• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Triple Trouble ?

QuasiYoda

http://www.examiner.com/x-3808-Carolina-Panthers-Examiner~y2009m6d8-4th-round-pick-Mike-Goodson-turning-heads-at-practice

"Last Tuesday morning was the exception, it was a awesome play by rookie Mike Goodson. Goodson left most of the players in awe with his speed. It was not a technical move he just stepped to the right followed by a quick cut up the field. But his speed on the play was the Panthers were looking for when they drafted him in the fourth round."

"Look for Goodson on kickoff returns, where his speed could prove invaluable as teams adjust to the league-mandated outlaw of the wedge return formation. But on punt returns, the work Tuesday morning was ceded to wide receiver Larry Beavers"

I understand that, go back and re-read my original post...

What is it about my question of where he fits that makes you question my opinion?

Do we see a repetition here?...

He's a talented player, I know he's technically a running back but I was just putting into light that his talent translates into several positions on the field where he can contribute. Basically he can free up a roster spot by being available to return punts (Ryne is better at kickoffs anyways) be a slot receiver or even play on the outside. Not to mention he can be a good change of pace back given his speed.

And yes.

I've got to admit I'm a little perplexed. I mean, we can't handle 3 backs with what we have in 1 and 2. Goings is gone, I know, but this kid has too much talent to be a Goings player. Where is he going to fit in?

if he's good enough, he'll fit in wherever he's needed. that could be halfback in an obvious passing situation, in the slot, screens, return game... they wouldn't have drafted him if they didn't plan to put him to work, given his skills. also stewart isn't exactly an iron man at this stage in his career. i feel alright giving him a shot at being there for "stewart out for the 2nd half, 3rd and 7 and d-will is winded" type scenarios as well.

if he's not a difference maker then he could have a short, uneventful stay with the panthers. let's hope his attitude in the case of minimal playing time is different from his attitude of general "discontent" when sherman didn't give him as much burn his last year in college.

if he's good enough, he'll fit in wherever he's needed. that could be halfback in an obvious passing situation, in the slot, screens, return game... they wouldn't have drafted him if they didn't plan to put him to work, given his skills. also stewart isn't exactly an iron man at this stage in his career. i feel alright giving him a shot at being there for "stewart out for the 2nd half, 3rd and 7 and d-will is winded" type scenarios as well.

if he's not a difference maker then he could have a short, uneventful stay with the panthers. let's hope his attitude in the case of minimal playing time is different from his attitude of general "discontent" when sherman didn't give him as much burn his last year in college.

Man I may be getting ahead of myself but with this guys talent I could see us using him as our 5th WR our 3RB and our KR or PR. Think of how that roster space could be used. How bad would it be if we were able to have 5 or 6 DE's on the roster. I really think it would allow us to get better and more consistent pressure on the QB. I think if he pans out this guy to make the whole team better.

Triple Trouble Anybody ?

Goodson looks . . well, Good, Son!

Great Offensive lines bring out the best in their running backs. Contrary to what most may think this kid has a good chance to contribute to an already stellar running game. He has good hands too . . . coming out of the back field in a two back set, will have the defense stacking line for the run Whoopsie

:hurray:

Thanks Cat Craver

Excellent ramp up speed, change of direction, balance, and instinct to follow his blocks effectively. However, I am concerned by the way he holds the ball away from his body. This is a fumbling issue waiting to be exploited. I expect this is much of why he fell as far as he did in the draft.

If that doesnt get corrected, then it will cost us at least a game if he gets an appreciable amount of playing time.

Archived