• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers signed his tender (per WFNZ)

PanthersAlv

IMO he will play for us this season.

Trading him gives us NO Value this season. I do believe that the compensation for signing him is 2 - 1st rounders.

Barring some wild trade that gives us a DT and a #1 pick I don't see Peppers going anywhere.

I actually believe Pepper's might be excited about playing in Meeks's defense.

The only advantage to him signing now as opposed to a month from now is to shut up the whiners that have been attacking him (if he happens to care about the whiners) or because a trade is working. Other than that signing now makes no sense unless he has heard enough from players and Meeks about the "new" defense.

The only advantage to him signing now as opposed to a month from now is to shut up the whiners that have been attacking him (if he happens to care about the whiners) or because a trade is working. Other than that signing now makes no sense unless he has heard enough from players and Meeks about the "new" defense.

You know, I agree with that. What was the advantage of signing this far ahead of training camp unless he's either excited about the new defense or a trade is in the works? Or because he's been sitting at home perusing the message boards...

Love you Pep, time to get on it...

You know, if I hear someone around me booing him that is not wearing an opposing teams jersey, we're gonna have a big problem. He's a Panther, let it be...

You know, I agree with that. What was the advantage of signing this far ahead of training camp unless he's either excited about the new defense or a trade is in the works? Or because he's been sitting at home perusing the message boards...

You know, if I hear someone around me booing him that is not wearing an opposing teams jersey, we're gonna have a big problem. He's a Panther, let it be...

:iagree:

~~~~:iagree:

~~~~~~~~~~~:iagree:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:iagree:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:iagree:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:iagree:

Once again you show your complete lack of understanding of the situation.

Peppers had alot to lose by not signing until later. If he had an injury (either training, car accident, etc..) then we pull the tag and he is left with nothing.

Peppers saw that his only option was to either hold out or play here for $17M. Holding out would be catastrophic....thus, he was going to play.

Then....if he was going to play, nothing good could come from not signing.

Please stop...take a deep breath....and think before you make another terribly stupid post.

There is a big advantage to signing now. It help mend fences, quiets any ongoing distraction, and gives them the opportunity to explore a longterm contract.

All this discussion about cap room makes very little sense anyway. With 21 of 22 starters we were looking for backups anyway and have traditionally looked at the draft for that. We weren't going to sing a bunch of free agents then and aren't going to sign them now or in the future.

This was a smart move on all fronts.

I really dont think Pep wants to go anywhere. Think about what is at stake here. He is making $17mil this year. Next year is possibly not capped. Why would you sign a long term deal with that scenario in front of you. After this season if there isn't a new collective bargaining agreement, he could sign a long term deal for whatever he wants. Why be stuck in a contract making $9mil per year for the next 5 to 7 years when you can make $17mil this year and the sky is the limit next year. He could sign for $17mil per year for 5 to 7 years. I think this was a plot that was well thought out by Peppers and Carey.

I really dont think Pep wants to go anywhere. Think about what is at stake here. He is making $17mil this year. Next year is possibly not capped. Why would you sign a long term deal with that scenario in front of you. After this season if there isn't a new collective bargaining agreement, he could sign a long term deal for whatever he wants. Why be stuck in a contract making $9mil per year for the next 5 to 7 years when you can make $17mil this year and the sky is the limit next year. He could sign for $17mil per year for 5 to 7 years. I think this was a plot that was well thought out by Peppers and Carey.

his deal will be for much more than 9 a year. i'd guess an average of 14 per.

He found out he wasn't as great as he thought he was. He may sign longterm and stay here because we will pay him more than anyone else will.

And the sky isn't the limit. While next year could be uncapped, the following one surely will be. Any deal made next year will have to fit inder the cap in the future so teams won't be spending crazy like in baseball where there is no cap.

It isn't rocket science.

The long-term deal will either include a clause for escalators in the event of an uncapped season, or be backloaded pretty hefty...

Think of it this way...

1 year at 17 mil would be nice, and then in the event of an uncapped year, the sky is the limit to leave town...

BUT! 6-7 years at a guaranteed base $90-105 mil is a lot more secure... Provisions for the 2nd year could allow for dramatic increases for that year alone... The base contract could average about $14 mil a year, but wouldn't (it'd increase gradually)... He'd stay in his home state, get fair money, and be able to retire with a secure future and complete/honorable/possibly HOF worthy career...

Archived