• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network: Franchise QB, Wilson or Cam?

JawnyBlaze

That's not true. A terrible third down efficiency was a big reason the offense didn't score more.

However, despite that, the Panthers offense was still rated very highly on most of those analytic sites. 

The reason why? Because the Panthers TOP was less than many other similar or highly ranked teams. 

However, despite that, the Panthers offense was still rated very highly on most of those analytic sites. 

The reason why? Because the Panthers TOP was less than many other similar or highly ranked teams. 

I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm just saying the defense not giving them more opportunities isn't the only reason. Not converting third downs was a big reason the TOP was lower.

Line Wilson or Kap up in Carolina and line Cam up in San Fran.......not a fair comparison with supporting talent. I will stick with Cam. The supporting cast makes a huge difference in rating players.When Clausen was throwing to Smitty he looked like a bad receiver...same deal 

I think they are both great.  I am a big fan of Russell, but Cam has more talent than any QB I can remember in a long time. 

I am biased, but I think that Cam is still just scratching the surface of his potential, whereas I think guys like Luck, Dalton, and Russell are about as good as they are going to be.  I mean they all have room to grow, but I think Cam has more talent and more room to grow than any of the big 6 (Luck, Russell, Kap, Dalton, RG3, and Cam)

cam does have a lot of room to grow, but why would you think the others are about as good as they are going to be?

cam does have a lot of room to grow, but why would you think the others are about as good as they are going to be?

Perhaps I didn't articulate my point as well as I should have.

All the QBS have room to grow and get better and I think that they will.  But Cam has a higher ceiling than any of them, and I think that he is still not even close to his ceiling.

The other 5 guys I think have lower ceilings and are closer to their ceilings.

Look at the other 5 just in terms of starts in college

Luck- 3 year starter

RG3- 3 year starter

Dalton- 4 year starter

Russell- 4 years starter (at two different schools)

Kap-  4 year starter (basically:  he was the back up for the first 4 games his freshman year but starter got hurt and he took over)

Cam- 1 year

When I listen to Cam when he talks about what he is learning these are things that other QBs like the 5 above have already gotten comfortable with in college.  Basic things like understanding down and distance, etc. are things that multiple year starter in college have understood long before they get to the NFL.

Cam is still just learning how to play QB.

I think all 5 other guys have a limited ceiling based on the physical abilities.  RG3 is small and at times reckless with his body, Luck doesn't have elite arm strength, Russell is small and doesn't have elite arm strength, Dalton doesn't have great arm strength and is not very mobile, Kap doesn't have the strength in short yardage rushing situations that have made Cam so valuable (Kap has the next highest ceiling to Cam out of all these guys IMO).

Cam has the strongest arm out of that group except maybe Kap, he is as good a runner and scrambler as anyone in that group, he is stronger and harder to tackle than anyone in that group, he is bigger and taller than anyone in that group.

Just in terms of talent and physical gifts he has no weak spot.  He still has some tweaking to do fundamentally.  But the biggest thing for Cam, and the thing that will progress him the most is just continued gaining of experience. 

But I think every one of those guys are ahead of Cam on the mental curve of playing QB, and it isn't because Cam is dumb or a slow learner, but it is simply because of less experience.  Once he catches up to those guys there won't be any question who the best young QB in this league is.  It will be Cam Newton.

Perhaps I didn't articulate my point as well as I should have.

All the QBS have room to grow and get better and I think that they will.  But Cam has a higher ceiling than any of them, and I think that he is still not even close to his ceiling.

The other 5 guys I think have lower ceilings and are closer to their ceilings.

Look at the other 5 just in terms of starts in college

Luck- 3 year starter

RG3- 3 year starter

Dalton- 4 year starter

Russell- 4 years starter (at two different schools)

Kap-  4 year starter (basically:  he was the back up for the first 4 games his freshman year but starter got hurt and he took over)

Cam- 1 year

When I listen to Cam when he talks about what he is learning these are things that other QBs like the 5 above have already gotten comfortable with in college.  Basic things like understanding down and distance, etc. are things that multiple year starter in college have understood long before they get to the NFL.

Cam is still just learning how to play QB.

I think all 5 other guys have a limited ceiling based on the physical abilities.  RG3 is small and at times reckless with his body, Luck doesn't have elite arm strength, Russell is small and doesn't have elite arm strength, Dalton doesn't have great arm strength and is not very mobile, Kap doesn't have the strength in short yardage rushing situations that have made Cam so valuable (Kap has the next highest ceiling to Cam out of all these guys IMO).

Cam has the strongest arm out of that group except maybe Kap, he is as good a runner and scrambler as anyone in that group, he is stronger and harder to tackle than anyone in that group, he is bigger and taller than anyone in that group.

Just in terms of talent and physical gifts he has no weak spot.  He still has some tweaking to do fundamentally.  But the biggest thing for Cam, and the thing that will progress him the most is just continued gaining of experience. 

But I think every one of those guys are ahead of Cam on the mental curve of playing QB, and it isn't because Cam is dumb or a slow learner, but it is simply because of less experience.  Once he catches up to those guys there won't be any question who the best young QB in this league is.  It will be Cam Newton.

Excellent post. 

However, I'd like to say: Just cause you're more experienced and done certain things before in college, it doesn't mean you could/can do them now in the NFL

I know it's fashionable for some of us to give the others the benefit of the doubt on experience and pure QB skills. However, If we actually look at Luck, RG3 and Kaep more closely, we can make the argument that Cam already does many things better than the others, and it's just that Kaep, RG3, and Wilson are better protected/their deficiencies are hidden better an more often. Of course, Luck was in a similar situation to Cam. 

Except for Wilson (and maybe Luck), I don't think any of those guys have the pocket presence [Cam's size, strength and patience to survey, hang in there] and respect from the defense the way Cam does.

From what I can see, RG3 and Kaep's man goal is to get the ball out of their hands as quickly as possible, if the play calling and run game doesn't fake the defense out of their shoes to begin with. How often do these guys drop back (the way Cam does) trying to make, and wait for a play to develop with out trickery? Remember, Harbaugh made Career bust, Alex Smith into a top rated passer. So what makes us think that Kaep is the second coming, especially based off of 10 games?

It can also be asked, how/what would those guys do if they were on the Panthers team the past two years? Just think about that?

That makes Cam's lack of experience, compared to the others even more impressive, I think. And he still has his upside that you discussed as well.  

everyone else get's an opinion so here's mine!

both great quarterbacks that are very different.  Wilson was a rookie last year who had the reigns in pretty tight for the first half of the season or more.  I think to compare the two fully, you'd have to see what he comes with in season 2!

Archived