• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fiammetta signs

I don't think he'll bounce hoover this or next season. However I think with his skill sets and speed, that he should be polished enough Talent wise going into this season to take some plays away from Hoover. Which in my book is a good thing, the longer you can keep (one of if not the best blocking fb in the league) fresh the better.

There's people here that think he'll bounce Hoover this year. Not saying you, but look at posts following the draft. I don't know whether it was a utopian high of actually drafting a FB or they actaully thought Fiammetta was going to waltz right in here and snag the job from Hoover.

Either way, it's not a consensus that Hoover get's the starting job this year.

Agreed, a supplementary role this season would be a good thing and keep Hoover fresher.

Seems to me that our draft picks will be signed as the guys around them are signed giving everyone a reference point for negotiating. Seems most of the time our highest picks are harder to sign as everyone sits around waiting for the other guys to get signed around them so they know what they can ask for. Add the potential first round guys who are picked lower like Brown who will say they should have gone higher and you have several bones of contention. I suspect the agent's experience will also factor in. I wonder if the big firms who are negotiating a number of guys all the time are easier or harder than a guy who is trying to establish themselves or trying to make a name for himself as a tough negotiator.

As for Fiammetta I am glad he is signed and am sure he will make the roster. He might even get in on passing downs where we might run the screen or swing a pass out to the fullback. He has good hands and has the speed to get out in front of the screen. As for whether he is an upgrade to Hoover, he will have to be pretty spectacular to pull that off. Still we know that Hoover is on his last contract so we have locked up his successor for the next decade. Plus we have a real capable guy if Hoover gets nicked up which happens more often the older you are. He was an excellent pickup and shows the kind of long range picture Hurney and Fox have. Dispels all the "hot seat" and "gonna be gone" soon nonsense.

We've signed a full back every year before training camp and every year they are either cut before the season or sit on the practice squad until another team signs them.

We'll see how this one goes.

This time seems a bit different though, going out and spending a draft pick on a fullback is a change from that routine. A lot of times we will hire camp fodder that will help take wear and tear off of the vets, I think this is an attempt to look at replacing Hoover, which wont' be easy in the least.

Gantt confirms what a lot of us were thinking (link)

Now that the big news is taken care of, the Panthers are handling the smaller stuff quickly. They've finalized deals with fourth-rounders Mike Goodson and Tony Fiammetta Friday, giving them three of their seven picks under contract.

Now all they've got left is second-rounders Everette Brown and Sherrod Martin, third-rounder Corvey Irvin and fifth-rounder Duke Robinson. It's a much earlier start to this process than normal. Maybe negotiator Rob Rogers is looking to go on vacation next week.

Gantt confirms what a lot of us were thinking (link)
i expect we will have one or two signed tomorrow. i'm betting they are trying to get it all done before next week or at the very latest before the 15th so they know where they stand when they talk to peppers again about a long term deal.

Archived