• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Very general philosophical tweaks for our offense

top dawg

We had a pretty good offense last year. D-Will probably accounted for half the horsepower of our engine, but now I am thinking that we need to oil it some more to get optimum performance by:

1. Designing some pass plays for Deangelo Williams (and company), preferably in the flat where he can get his motor running. Let the NCAA all-purpose yards leader do his thing by throwing to him.

2. Incorporating some more screen passes (in addition to the overused Smitty Screen (for lack of a better term).

3. Throwing to the TEs (which you know will be open most of the time) around five times per game, especially down in the red zone and end zone. Why squander all that athleticism and talent?

4. Using the draw play, the counter trey, and other running plays of misdirection a little more liberally.

5. Continued use and mastery of the shotgun

6. Getting the ball to the open number 3 receiver when warranted

(7. Perhaps throwing in a trick play every once in a blue moon, though I know that this is probably delusional on a Jon Fox team).

It seems as though I have been saying the same thing for years. They started using the shotgun more effectively a couple of years ago, now I only hope that the OC and Fox will ironically become a little more imaginative by using some of these "old school" tactics. I believe that incorporating more use of these tactics will ultimately lead to more ball control, time of possession, and ultimately a more precise and successful offensive machine.

Ya gotta get the ball in DW's hands as much as possible. Screens and more screens.

I think that's why they got Goodwin. 3rd down back.

Need one other option in the red zone(Jarrett, TE) to make the team very difficult to stop.

Seems like these are things that can apply to 90% of the teams in the league

You may be right, in theory. But, not trying to sound like a homer, the Panthers' offense was one of the better ones in the league last year, so much so that we (unlike 90% of the teams in the league) had a good look at getting into the dance. Just think what would happen if we really did incorporate some of these things within an already good, but potentially explosive offense. Dynamite!

I don't want ANY changes to the offense. It's working perfectly well as it is.

You can never get too comfortable. The NFL is a fluid league where teams are always trying to improve. If you don't, then you'll find yourself losing ground.

In any event, last year's Oakland, Tampa Bay, and to a lesser extent the Minny game left a lot to be desired. There is ALWAYS room for improvement in the execution of play on both sides of the ball, particularly when you have to face even tougher defenses (and better teams) than in the previous year.

We had a pretty good offense last year. D-Will probably accounted for half the horsepower of our engine, but now I am thinking that we need to oil it some more to get optimum performance by:

1. Designing some pass plays for Deangelo Williams (and company), preferably in the flat where he can get his motor running. Let the NCAA all-purpose yards leader do his thing by throwing to him.

2. Incorporating some more screen passes (in addition to the overused Smitty Screen (for lack of a better term).

3. Throwing to the TEs (which you know will be open most of the time) around five times per game, especially down in the red zone and end zone. Why squander all that athleticism and talent?

4. Using the draw play, the counter trey, and other running plays of misdirection a little more liberally.

5. Need to use and master the shotgun moreeee

6. Getting the ball to the open number 3 receiver when warranted

(7. Perhaps throwing in a trick play every once in a blue moon, though I know that this is probably delusional on a Jon Fox team).

It seems as though I have been saying the same thing for years. They started using the shotgun more effectively a couple of years ago, now I only hope that the OC and Fox will ironically become a little more imaginative by using some of these "old school" tactics. I believe that incorporating more use of these tactics will ultimately lead to more ball control, time of possession, and ultimately a more precise and successful offensive machine.

Fixed.

a great run game can cover up a lot of our flaws...its still things we can do

Word! That's what I'm sayin'.

Let's not mistake the magnificent Deangelo Williams (and to a lesser extent, the outstanding Jonathan Stewart) for a panacea or facade for a need for improvement.

Archived