• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looks like the Hornets are officially back!

CardiacCats

Still holding out hope that we can get the full transition done by the start of the coming season opener.

I hope so too but I am not holding my breath. Will be weird next year knowing and being excited about the Hornets coming back but still watching the Bobcats even though they are going to be essentially the same players..

Seems unlikely they could transition that fast but I am holding out hope that we have been putting pieces in place for a while now behind the scenes and the fact that the NBA owns it can expedite the process

I hope so too but I am not holding my breath. Will be weird next year knowing and being excited about the Hornets coming back but still watching the Bobcats even though they are going to be essentially the same players..

Seems unlikely they could transition that fast but I am holding out hope that we have been putting pieces in place for a while now behind the scenes and the fact that the NBA owns it can expedite the process

Agreed man... I'm really starting to think the polls were irrelevant and MJ was already working towards it since last offseason when you take Silver's comments last season into account. He even specifically mentioned the process could be sped up b/c they already owned the rights... If that's the case, I'm just really hoping the announcement at this point is a formality and that they were already working behind the scenes to transition over quickly.

As you, and many others have said, it just doesn't make any sense to play another season as the Cats knowing we're going back to the Hornets. I'm just hoping they had the foresight and already knew they were going to make the switch when they heard New Orleans was going to give the name up and prepared accordingly. I don't think the jerseys and merchandise will be the problem, I think "refacing" the arena is another story though.

Even if they rush it, it would be incredibly hard to get the merchandise, arena. team jersey's and legal issues all set up before this season. It would be awesome if they could pull it off, but I doubt it. If they've been working on it behind the scenes then why pay the money for the survey company to collect data or wait this late to make an announcement. 18 months is the general time table for these changes, which would put it close to the start of the 2014 season. 

I don't understand how we can't have all this done in time for next season.  There shouldn't be any legal issues really since the NBA owns the rights/naming already.  It's just going to be a loss of revenue because who is going to buy ANY Bobcats stuff period?   Either or, it's still exciting.

I don't understand how we can't have all this done in time for next season.  There shouldn't be any legal issues really since the NBA owns the rights/naming already.  It's just going to be a loss of revenue because who is going to buy ANY Bobcats stuff period?   Either or, it's still exciting.

Because you only really have 4 months to get everything done.  Sure it might seem possible but most likely everything is getting printed up now for next season.  Also read it has to mostly with the electronic media most.

Agreed man... I'm really starting to think the polls were irrelevant and MJ was already working towards it since last offseason when you take Silver's comments last season into account. He even specifically mentioned the process could be sped up b/c they already owned the rights... If that's the case, I'm just really hoping the announcement at this point is a formality and that they were already working behind the scenes to transition over quickly.

As you, and many others have said, it just doesn't make any sense to play another season as the Cats knowing we're going back to the Hornets. I'm just hoping they had the foresight and already knew they were going to make the switch when they heard New Orleans was going to give the name up and prepared accordingly. I don't think the jerseys and merchandise will be the problem, I think "refacing" the arena is another story though.

It's possible. My mother works for the bobcats. Nothing big or in the know, but she was saying last season there were little things (badges, etc) that they went without. Maybe because they weren't wasting the energy printing them up?

It was pretty crazy hearing WFNZ The Fan actually talking about the Hornets name change as their main topic this morning.  I'd love to have Hornets discussions being just as important/interesting as Panthers discussions in this city eventually.

Archived