• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Story of music

Zcustom

So as most of you know I am a drummer.  Yay me!

I played in a blues band with the same group of guys for about 8 years, we were called Willie Brown and the Bail Jumpers, then just The Bail Jumpers, then 4th Street Willie, and finally (and most successfully) Slick Shift.

That band broke up and I considered giving up music.  I was young and thought that you had one shot at this.  I was wrong.

I put an ad on Myspace (lol) and before I knew it I had tryouts with 5 different bands.  I made all 5 bands, which I'm not sure if that was an indictment on the lack of charlotte drummers or if I was better than I realized. 2 of the 5 were paid gigs and when my son was born I had to quit the other 3 non-paying gigs for obvious reasons.

Music is my passion in life, and it pained me that the two bands I was in were just jobs.  Not everyone in each band was 100% into and that just plain sucks.

I vowed to start a project that was the burning fiery passion of each member.  I reached out to my friend who fronted my first band, and an idea was born.  A celtic punk band in the vein of Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's etc.

Ghosts of Bannockburn was formed in January of this year, and we've already made more progress than any band I've ever been in.  We have a multi-instrumentalist who plays bagpipes, fiddle, mandolin, and keys; an electric guitar player, an acoustic guitar player, drums and bass.

Why am I writing this thread?  Because I used to be able to bring my musical projects to the huddle and get support, honest feedback, and general good conversation.  Those days seem to be gone.  On the off chance that they're not, I wanted to share my renewed love for music.

I've never been happier playing music, and the same is true for the other 4 guys in the band.  I can't wait to see just how far we can go, and if the current trajectory is any indication you may want to get in on the ground floor of this thing.

Maybe one day I'll post some videos of the band, but not right now.  This is just me screaming to the huddle world that I'm happy playing music again, and it feels good.

tl;dr

kma

kthxbye

In an age where "musical artists" are nothing more than stage production, talent show contestant, marketing imagery, the real musicians and bands that toil in relative obscurity for years before being discovered are rare. To "find" one of those bands and watch their subsequent rise to some level of success is satisfying and the music worth the while. 

We should all be listening to the true artists who write, play and sing their own catalog rather than the auto-tuned, airbrushed, no-talent pop garbage filling the airwaves today.

I salute you Z! Now... if I don't live nearby, where can I find your stuff?

its up to guys like us to turn that around though....be a leader!!!!

working on that, my job saps my every moment from 6am to 5pm and then I spend quality time with my kids until they go to bed.  Once they are in bed the wife and I get an average of an hour together before it's bedtime.

life is exciting right now lol

let me tell you all potty training stories.....***crickets***

In an age where "musical artists" are nothing more than stage production, talent show contestant, marketing imagery, the real musicians and bands that toil in relative obscurity for years before being discovered are rare. To "find" one of those bands and watch their subsequent rise to some level of success is satisfying and the music worth the while. 

We should all be listening to the true artists who write, play and sing their own catalog rather than the auto-tuned, airbrushed, no-talent pop garbage filling the airwaves today.

I salute you Z! Now... if I don't live nearby, where can I find your stuff?

Very thoughtful and poignant response, thanks!  Check us out here http://www.reverbnation.com/ghostsofbannockburn

In my defense, I did make it out to see Z play in some dive bar in Matthews/Mint Hill about a year ago. Was a good time.

Me - 1

Rest of the Huddle - 0

This is true, I still hate that you came to what was probably the worst show I've ever been a part of, but what can you do right?

Very thoughtful and poignant response, thanks!  Check us out here http://www.reverbnation.com/ghostsofbannockburn

This is true, I still hate that you came to what was probably the worst show I've ever been a part of, but what can you do right?

Well I may just have to come check you guys out at the Galway Hooker on 7/26. Haven't been out there in awhile and have been wanting to go.

Z's band hasn't played in Wilmington.  If they do and I don't go, then you can yell at me.

...and stop bad mouthing bewbs.  

Besides, I liked your facebook page and never did get to see MPF's boobs.  We got robbed.

Whoa whoa whoa!!!  I never badmouthed bewbs, let's get that straight.  Bewbs and music make the world go round.

Are there any good irish/scottish pubs in ILM?

Well I may just have to come check you guys out at the Galway Hooker on 7/26. Haven't been out there in awhile and have been wanting to go.

I highly recommend it, especially for single guys.  Last time we played there it was packed all night with a 70/30 women/men ratio, I had never seen that before in the Charlotte area.

Archived