wide-open running back.

Then he chucked up something like a 40-yard pass to Smith in the endzone. :)

Like Alverez has pointed out, the tight-ends in this offense must be good blockers for our backs first and foremost. It would be nice to see Rosario and Barnidge making some nice receptions out there, but I don't think we necessarily need to improve upon it as long as No. 34 and 28 are running the ball effectively.

There's been comparisons done and Jake spreads it just as much as any QB in the NFL.

We've got a good stable with King, Rosario and Barnidge and with our QB coach and Davidson this stable ought to get used more frequently. We won 12 games without using these guys as centre points in the offense and we certainly didn't lose any games because of a lack of production from the tight end position.

So why bother altering it too much?

I remember in one of the game's last year (struggling to remember which), Stewart was wide open with no one remotely close to him. I was amazed that with all that time to throw, he didn't chuck it up to the wide-open running back.

Then he chucked up something like a 40-yard pass to Smith in the endzone. :)

Second TB game. It was just on again on NFLN recently. Good stuff, Alv.

I remember everyone talking about Rosario's athelicism (s?) last year and comparisons to Gates/Gonzo, and watched him make some great catches -

but it's King who always seemed to be clutch on that long 3rd down when the ball wasn't chucked to Smith.

Maybe our TE's are spending most of the time blocking for the Train that's coming but it would be great to see just a few more passes to both these guys.

We may never have Walls back but both can be used more effectively imo.

King was not a third down option very much. He ony had 2 third down catches for a total of 6 yards in 2008. He had no catches when it was third and more than 8 yards.

Even last year with "dump it short" Carr, he only had 8 catches when it was 3rd and 8 or longer. Of those he converted 4 of them.

Just sayin.........

I'm looking for more use of TE's in the passing game. The coaches did not pick up Gary Barnidge for his blocking ability but for his ability to stretch the field seems to me.

if that was the case he would have been starting last season..lol i think barnidge will start but his blocking will have to get a lot better..IMO if we are going to do a lot more passing to the TE i would rather have rasairo and barnidge both can be playmakers in the passing game..but i know king will stick around because of his blocking skills.

Am I the only person who isn't really bothered that our TE's don't catch many balls? We're a run-first offense; we will live and die by our running game. Our TE's are there to be good blockers.

I'm all for that, but a good passing game opens up the running game and keeps opposing defenses honest. Even a decent passing game will mean less 8-9 players in the box, making our running game more potent (not to mention less double-triple coverage on Smith). I don't want a West Coast offense by any stretch, but a balanced offense is the way to go IMO. The Steelers - a team that we are trying to emulate - used the TE very effectively during the postseason and it help them win a SB. Is there a lesson there for the Panthers?

Am I the only person who isn't really bothered that our TE's don't catch many balls? We're a run-first offense; we will live and die by our running game. Our TE's are there to be good blockers.

It bothers me we can't find a guy who can block and catch balls as well. If Moose and Smitty can block very well and still catch balls like they do, there is no reason we can't find a couple of TEs who can block and catch balls also. In the end I would rather have a guy who blocked decently but caught all kinds of balls and stretched the field than I would have a guy block well and only catch a handful of passes.

The more weapons we have on offense, the harder we are to defend. Right now the slowest linebacker can cover King and Rosario. I would like to have a TE who routinely burned LBs so they would occupy a safety which would reduce some double coverage on Smith.

It bothers me we can't find a guy who can block and catch balls as well. If Moose and Smitty can block very well and still catch balls like they do, there is no reason we can't find a couple of TEs who can block and catch balls also. In the end I would rather have a guy who blocked decently but caught all kinds of balls and stretched the field than I would have a guy block well and only catch a handful of passes.

The more weapons we have on offense, the harder we are to defend. Right now the slowest linebacker can cover King and Rosario. I would like to have a TE who routinely burned LBs so they would occupy a safety which would reduce some double coverage on Smith.

Really? Rosario appeared to have pretty good speed when we first drafted him and the handful of times we threw to him last season.

Agree with you on King, and I'm hoping Kevin Brock will finally make him expendable next season. His blocking aside, he gives us very little offensively albeit a few 3rd down catches and no YAC. Not hating on the guy, but I think we could use an upgrade there IMO.

Archived