• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Meeks bring out some leadership/fire in Peppers?

The Question

I don't think that Meeks needs to bring out any leadership or fire in Peppers. The guy is who he is. What Meeks needs to do is to make good on his promise to develop a system built around the players strengths.

Peppers really would be best if he could move around, take different angles, to take advantage of his speed and quickness. That is reallly what Pepper's wants I think and a reason why he might want to go to a 3-4. If Meeks finds ways to let that happen, within the context of his 4-3, Peppers will be content and will likely have his best year ever. If he doesn't sign long-term before July 15th, he may want to when he sees how this defense is built around him.

Fsntasy perhaps??

As a Panther fan, until proven otherwise, that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

i like it.

I don't think that Meeks needs to bring out any leadership or fire in Peppers. The guy is who he is. What Meeks needs to do is to make good on his promise to develop a system built around the players strengths.

Peppers really would be best if he could move around, take different angles, to take advantage of his speed and quickness. That is reallly what Pepper's wants I think and a reason why he might want to go to a 3-4. If Meeks finds ways to let that happen, within the context of his 4-3, Peppers will be content and will likely have his best year ever. If he doesn't sign long-term before July 15th, he may want to when he sees how this defense is built around him.

Fsntasy perhaps??

As a Panther fan, until proven otherwise, that's my story and I'm stickin to it.

I'll have some of that Kool-Aid, as well.

as to the OP.....leadership no. fire....maybe.

neither one of those are JPs bag. he does what he does and he's better off without being put into a box. hopefully meeks lets him out of it and baker helps give him some more tools for life outside of it.

if peppers is allowed free reign...that could be scary. let brown and peppers find their own spots and we could have one of the most frightening defenses in the league.

Pep is an individual, he's not going to make anybody else play better, he's just got to make himself play at the top of his game. He's not a leader, he's not speaking out, it's not going to happen. That's OK, as long as he can pressure the QB, and Brown does the same from the other side.

I am sure meeks will if peppers allow him to. Pepper is turning 30 this year. It is time for him to step up and be leader for this team like mike rucker was and mike minter. I am surprise that peppers never took in the leadership skills for rucker and minter. But hopefully pepper finally lead this team this year.

neither one of those are JPs bag.

As usual, you and P55 are right on with what I think.

Meeks' job is to help everyone play better. If he is a good leader & coach, he already knows that everyone is different and hence must be handled in different ways to maximize their effort. Pep doesn't have to be some rah rah dude for either this D or him to be successful. They already have Beason and Harris for that (and I love it).

yeah, pep has his own way of doing things and own way of interacting with the players. being a "leader" just isn't one of them. he's just a guy with a lot of natural talent who only wants to do one thing....get to the passer. i don't think he's interested in being a leader or anything. he just wants to play and there's nothing wrong with that, esp. when we have the leaders that we do on the D. we have beason, harris, and brayton (very underrated in the leadership capacity, imo.) there really isn't a need for much else. i could see brown as an eventual one and charles johnson might be.

to a large extent i can empathize with peppers. you want to be in a situation where you only have to do one thing and do it your own way. you have enough talent that you can be just let loose to do it and have enough intelligence (as far as this one thing goes, anyway) to find ways of getting it done. the only problem is you have your own way of doing things and it may not make sense to the leaders/coaches but it will still work. you just want to be trusted to find a way to get the job done and you deserve that trust.

with trgo...everything was controlled. everything was planned and organized and ended up being too complicated. peppers and the rest of the defense was put into a trgobox and it not only took the fun out of it, the ending result was it was just too much and it collapsed. that playoff game was the last straw. trgo's inability to adjust and trust his players to get the job done played a huge part in them losing the game. it wasn't the only thing but it played a huge part. panthers D had reached it's ceiling with trgo at DC and so had all of the players.

now it is a brand new ball game and with it comes a lot of reason for optimism. the more i think about it, the more i feel that not only will the panthers flat out dominate, the best will be brought out of our players and we will be seeing a happy and productive peppers for years. letting peppers be peppers is what the doctor ordered.

Archived