• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers will have $10 million in cap space on June 2nd

PantherFeez

The Carolina Panthers used the [June 1st designation] rule to release linebacker James Anderson. They'll receive $2.9 million in savings and will have $10 million in total cap space.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208385/article/salarycap-relief-coming-for-10-nfl-teams-on-june-2?campaign=Twitter_writers_rapsheet

Nothing really to read, just good news considering we have $9M in dead money in 2014 that we need to consider (not to mention contracts with Hardy, Cam and LaFell that will have to be taken care of)

I'm trying to remember the last time we had 10 million in cap space going into the summer with all draft picks and important free agents under contract.

Let's just say that it has been awhile.

That 10 million won't last for long though, especially with our impending free agents next season.

If people are griping about Gettleman now they are really going to be pissed next season.

Hadn't really thought about LaFell's contract coming up. He's got 118 catches, 1758 receiving yards yards, 8 TDs, 2 Fumbles, and 4 rushes for 95 yards over 3 seasons. That'd be pretty good for a slot, but 600 yards per year just isn't enough production for a #2.

Yeah, you could argue Olsen was our true #2 the last couple years, but still I wonder if it'll be worth it to sign Lafell to a bigger non-rookie scale contract. He's a great possession receiver, and always makes tough catches, but isn't terribly fast. He actually reminds me of Anquan Boldin in that way. Part of me thinks though that with Cam, we could get 600 yards and 3 TDS out of any mid-level FA  WR, ie Ginn or Hixon. Or even a rookie.

This probably deserves a thread of its own. Definitely interesting to think about though, whether LaFell gets any of this cap space.

Archived