• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you think that the bump-and-run will fare well?

top dawg

I was trying to get a handle on Meeks' defensive philosophy, and I do believe that he is going to incorporate the bump-and-run?

This could be a reason as to why we drafted fast but physical defensive men Martin and Munnerlyn. Anyway, do you believe that our backfield has the athleticism and toughness to play the bump-and-run effectively?

I have barely any concerns about the secondary.

Godfrey will be one of the best safteys that we have had this decade. Harris isn't a coverage guy but he definately makes up for it in other ways. Gamble, marshall and martin could fit any system.

We'll do just fine.

I hope you're right but I don't think he will pass the old #30 Mike Minter.

I think we have loads of talent that can play any good scheme. Last years D was just horrible cause of bad coaching IMO. Really how do you forget about Fitz???? Thats like telling Smith he is a pussy that cant play football.

I was trying to get a handle on Meeks' defensive philosophy, and I do believe that he is going to incorporate the bump-and-run?

This could be a reason as to why we drafted fast but physical defensive men Martin and Munnerlyn. Anyway, do you believe that our backfield has the athleticism and toughness to play the bump-and-run effectively?

Well, no....our defense is more of a zone defense now more than ever. If you watch the Colts secondary play, they don't play a jam defensive scheme...it is zone all the way

I think our secondary will be find and play the bump and run well, and I think Godfrey will do a great job you have to remember he was a rookie last year so some of the mistake he made was kinda expected. So with having a full year under his belt we should see what he really has this season.

but if we are a tampa 2 zone we will be jamming at the line becasuse it throws the wr off his route as well as give the safety time to get the deep part of the zone if a wr is there.cover 2 the cb got the flat, so i do see us jamming a lot.

I think you are right.

Last year we were running more cover 3 which puts your corners 10 yards off the LOS in deep coverage with your free safety. Linebackers covered the flats.

Depending on what they run this year it could be more of a cover 2 zone under which would allow the corners to play closer to the line of scrimmage and engage the receiver off the line of scrimmage.

As for the original question of bump and run, that is usually considered a term associated with man coverage not zone. Corners may jam, engage, and hand the receiver off as they pass to the next zone but won't likely stay with them one on one in deep coverage unless we reconfigure our defense to do that specifically like when we play Fitzgerald again.

Me personally I would like see us do a zone coverage but at times put a guy like Gamble one on one with a receiver with help over the top. That way we take a player out of the game like other teams have done over the years with Smith for example.

Well, no....our defense is more of a zone defense now more than ever. If you watch the Colts secondary play, they don't play a jam defensive scheme...it is zone all the way

No offense, but Meeks is described as a coach that takes his player skills into account to form his defense, playing to their strengths, not the other way of forcing them into his style. So why would you use a preconceived notion to dictate what he is going to do? Not saying you are wrong, just saying that Meeks is known for playing to the talent on his team and if we have the talent to bump and run, why wouldn't he use it?

The rule book has just about killed the bump and run and made it where you need corners that can run with the receivers and have a closing burst in order to close distance. Harris is not a great coverage back but is more of a punisher or enforcer and makes people pay for making catches. That makes for a tough defense to pass against and that causes the QB to hold the ball a second longer and that makes for DEs to have high sack #s.

Archived