• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's bring the MLS to Charlotte

CardiacCats

I think the best chance is having the committee bump up the Carolina Railhawks to the MLS and then let them play at Carter-Finley Stadium while bumping up the Charlotte Eagles to the USL.

The Railhawks are always atop the standings in the USL and are constantly losing players and coaches to the MLS, it's about time they were able to keep some of their own guys.

The Eagles can't even pull 1,000 people to games on average. And like I said earlier, the Wilmington Hammerheads bring in more people than the Railhawks do despite being in a lower division.

I personally think they should take the top teams attendance wise from both the 2nd and 3rd divisions and create a division for them instead of having two different divisions with a few teams that bring in 5 times less people to games than the others.

The Eagles can't even pull 1,000 people to games on average. And like I said earlier, the Wilmington Hammerheads bring in more people than the Railhawks do despite being in a lower division.

I personally think they should take the top teams attendance wise from both the 2nd and 3rd divisions and create a division for them instead of having two different divisions with a few teams that bring in 5 times less people to games than the others.

Eh, the Railhawks pull about 5,000 a night... The Hammerheads maximum capacity is 6,000.

It also has to do with quality, the Railhawks have shown that they can compete with MLS teams and have been in the NASL playoffs five of the last six years.

Last year they beat the Galaxy in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup while advancing to the round of 32. This year they beat Chivas USA and the L.A. Galaxy in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup advancing all the way the final 8 before losing to Real Salt Lake.

Both the Chivas USA game and the L.A. Galaxy games sold out.

You also have to take in account that there is no entertainment in either Charleston or Wilmington at night, so their numbers will obviously be inflated. During the fall season, the Railhawks are competing with the Hurricanes, Wolf Pack, Tar Heels, and Blue Devils for ticket sales. If they were bumped up to the MLS they would certainly see an increased number in ticket sales.

Finically, where would the Wilmington based team play? There isn't a stadium in Wilmington that could house an MLS team.

The San Jose Earthquakes are currently in the smallest MLS stadium until their new stadium which seats 18,000 is built.

If the Railhawks were able to convince the MLS that they could clear out some of the trees in the back ground to expand WakeMed soccer park onto a double-decker stadium that seats 20,000 then Raleigh would get the MLS team.

Also don't forget that Mark Abbott has been to countless Railhawks games which leads to speculation that Raleigh will eventually get an MLS team.

Link: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/07/1987334/as-mls-visits-raleigh-only-question.html

Eh, the Railhawks pull about 5,000 a night... The Hammerheads maximum capacity is 6,000.

It also has to do with quality, the Railhawks have shown that they can compete with MLS teams and have been in the NASL playoffs five of the last six years.

Last year they beat the Galaxy in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup while advancing to the round of 32. This year they beat Chivas USA and the L.A. Galaxy in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup advancing all the way the final 8 before losing to Real Salt Lake.

Both the Chivas USA game and the L.A. Galaxy games sold out.

You also have to take in account that there is no entertainment in either Charleston or Wilmington at night, so their numbers will obviously be inflated. During the fall season, the Railhawks are competing with the Hurricanes, Wolf Pack, Tar Heels, and Blue Devils for ticket sales. If they were bumped up to the MLS they would certainly see an increased number in ticket sales.

Finically, where would the Wilmington based team play? There isn't a stadium in Wilmington that could house an MLS team.

The San Jose Earthquakes are currently in the smallest MLS stadium until their new stadium which seats 18,000 is built.

If the Railhawks were able to convince the MLS that they could clear out some of the trees in the back ground to expand WakeMed soccer park onto a double-decker stadium that seats 20,000 then Raleigh would get the MLS team.

Also don't forget that Mark Abbott has been to countless Railhawks games which leads to speculation that Raleigh will eventually get an MLS team.

Link: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/07/1987334/as-mls-visits-raleigh-only-question.html

I wasn't saying that they should be bumped up to MLS, just a 2nd division. As for your other argument, it should be noted that the Hammerheads made a huge run a few years back and blasted the Chicago Fire 4-1 I believe.

Regardless, according to last season's numbers, the Hammerheads actually pulled about 500 more per game than the Railhawks.

I wasn't saying that they should be bumped up to MLS, just a 2nd division. As for your other argument, it should be noted that the Hammerheads made a huge run a few years back and blasted the Chicago Fire 4-1 I believe.

Regardless, according to last season's numbers, the Hammerheads actually pulled about 500 more per game than the Railhawks.

I've seen the Hammerheads play and they're a solid team but to compare them to the Railhawks who are in a higher division and constantly atop the NASL leader board is premature. The Railhawks recently lost two players and their head coach to the MLS (Martin Rennie is now the head coach of Vancouver and he brought Brad Rusin with him and Daniel Paladini now plays for the Chicago Fire.

Also, if you are talking about the 2013 Spring Season, then you would be mistaken about attendance.

Hammerheads- http://dohertysoccer.com/2013-lower-division-attendances/2013-usl-pro-attendance/ (3,258)

Railhawks- http://www.recklesschallenge.net/2013-nasl-fall-preview-carolina-railhawks-fc/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=2013-nasl-fall-preview-carolina-railhawks-fc (4,707)

IF we are going to do it then I would love to see a soccer specific stadium built uptown ala KC, Philly, Dallas etc. I'm not that interested in watching at BoFa or some other stadium that is not downtown. MLS is getting better.

But yeah, RDU would be a better draw I would think.

WakeMed Soccer Park is a soccer specific stadium. It used to be the home of the Carolina Courage of the WUSA and the Raleigh CASL Elite team of the PDL before both leagues dismembered. Now it's the home of the Carolina Railhawks of the NASL (one division below the MLS) and the NCSU Wolfpack (soccer team).

The soccer park has a main stadium that can seat 10,000 and accompany up to 12,000 (standing room). The park also has two lighted practice fields and four additional practice fields. When I was younger I used to have games on the practice fields when I played for CASL.

The stadium is home to the men's and women's ACC soccer championships and has also hosted the men's and women's NCAA soccer championships.

The stadium has also been used countless times to host international friendlies for USA (men and women), Jamaica (men), Japan (women), Honduras (men), Panama (men), El Salvador (men), and Canada (women).

In 2002, 2006, and 2011, the stadium was used as the primary facility for Team USA's World Cup Training Camp.

If they can expand the stadium by 8,000 then there is no reason that, that venue can't house an MLS team.

I've seen the Hammerheads play and they're a solid team but to compare them to the Railhawks who are in a higher division and constantly atop the NASL leader board is premature. The Railhawks recently lost two players and their head coach to the MLS (Martin Rennie is now the head coach of Vancouver and he brought Brad Rusin with him and Daniel Paladini now plays for the Chicago Fire.

Also, if you are talking about the 2013 Spring Season, then you would be mistaken about attendance.

Hammerheads- http://dohertysoccer.com/2013-lower-division-attendances/2013-usl-pro-attendance/ (3,258)

Railhawks- http://www.recklesschallenge.net/2013-nasl-fall-preview-carolina-railhawks-fc/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=2013-nasl-fall-preview-carolina-railhawks-fc (4,707)

I'm talking about 2012, but in which the Hammerheads averaged 1,000 more than your numbers, and the Railhawks about 1,000 less than your numbers. Now maybe it did change that much in a single year, but I wouldn't count on it.

http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=4918

As for players, just off the top of my head, Glenn Murray was the 3rd highest goalscorer in all of Europe last season (31 goals, behind only Messi & Ronaldo), and essentially single handedly bumped Crystal Palace up to the Premier League.

Regardless, I'm not arguing that the Hammerheads are a better team, but when it comes to attendance, they're up at the top of the 3rd division and would be the same in the 2nd division.

Take San Antonio, Atlanta, Carolina, Ft Lauderdale, and Tampa Bay. Then add Orlando, Rochester, Wilmington, Charleston, and Richmond. Boom, 10 team league cutting out the lesser attendance getters, who can be added to a new 3rd league.

I'm talking about 2012, but in which the Hammerheads averaged 1,000 more than your numbers, and the Railhawks about 1,000 less than your numbers. Now maybe it did change that much in a single year, but I wouldn't count on it.

http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=4918

As for players, just off the top of my head, Glenn Murray was the 3rd highest goalscorer in all of Europe last season (31 goals, behind only Messi & Ronaldo), and essentially single handedly bumped Crystal Palace up to the Premier League.

Regardless, I'm not arguing that the Hammerheads are a better team, but when it comes to attendance, they're up at the top of the 3rd division and would be the same in the 2nd division.

Take San Antonio, Atlanta, Carolina, Ft Lauderdale, and Tampa Bay. Then add Orlando, Rochester, Wilmington, Charleston, and Richmond. Boom, 10 team league cutting out the lesser attendance getters, who can be added to a new 3rd league.

The Railhawks always do well in the spring season because they aren't competing with the Hurricanes, Tar Heels, Wolfpack, and Blue Devils.

Also the huge difference is quality in competition the NASL league provides better competition than the USL. It's sad when you have colleges beating one of the teams in your league (Charlotte).

Like I said before, the Railhawks are the best team in the NASL and with Abbot visiting the city multiple times, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when Raleigh will get an MLS team.

The Railhawks always do well in the spring season because they aren't competing with the Hurricanes, Tar Heels, Wolfpack, and Blue Devils.

Also the huge difference is quality in competition the NASL league provides better competition than the USL. It's sad when you have colleges beating one of the teams in your league (Charlotte).

Like I said before, the Railhawks are the best team in the NASL and with Abbot visiting the city multiple times, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when Raleigh will get an MLS team.

I mean, I hope you guys do get an MLS team. Are there any chances that the Railhawks stay where they are and then they build a new franchise up in Raleigh rather than Cary (which is where the Railhawks play, right?)

I mean, I hope you guys do get an MLS team. Are there any chances that the Railhawks stay where they are and then they build a new franchise up in Raleigh rather than Cary (which is where the Railhawks play, right?)

Yeah it's in Cary and I doubt it. The city won't even build the Hurricanes their own arena and they won the f*cking Stanley Cup.

They would also have to rename the team as well. The reason they are called the Railhawks is because there is a railroad track that literally runs parallel to the road that the stadium is on

I don't care where the team is located honestly as their games would be televised in NC. I just hope we get a team.

Yeah it's in Cary and I doubt it. The city won't even build the Hurricanes their own arena and they won the f*cking Stanley Cup.

They would also have to rename the team as well. The reason they are called the Railhawks is because there is a railroad track that literally runs parallel to the road that the stadium is on

I don't care where the team is located honestly as their games would be televised in NC. I just hope we get a team.

I havent been to the Railhawks stadium in a while, but I remember it was a nightmare getting out after games because there is only one exit

They would need to do something if they add another ~5000 seats

Archived