• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers signed his tender (per WFNZ)

PanthersAlv

He found out he wasn't as great as he thought he was. He may sign longterm and stay here because we will pay him more than anyone else will.

And the sky isn't the limit. While next year could be uncapped, the following one surely will be. Any deal made next year will have to fit inder the cap in the future so teams won't be spending crazy like in baseball where there is no cap.

It isn't rocket science.

I hate to inform you, but if there is no cap next year, we will never have a cap. It will be just like baseball where teams spend like crazy. That is why I hope all this gets resolved before next year.

It isn't rocket science.

I hate to inform you, but if there is no cap next year, we will never have a cap. It will be just like baseball where teams spend like crazy. That is why I hope all this gets resolved before next year.

It isn't rocket science.

They will get the cap done. I have 100% faith.

They know the cap is good for the game and its the reason football has overtaken baseball as the nations most popular sport. The parity is key.

There is a big advantage to signing now. It help mend fences, quiets any ongoing distraction, and gives them the opportunity to explore a longterm contract.

All this discussion about cap room makes very little sense anyway. With 21 of 22 starters we were looking for backups anyway and have traditionally looked at the draft for that. We weren't going to sing a bunch of free agents then and aren't going to sign them now or in the future.

This was a smart move on all fronts.

Panthers55 love your posts intelligent, well reasoned, gems on this board.

However I could definitely see the Panthers aggressively shopping to shore up areas which have less than ideal depth like the O-line. We have our Bye week in after only 3 games. That 13 game stretch to follow will likely get tougher as we close to the end at New England, Minnesota, at New York Giants and New Orleans( who have spoiled our plans in the past). Odds are good we will want to have as many versatile 2nd tier players as possible. Though who to let go tempers the issue for sure.

I expect at least one Veteran Player would come on board if they can get Peppers on a long term deal to free up the space. There are always teams who are over loaded with talent in one particular area that pushes out some quality talent.

Once again you show your complete lack of understanding of the situation.

Peppers had alot to lose by not signing until later. If he had an injury (either training, car accident, etc..) then we pull the tag and he is left with nothing.

Peppers saw that his only option was to either hold out or play here for $17M. Holding out would be catastrophic....thus, he was going to play.

Then....if he was going to play, nothing good could come from not signing.

Please stop...take a deep breath....and think before you make another terribly stupid post.

so the fact that he might get sick, or have a catastrophic incident in his life is reason to sign now and that he could mend fences that some people think are broken in spite of Marty continuously saying that he tagged him to keep him and wants him to play an the teammates repeatedly make comments to the tune of "come back Pep, you're gonna love it" is why there is an advantage for him to sign now...???....

OK

COMPLETELY ridiculous. if he can't play due to illness and gets cut he will get better and play somewhere else like he wanted to all along or never play again. Same with a car accident.

THAT was stupid madhatter....maybe the dumbest thing ever posted here.

As far as mending fences here. I do not see that there are any for him to mend at all. They want him to the tune of 17 mil a season even with the possibility that he may remain unhappy in Charlotte for the entire season.

again not such a bright theory.

so the fact that he might get sick, or have a catastrophic incident in his life is reason to sign now and that he could mend fences that some people think are broken in spite of Marty continuously saying that he tagged him to keep him and wants him to play an the teammates repeatedly make comments to the tune of "come back Pep, you're gonna love it" is why there is an advantage for him to sign now...???....

OK

COMPLETELY ridiculous. if he can't play due to illness and gets cut he will get better and play somewhere else like he wanted to all along or never play again. Same with a car accident.

THAT was stupid madhatter....maybe the dumbest thing ever posted here.

As far as mending fences here. I do not see that there are any for him to mend at all. They want him to the tune of 17 mil a season even with the possibility that he may remain unhappy in Charlotte for the entire season.

again not such a bright theory.

You are so off base that you continue to make yourself look like a bigger idiot.

You saying that he has nothing to gain by signing now vs signing right before Training Camp is just plain ridiculous. If he had nothing to lose, he would not sign.

Being injured in the offseason is a big issue for a player that has not signed a contract. This is the very reason that college plyers sign insurance policies before going pro....not being under contract puts Peppers at risk. Whether you think it is a major risk is your opinion. However, it is a risk none the less.

Peppers has a major accident and cannot play again....he gets absolutely nothing.

Peppers signs the tender and gets injured....he makes $17M this season.

This is not rocket science nor high level math....well maybe it is to you.

Please keep posting and showing that you are clueless....it provides amusement for the rest of us here.

The only fences that need to be mended are with some of the fans that went out of control because he expressed a desire to be somewhere else. Those fences can never be mended and are therefore not worth thinking about...

some other team didnt have that option because he hadn't...... wait for it.....

wait some more....

he hadn't signed his freakin franchise tender!

i'm not picking sides in this, but let's at least have our facts straight.

... when there are millions of dollars at stake the crooks come out to play... there was plenty of talk going on under the table and most of if concerned how overated Pep is for the money leading him to finally sign his tender for lack of a better deal. Something would have been done if the money was right...

It isn't rocket science.

Of course there will be a cap if not next year then in the future. Plus there are a number of things built into the current agreement which will incent players and owners to put in a salary cap. The late Gene Upshaw said that if they didn't reach an agreement next year that there wouldn't be one but that was rhetoric not fact.

If I remember correctly (didn't want to read all 360 odd pages again) there are still some limitations which keep teams from spending wildly. For example the top 8 clubs (playoff clubs) next year can't spend above a 30% increase over this year's cap number. So it eliminates power teams from getting more powerful. There are some other things as well.

I believe he signed the tender because he plans to sign longterm. Since the deadline for doing that is July 15, he had to do it now instead of waiting for another month or two.

But according to Crolls and Patriots fans there's no possible way he wants to stay long term. How can this be?

P55, I completely agree with you on this one. I think after hearing from teammates how much they loved Meeks's new system, and based on the inactivity of Peppers and his agent in the media, there is no doubt in my mind that he may have realized that the Panthers were really his best option.

But according to Crolls and Patriots fans there's no possible way he wants to stay long term. How can this be?

P55, I completely agree with you on this one. I think after hearing from teammates how much they loved Meeks's new system, and based on the inactivity of Peppers and his agent in the media, there is no doubt in my mind that he may have realized that the Panthers were really his best option.

please link where I said that he definitely does not want to sign long term..dumbazz

i just hope he's better towards the fans hoping to start over than fatty jenks was. that guy was an absolute prick to the fans his last year at training camp.

that applies to fans as well... They need to chill the fug out and not be pricks yelling ignorant poo while at training camp, and so on.

that applies to fans as well... They need to chill the fug out and not be pricks yelling ignorant poo while at training camp, and so on.

I agree!!

If you are a Panthers fans you will root for all the players to have a great year whether you like them or not. In the end, Peppers having a great year will benefit the team.

Archived