• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deangelo Williams! "Who am I?"

Phoenaxe

Yes solid logic and reasoning should be avoided beforehand.

It's a horrible thing I'm sure when facts disprove one's baseless assumptions. October was the start of Williams' scorching season, starting with KC...or did you forget that? If the stated logic was right, Jordan Gross wouldn't have made the pro bowl either. The truth is Williams didn't make it because he doesn't have the celebrity aura around him. He's purely a player and a great player, but people don't see small market players in the same light of reverence as they do for your Clinton Portis and Adrian Petersons.

It's an old article from last year, but it has some relevant material for this thread and makes some good points:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-probowlsnubs121608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

One line from the article stood out, and it had nothing to do with Williams. It was actually a quote about Brandon Jacobs:

“When was the last time you saw a safety try to square up on him?” the AFC executive asked. “He did it right in the opener when he ran over [Washington safety LaRon] Landry. He destroyed Landry. That was ugly, and now nobody wants to mess with him. Not one little bit. And the cornerbacks are worse, they just try to jump on a shoulder and then steer him out of bounds.”

That made me remember Chris Harris' hit in the Meadowlands (after the article was written). Somebody please post that clip again. I'd be willing to wager that Jacobs remembers it as a real eye opener, if not one of the best hits he's ever taken from a safety.

It's a horrible thing I'm sure when facts disprove one's baseless assumptions. October was the start of Williams' scorching season, starting with KC...or did you forget that? If the stated logic was right, Jordan Gross wouldn't have made the pro bowl either. The truth is Williams didn't make it because he doesn't have the celebrity aura around him. He's purely a player and a great player, but people don't see small market players in the same light of reverence as they do for your Clinton Portis and Adrian Petersons.

You're a fuging painfully stupid idiot who should take his own advice about thinking before speaking/typing. Actually, just thinking at all would make me happy. Part of the reason Gross was voted in to the Pro Bowl this season was because he had a solid season in 2007 as well. This is similar to when Morgan got voted in in 2004 because he had an insane amount of tackles in the Super Bowl the previous year. Also our line as a whole had performed well all season as far as consistently opening holes for both backs, even though neither had broken 1,000 yards before voting ended, and keeping Jake off of his back. Gross, in particular, played exceptionally well. Yes, Williams didn't get in because he didn't have the celebrity aura around him, but I suppose Jordan Gross, a fuging tackle, did. But don't let that stop you from going on a rampage of factual inaccuracies and nonsense and being all-around ill-informed about, well, everything.

I think as long as williams and stewart are here only true football scouts will give them the props they deserve. The media and fans won't give them as much props as they deserve because they split carries.

I disagree. I think starting this coming year the panthers rbs will get a lot more respect, especially Dwill. After a year like Williams had last year, his production cannot be disputed. I'm not saying he will be talked about as much as adrian peterson, but not because he isn't as good. Peterson just became an NFL poster child after a monster rookie year on a team that he really carried offensivilly. People like to hear about him. Williams was in his third year and sat behind a rb who was not considered that great. But with ffb, even casual fans are expecting a lot from Dwill this coming year. Alot of people know what a beast he is.

As for Stewart, he will probably be considered Dwill's sidekick until he truley breaks out, and maybe rightfully so.

No one expected too much from Dwill last year, and even saw the drafting of Stewart as the FO not having much faith in him. He has higher expectations coming into this year not only from scouts and coaches, but from the media and fans.

It's a horrible thing I'm sure when facts disprove one's baseless assumptions. October was the start of Williams' scorching season, starting with KC...or did you forget that?

technically, arizona was the start of williams's "pro bowl" worthy season.

it's kinda tough to say kansas city was when his production turned ugly the next 2 games.

The truth is Williams didn't make it because he doesn't have the celebrity aura around him. He's purely a player and a great player, but people don't see small market players in the same light of reverence as they do for your Clinton Portis and Adrian Petersons.

i don't buy the whole small market excuse.

it's not the fact that certain players are in certain market teams it's the fact that those players have already done what williams is doing...only they did it from day one. this is williams's 3rd season, and while we as panther fans jumped on him from day one, he himself has done nothing up until midway thru last season to attract the type of attention that some of you think he deserves.

clinton portis and adrian peterson have earned their spotlight. it has nothing to do with who they play for.

someone will come along as say williams is better than so and so because of blah blah blah. reality is, williams is a late bloomer and while he was a top tier RB last season, he still has a lot to prove before he can stand on the pedestal that some of you have placed him on.

Clinton Portis is getting run into the ground with 325+ carries in 4 of the last five years. He's an awesome back who was plugged into the Denver machine in his rookie season. He averaged 5.5 in the first two years with them, was traded and is now being overused. I'm not surprised he made the Pro Bowl last year, but he is getting rode hard and put away wet. Carolina would be well served by maintaining the strategy of splitting the workload. I'm not into comparing running backs, but I do know that Williams has his career ahead of him, and I'm glad he's a Panther.

Clinton Portis is getting run into the ground with 325+ carries in 4 of the last five years. He's an awesome back who was plugged into the Denver machine in his rookie season. He averaged 5.5 in the first two years with them, was traded and is now being overused. I'm not surprised he made the Pro Bowl last year, but he is getting rode hard and put away wet. Carolina would be well served by maintaining the strategy of splitting the workload. I'm not into comparing running backs, but I do know that Williams has his career ahead of him, and I'm glad he's a Panther.

It may be a good long term strategy for both of them.

It may be a good long term strategy for both of them.
One only needs to look at Denver around 1997-1999 to see that they had an awesome O-line/ run game that produced some great stats for Terrell Davis(drafted 1995). Too bad that T.D. had injury problems after that. Hard to believe that he is only 36 years old this year.

First let me say I think D'Will is one of the best backs in the league. I think he got screwed out of his 1st two seasons because of D. Foster. I also believe having J. Stewart as a part of the Duo does him wonders.

That all being said. His improvement correlates to the Jelling of the offensive line. The big Nasties and Brad Hoover deserve a good portion of the credit. When D Will reaches the linebackers before he is touched it has alot to do with them kicking some ass up front. Brad Hoover's contribution should never be underestimated. IMO Hoover should have been with D Will in the PRO BOWL as well. Both got robbed.

First let me say I think D'Will is one of the best backs in the league. I think he got screwed out of his 1st two seasons because of D. Foster. I also believe having J. Stewart as a part of the Duo does him wonders.

That all being said. His improvement correlates to the Jelling of the offensive line. The big Nasties and Brad Hoover deserve a good portion of the credit. When D Will reaches the linebackers before he is touched it has alot to do with them kicking some ass up front. Brad Hoover's contribution should never be underestimated. IMO Hoover should have been with D Will in the PRO BOWL as well. Both got robbed.

Yup, yet for whatever reason, there's this great yearning for some to see us cut Hoover and start a rookie

Archived